B.J. Penn retirement update: 'Prodigy' plans to 'take some time' before future

Who cares? I only want to see him fight if he actually trains for the fight, is in shape and is at an actual weightclass he belongs at. If not, he can go play with Rampage in once upon a time land.

Don't wanna see him return unless it's at LW.

BJ was great, but even a return at LW is a bad idea. He's shot. All those jumps between weight classes might have been possible for a more committed and athletic fighter, but BJ isn't that guy.

Don't get me wrong: That dude is WAY talented. But he lacks other ingredients, and dicking around with different weights only hurt him.

BJ was great, but even a return at LW is a bad idea. He's shot. All those jumps between weight classes might have been possible for a more committed and athletic fighter, but BJ isn't that guy.

Don't get me wrong: That dude is WAY talented. But he lacks other ingredients, and dicking around with different weights only hurt him.

He was on the right track with the Marinovich's and this last camp had some really good training partners.

But we won't see it - too small for 170 and does not want to put in the work to make 155 anymore.

just feed him a couple LW cans till he calls it quits

fun fight - koscheck

easy win - amir sadollah

He was on the right track with the Marinovich's and this last camp had some really good training partners.

But we won't see it - too small for 170 and does not want to put in the work to make 155 anymore.

This is exceptionally well said. Sad, but stated quite perfectly.

Penn is one of the few guys who isn't fighting for the cash.

Yeah, rich people don't need more money! :p

And by the way, I highly doubt Penn is going to retire. He probably makes too much money from fighting to quit now.

BJ should come back at LW. Heck maybe even at FW, since a lot of guys at 145 like Aldo walk around the same weight as an in shape BJ (165-70). I doubt he can cut to 145, so BJ if you want to come back- 155 is waiting. Frankie is no longer there so you have a fresh start back at your natural weight.

BJ should come back at LW. Heck maybe even at FW, since a lot of guys at 145 like Aldo walk around the same weight as an in shape BJ (165-70). I doubt he can cut to 145, so BJ if you want to come back- 155 is waiting. Frankie is no longer there so you have a fresh start back at your natural weight.

It would be interesting to see BJ back at 155 and face guys like Nate Diaz. If he couldn't beat Nick, might as well try to beat up his little brother :icon_chee.

Penn was very motivated and in shape for the Rory fight. There is no way Penn will ever make 155 again, not even with Dolce

With Edgar out of the picture and no longer holding the belt, the time for another run at 155 is now IMO. I think he should have taken the fight with Gilbert Melendez, it would have fast tracked him right back into contention had he won.

He's getting up there in age, there isn't much time left.

Not quite. The Penn family's loaded.

Doesn't matter how much money he had, we don't know what his financials are - what he's got himself into. Are his parents still supporting him? Does he work with his family - why would they still give him money? I'm sure BJ Penn was making at least half a million per fight - now even coming from a millionaire family this is substantial amount of money. Probably a lot more than his allowance.

I would like to see him going for one more run at lightweight.

Back