Back to Back BJJ Tournaments

boogieman4215

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was wondering if you any of you guys did a tournament back to back weekends. Usually the week before a tournament I would tamper down my training, and I would recover/chill for one week till I resume regular training (I usually train 4 to 5 times a week, I do this to prevent burn outs and overtraining) just wanted to hear some thoughts and advice, thanks in advance!

Assuming you don't get injured in your first I don't see any problem.

I would probably not take the next week off though. Maybe roll light, do some drilling. Just stay loose.

Did 3 tournaments in 30 days from the end of March thru the end of April. IBJJF Chicago Open, Michigan Open No-Gi, and Toledo Open. Took bronze in Chicago and Toledo. Lost both matches at the no-gi. I don't even care that I lost both of those matches, as we didn't start our actual no-gi class at the academy til the week after the tournament. Me and one of my teammates had been working no-gi at open mat for a while, and got the blessing of our instructor to participate in the no-gi tournament.

Got another nice streak of tournaments coming up starting the last Saturday in June. 5 Grappling in Hammond, IN, Buckeye State Grappling Championship 2nd Saturday in July, then IBJJF Chicago Summer Open in early August.

I absolutely love competing.

Did 3 tournaments in 30 days from the end of March thru the end of April. IBJJF Chicago Open, Michigan Open No-Gi, and Toledo Open. Took bronze in Chicago and Toledo. Lost both matches at the no-gi. I don't even care that I lost both of those matches, as we didn't start our actual no-gi class at the academy til the week after the tournament. Me and one of my teammates had been working no-gi at open mat for a while, and got the blessing of our instructor to participate in the no-gi tournament.

Got another nice streak of tournaments coming up starting the last Saturday in June. 5 Grappling in Hammond, IN, Buckeye State Grappling Championship 2nd Saturday in July, then IBJJF Chicago Summer Open in early August.

I absolutely love competing.

did you read the initial post?

anyway, from my experience, i usually get pretty beat up at tournaments because it's 100% intensity, so i'd be hesitant to sign up for one too close......but that's a risk you were willing to take. just know that it can go many different ways and try to be as prepared as possible for that amount of competition in such a short period. good luck!

If there are still any questions as to the differences between bjj and wrestling, here is a question that points out a glaring difference.

2 bjj tournaments on consecutive weekends? Yikes! Take all practices off. Only sleep between the two, nothing else. Burn no extra calories so you can have enough for the blue belt under 30 but over 5'8" divisions. Jesus.

Even with wrestling tournaments EVERY Saturday and a dual meet every Thursday we still had practice, lifting, and running.

Should you compete on back to back weekends? How about, do you want to?

Seems related. Cleber Luciano won a 3-round battle in Bellator last year, on a Saturday. He still competed in the No-Gi Worlds the very next day (Sunday) and won gold. That's as back-to-back as it gets so it's definitely possible.

Thanks for reply guys. Appreciate the answers. Maybe between the two tournaments I would taper down my training.

jdc48160 do you train full time? Kinda cool you compete like that!

The Apostle - yah I admit wrestlers are hard core and very tough workers! I want to put my son into wrestling but up in Canada there isn't a lot of wrestling programs. I actually compete in the Masters division at heavy weight. I have a full time job with a wife and kid (with another one on the the way). Where I am from we don't have tournaments every weekend like California lol. I am going on vacation and it so happens where I am going a tournament is going to be running at same time.

I would love to travel and compete, but right now financially and with my current obligations I get to compete in like 4 or 5 local tournaments a year.

Those are my excuses lol.

Back