Babalu Sobral on Fabricio Werdum: "He'll be the champion in 2013-14."

Well, I'm sure Babalu thought Babalu was going to be champion at one point, so take it with a grain of salt.

It's hard to take much away from their first fight, considering how ridiculously out of shape Werdum was and the fact that it was JDS' UFC debut and no one knew anything about him.

Werdum's striking looked great against guys like Nelson and Russow, but we've seen him shy away from striking with Overeem. Unfortunately, the guy doesn't have power behind his strikes.

Obviously his length gives him a decent start at developing his muay thai, but he'll always be a grappler based fighter.

He was a champion. But I do not see Werdum being the HW champion, I wonder if he could make LHW. Probably not.

Well, I'm sure Babalu thought Babalu was going to be champion at one point, so take it with a grain of salt.

I dont see it happening.....top contender yes, but not champion

Werdum's striking looked great against guys like Nelson and Russow, but we've seen him shy away from striking with Overeem. Unfortunately, the guy doesn't have power behind his strikes.

Obviously his length gives him a decent start at developing his muay thai, but he'll always be a grappler based fighter.

He did shy away from striking with Reem but when he was forced to stand and trade, Werdum was actually landing pretty consistently. Just felt like pointing that out. He did get hands on Reem's chin quite a few times in that fight.

pillow fists, good knees, good ground game but i dont see him winning vs dos santos

He was a champion. But I do not see Werdum being the HW champion, I wonder if he could make LHW. Probably not.

So you're saying that Babalu predicts that Werdum will win some random non-UFC belt in the next two years?

He did shy away from striking with Reem but when he was forced to stand and trade, Werdum was actually landing pretty consistently. Just felt like pointing that out. He did get hands on Reem's chin quite a few times in that fight.

Yep, he did great landing decent knees on Overeem, but then when Overeem countered he flopped to his back. Werdum is not a great striker because he isn't willing to commit when he is striking unless he is fighting guys like Nelson and Russow.

Werdum is one hell of a fighter but I dont see anyone with his style of fighting beating Dos Santos. JDS will likely only lose to superior striker with an amazing chin; Overeem has the style but probably not the chin to beat him.

Back