Awkward moment when I met Dean Lister

mmajacked4

Freedom Fighter
@Blue
Reaction score
So in December 2018 I was a server at Papas Brothers Steak House in Dallas, and right before getting ready to go home a big party came in. I was told I was serving it with another server. I wasn’t super happy about it because we were closing and I wanted to get home, lol. I went to greet the table, and suddenly realized Dean Lister was at the table. I’ve been a fan of MMA since 2008, and in the Dallas/ Fort Worth BJJ community since that time as well, so I immediately recognized him. I professionally greeted the table (since it is fine dining), got their drinks, then introduced myself to Dean. He was a super cool, down to earth guy. We talked for a few minutes, he asked my BJJ rank, where I train, etc. He went on to introduce his jacked friend, Jocko, to me, expecting me to know who he was... I didn’t. Anyway, we had small talk throughout the night, but for the most part I served them and left it at that. After the group payed out and left, Dean ran back in to tell me to never give up on my dreams, no matter what adversity I face, which was AWESOME! But the whole point of this story is that his jacked friend was Jocko Willink... still super embarrassed I had no idea who he was, lol. He is a war hero and a BJJ black belt with a legit podcast. Oh well... hope y’all enjoyed

Damn man you served Jocko and Dean pretty cool. Hope they tipped you well bud!

Damn man you served Jocko and Dean pretty cool. Hope they tipped you well bud!
They did! Funny thing is, when Dean introduces me to Jocko, he asked me if I knew who he was. Wish I would have known, because he is a badass!

They did! Funny thing is, when Dean introduces me to Jocko, he asked me if I knew who he was. Wish I would have known, because he is a badass!

Don't think Jocko cares if anybody knows who he is. Seems like a very down to earth guy, I just recently discovered who he is.

I would have arm barred his steak to display my alpha, obviously I would have done this without thinking it through and would have suffered for it
But still

So what's the problem? You think Jocko's ego is so brittle that he would have been bothered that you didn't recognize him? Who cares.

Back