Back Extensions

RukshawM4st3r

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm doing back extensions as per Starting Strength. Right now just 10xbwx3. Should I be adding weight to these sets? How do you do that safely...?

There are no back extensions in starting strength.

hes talking about the practical programming recommendation where you alternate deadlifts power cleans and back extensions? I really dont have an good answer i would just try to add a little weight where you can or reps.

hes talking about the practical programming recommendation where you alternate deadlifts power cleans and back extensions? I really dont have an good answer i would just try to add a little weight where you can or reps.

they are really in there to give you a break from pulling every other time

Well if it says "bw" that means you don't add weight. But 3x10 back extensions with no added weight seems silly.

I'd either add total bodyweight reps, until you reached around 100, or add weight. If you're using a 45 degree back extension, you can easily hold a barbell to add as much weight as you like. Otherwise you have to settle for a DB held across the chest.

But I don't like the idea of swapping out deadlifts for back extensions, even part of the time, barring deload, or backing off DLs to focus more on other lifts that tax the PC. If you're finding it difficult to deadlift every other workout, I'd suggest (A) have your technique checked, and (B) Do lighter deadlifts and high rep back extensions every other time you deadlift.

Tosa, I don't like leaving them out either but that's what the program calls for. here's what it looks like for a two week Run

Monday
Squat
Press
Deadlift

Wednesday
Squat
Bench
Back ext

Friday
Squat
Press
Power Clean

***Week 2

Monday
Squat
Bench
Back ext

Wednesday
Squat
Press
Deadlift

Friday
Squat
Bench
Back Ext

I don't like the look of that SS variation. Can you pick another one?

this is for a more advanced novice it starts out deadlifting every workout then you move to alternating deadlifts and power cleans when that wears off you insert back extensions....personally i dont do back extensions i subbed pendlay rows in you get some lower back work with them

Doing power cleans once every two weeks seems odd.

yea im not sure about that either I am experimenting.... personally i am just alternating every every 4 days looks like......

sun dead
mon
tues
wed
thurs clean
fri
sat

sun
mon dead
tues
wed
thur
fri clean
sat

I think I'm just going to alternate powercleans/dealifts every other workout.

I understand it's for the advanced novice, but I still don't like it.

I understand it's for the advanced novice, but I still don't like it.

Yea, I think I'd benefit more from the increased frequency right now. I'm not at the point where once per week is enough.

It's a misconception that as you advance, you necessarily train lifts less often. You can train lifts even more often as you advance. It's just that some of those sessions will be more moderate, some will be fairly easy, and some will be heavy or maximal.

With an advanced Sheiko routine, for example, you might perform some variation of deadlift two or three times a week, and twice on some of those days.

It's a misconception that as you advance, you necessarily train lifts less often. You can train lifts even more often as you advance. It's just that some of those sessions will be more moderate, some will be fairly easy, and some will be heavy or maximal.

With an advanced Sheiko routine, for example, you might perform some variation of deadlift two or three times a week, and twice on some of those days.

Have you considered writing a book of your own Tosa like Keo?....i'd buy it

Have you considered writing a book of your own Tosa like Keo?....i'd buy it

I don't have Keo's resume, and I can't think of anything especially unique I'd have to say, that's sufficiently developed in my mind, to write a books worth about. At this point the best I could offer would be an attempt at meta-analysis of other works, and methods.

I don't have Keo's resume, and I can't think of anything especially unique I'd have to say, that's sufficiently developed in my mind, to write a books worth about. At this point the best I could offer would be an attempt at meta-analysis of other works, and methods.

Im sure you could generate enough interest in doing that. This is probably a selfish request though.

Back