Back injury and legs

Morgano

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Okay because of a disc injury in my lumbar I can't do anything that puts compression on my spine. Since back squats are out, I went to front squats, but this unfortunately didn't work out too well either. I'd like to get a little bit more explosion in my legs.

So i was planning on doing lunges. What are the benefits/drawbacks of them. and since I can't do anything that'll compress my spine, can you guys name some other lifts I could do?

For the last few months I've been regulated to just upper body lifts, and it sucks because my legs are tiny now and and I lost running speed.

hip belt squats if you feel like spending the $

You might want to read this post in Eric Cressey's blog regarding unilateral leg work.

I like doing Bulgarian split squats with a clean grip to help practice my clean grip. I've done them with zercher grip as well and eh....

Hip belt squats are the answer to your problem.

Wow, Ahab and I are one in mind, purpose, and being. Just like the father, son and the holy ghost. Praise the lord.

thanks for the link, this injury sucks so much I've had to stop squatting deadlifting and cleaning....it's absolutely awful.

-step ups with DBs
-lunges with DBs
-hack squats
-sumo deadlifts
-deadlifts with DBs

bump, i also am coming off a severe back injury and would like to know more about this. my back is feeling a lot better and it actually has felt even better since i started doing deadlifts, squats and rows. very light weight for now. i started doing deadlifts with just the bar, but i have definitely noticed a decrease in my lower back pain.

bump, i also am coming off a severe back injury and would like to know more about this. my back is feeling a lot better and it actually has felt even better since i started doing deadlifts, squats and rows. very light weight for now. i started doing deadlifts with just the bar, but i have definitely noticed a decrease in my lower back pain.

What kind of injury? How did it happen? What are you doing about it besides lifting?

i have 2 worn down discs. when i got xrays i was told that between the vertebrae i should have 15 degrees between them, but i have 5. my back had been sore but b/c i was ignorant i ignored it until one day in the gym it popped. i was on the couch for 2 weeks.

other than lifting, i have done yoga off and on, i stretch all the time, and i saw a chiro for a few years, but stopped. i really never noticed a difference with the chiro, but did get some good advice about exercises and stretching. lifting weights carefully and BJJ have made the most difference. BJJ i believe b/c of the different exercises and stretches i learned through warm-ups that i have incorporated into my gym time.

Your injury is a lot different than mine, but everything I've read recently (specifically "Lower Back Disorders by Stuart McGill) advises against stretching the lumbar spine. It has to do with stability vs. mobility, but I don't have the knowledge to explain it any better.

I'm assuming it's lumbar even though you didn't say which vertebrae you're having trouble with. Chiropractors didn't offer anything but temporary relief and an empty wallet for me. I get much more milage out of ART (Active Release Therapy). I'm not sure how long you've had your problem, but physical therapy is worth looking into aswell.

One last thing. I've noticed that sitting for long periods of time aggravates my back (at the spot of injury). I now have a desk that's adjustable, so I can stand most of the day. It's helped a lot.

Your injury is a lot different than mine, but everything I've read recently (specifically "Lower Back Disorders by Stuart McGill) advises against stretching the lumbar spine. It has to do with stability vs. mobility, but I don't have the knowledge to explain it any better.

I'm assuming it's lumbar even though you didn't say which vertebrae you're having trouble with. Chiropractors didn't offer anything but temporary relief and an empty wallet for me. I get much more milage out of ART (Active Release Therapy). I'm not sure how long you've had your problem, but physical therapy is worth looking into aswell.

One last thing. I've noticed that sitting for long periods of time aggravates my back (at the spot of injury). I now have a desk that's adjustable, so I can stand most of the day. It's helped a lot.

thanks for that info. it is lumbar. and the same with me, if i sit for prolonged periods of time, it kills me the most. i usually have to lay on the ground and stretch or i will walk funny. i'll read up on Stuart McGill and check out ART.

Rather than bending forward to stretch the lumbar, I get more relief from stretching my hip flexors or laying face up on a swiss ball, using it to arch my back.

Good luck

Hey, you should do spinal decompression as well. Aim for daily for about 3-5 minutes. use straps if your grip is going to give out, which it probably will.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqvthfgDku8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqvthfgDku8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Awesome stuff above...

Interesting with your stretching bacon (or lack of), it seems to alleviate my back pain, but the thing that helps the most is actively moving around (makes sense).

Whats holding me back from doing anything lately is due to sitting all day school / work.

blarg.

Awesome stuff above...

Interesting with your stretching bacon (or lack of), it seems to alleviate my back pain, but the thing that helps the most is actively moving around (makes sense).

Whats holding me back from doing anything lately is due to sitting all day school / work.

blarg.

The temporary relief you get from stretching the lumbar spine is just that. Temporary. But Dr. Stuart McGill explains it a hell of a lot better than I can.

How did the back injury occur ?

He's secretly hoping that you guys hurt yourselves lifting weights. That way he can justify his inefficient training protocol. Free weights are safer that machines. Amen.

I knew that's why he was asking.

For the record, my back was fucked up initially in a snowboarding accident and made worse by a motorcycle accident. Also for the record, deadlifts helped the pain.

Disclaimer: Everyone and every injury is different.

He's secretly hoping that you guys hurt yourselves lifting weights. That way he can justify his inefficient training protocol. Free weights are safer that machines. Amen.

i can plus one this one. when my back "popped" i was doing leg extensions.

Back