B.J. Penn is NOT the LW GOAT. Not even close.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Scyther, Jan 12, 2015.

1. rpn453

rpn453 Brown Belt

He never dominated the LW division the way Fedor, Jones, Anderson, GSP, or Aldo dominated their respective divisions, so it will be easier for someone to surpass him than many other divisions. But IMO he still is the GOAT of a very volatile division. At his peak, his performances were spectacular, including those against the two best welterweights of the time: Hughes and GSP, who were much larger. On paper, his accomplishments may not seem that impressive now, but nobody at lightweight has made the sort of impact that BJ did during his best years. It was great to watch.

2. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

It's easy to put it that way if you ignore the context of time. Din Thomas and Caol Uno were both just as good of wins as Maynard was. Din Thomas was even able to beat Jeremy Stephens and Clay Guida late in his career.

That's the ignorance of threads like these. They ignore the fact that people fall out of their primes and the phrase "You're only as good as your last fight", although false, is reinforced.

One day a new young fan will say Maynard was just another tough guy and nothing more.

3. BJJesus

BJJesus Blue Belt

I personally think that edgar is the GOAT at lightweight but its all a matter of opinion so no real point in arguing something that cant be proven.

4. Scyther

Scyther Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Who's done better? Well first off Frankie beat BJ twice and has other good wins besides B.J. so he should automatically be above Penn on everyone's list. If beating the supposed GOAT twice doesn't make you GOAT what does.

So let's get this straight, barely winning, or rematches devalues a win? Have you even stopped to consider it's a sign that a fighter is facing a tough opponent that's very skilled and his equal. That's exactly, what Bendo faced when he fought Frankie twice, and Gilbert Melendez.

However, anytime we saw BJ face stiff competition or on the losing side of things he tended to crumble and just give up.

5. ThefGabbana

ThefGabbana Orange Belt

even if Benson would do that (not saying he couldn't) he hasn't. I dont use this 'logic' to justify bj's goatness at 155 i just think it adds to it.. what other fighters have that ability? and yea i think andy is by far the goat at MW but thats not only because of his wins at LHW. The wins at LHW just add to his already incredible career.

6. ClassAction

ClassAction Orange Belt

Can't believe it took 9 replies to get to motivated Penn. I'm disappointed.

7. ROFLknife

ROFLknife Purple Belt

8. TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

I don't consider Bendo GOAT because of all the (close) decisions he had. Plus he's not even the #1 LW of his era. But he has racked up 8 top 10 wins at LW and defended the UFC belt 3 times. That matches BJ right there. Then throw in the WEC belt and the quality of opposition and one could definitely make a case for Bendo's resume > BJ.

9. Highflyer

Highflyer Brown Belt

I don't think BJ Penn is the LW GOAT either. But I don't agree with the "not even close" though. He could probably make a decent claim on that title, but I think it should be denied for there are other contemporaries who have better resumes,,, or guys who will have better resumes soon enough.

10. rpn453

rpn453 Brown Belt

Well, I'm going to be absurd and say that Anderson going up and destroying a former, and very recent at the time, LHW champion at LHW does contribute to his status as MW GOAT.

11. ROFLknife

ROFLknife Purple Belt

I don't know which lightweight now could do it, but Matt Serra did do it.

12. Codpiece

Codpiece Met Conor Belt

BJ and Frankie should each have one win over each other, that decision was an aberration and highlights the problem with someone like TS basing a fighter's standing on a W/L record without viewing the fights or knowing the context in which they occurred.

For the record, Edgar should be #2, since he should have a win over Bendo.

13. Scyther

Uh. This thread isn't ignorant, I know fully well what BJ did in his past and I know fully well that Caol Uno isn't that great of a fighter, if he were dropped into today's fight game he'd be irrelevant. He was only able to succeed because the fight game wasn't as developed.

Din Thomas is an ok fighter but nothing great so that's why no one considers Din Thomas as a great win. He's a solid fighter yes but nothing special.

14. chinarice

chinarice Gold Belt

Matt Serra is LW GOAT because he beat GSP at WW....

Did I do it right? lol

15. TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

And this is exactly what they'll say about Maynard in a couple of years. Heck people say it now.

16. Scyther

A willingness to fight anyone doesn't however make you LW GOAT. I'm not saying the guy is terrible, all I'm saying is he's not the GOAT.

17. Pudgy**

Pudgy** Purple Belt

Well said. Penn was robbed in the first Edgar fight, he has never looked the same since.

18. ROFLknife

ROFLknife Purple Belt

Dan Henderson is the greatest middleweight of all time because he beat Shogun at light heavyweight, and he's the best light heavyweight of all time because he beat Fedor at heavyweight.

19. HeroandPucca

HeroandPucca Purple Belt

You must be still new to mma

20. Scyther

First off, this is all an assumption. Only time will tell.