Błachowicz vs Jacare is next. Jones vs TBA.

That's a rough fight for Jacare off the bat. Other than that, the competition is a little lighter, but the champ is probably tougher to beat in his division in comparison to other divisions. LHW is an odd spot. Heavy is kinda similar, but a bit worse.
The champ is probably the hardest to beat out of all of the divisions. As for the other fighters, LHW is a weird division, second only to HW when it comes to unpredictability. Everyone is heavy enough to KO each other on any given night, meaning that chin starts to matter a lot more than it does compared to the smaller divisions. HW has this problem but magnified 10x, which is why you have guys like Black Beast who can remain at the top for long periods of time. Jacare had power at MW, but I don't see it being special power that will carry over to LHW.

The athleticism gap also starts widening at LHW. You have huge guys like Reyes, Rakic, and Walker who are going to be much faster than Jacare even though they're much bigger. This speed also makes them a shit ton more powerful. Jacare has a good chin so there's a good chance he lasts all 5 rounds with Jan, but guys like Rakic and Reyes are probably gonna melt him.

Just some thoughts on LHW as a division. It takes a certain type of fighter to do well at LHW and HW. Being good at 185 doesn't mean the success will continue at 205.

Being good at 185 doesn't mean the success will continue at 205.

I can agree with this. We have some fighters who can adapt well, Santos and Lionheart... But they were big dudes, though and they could take a punch and can crack.

Guys like Luke has poor defense and/or shot chin. Very risky for him.

Jacare might be in an odd position being so old and on the decline. Maybe if he went up a couple of years ago. But I doubt his grappling will have the same effect and there are fighters who are technically more sound than him on the feet.

Chris may have the only real shot at being good since he's well rounded enough, but he'd run into a wall against Jones.

Chael looked like ass at LHW, then again he ran into Jones (known for his TDD and opportunistic grappling and GNP if his opponent has deficit) and a less shop worn Shad (who was a standout wrestler in his prime).

LHW is a tricky division. If a fighter jumps straight to the top, they'll get wrecked. But outside the 5, LHW has no one. HW is less desirable for folk wanting to move up for all the reasons you mentioned.

I can agree with this. We have some fighters who can adapt well, Santos and Lionheart... But they were big dudes, though and they could take a punch and can crack.

Guys like Luke has poor defense and/or shot chin. Very risky for him.

Jacare might be in an odd position being so old and on the decline. Maybe if he went up a couple of years ago. But I doubt his grappling will have the same effect and there are fighters who are technically more sound than him on the feet.

Chris may have the only real shot at being good since he's well rounded enough, but he'd run into a wall against Jones.

Chael looked like ass at LHW, then again he ran into Jones (known for his TDD and opportunistic grappling and GNP if his opponent has deficit) and a less shop worn Shad (who was a standout wrestler in his prime).

LHW is a tricky division. If a fighter jumps straight to the top, they'll get wrecked. But outside the 5, LHW has no one. HW is less desirable for folk wanting to move up for all the reasons you mentioned.
I actually don't like Weidman's chances at LHW. Like Rockhold, his style relies on him being the bigger, stronger guy. At MW he could take down guys like Kelvin with his physicality, but at 205 he'll be against guys his own size or bigger. He's also slow, so I don't like his chances at all against the strikers. Like many others, I feel like Reyes will melt him.

But who knows, I could be 100% wrong haha.

Back