Awesome new Dave Camarillo podcast interview

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Drew Foster, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Dave comes in at 22:25
    http://bjjbrick.com/epi-64-bjj-judo-and-self-defense-with-dave-camarillo/

Absolutely awesome stuff. Dave Camarillo drops so many gems in here. I haven't heard an interview from him in a while, so it's very refreshing. There's a lot of stuff in here to unpack, and it covers more than just grappling. If you have an hour or so, definitely check it out. Honestly if it weren't for Camarillo, I doubt I would have ever jumped into grappling martial arts. He always has a ton of cool ideas and good stuff to say. It's a good listen.

Direct links for iTunes and Stitcher
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/bjjbrick-podcast-bjj-jiu-jitsu/id730540186
    http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/bjjbrick-radio

2. kying418

kying418 Blue Belt

Awesome- can't wait to hear.

I still remember witnessing some closed door sessions with Dave and Marcelo in 2007 (or so).

Dave has beautiful BJJ!

3. DSGhST07

DSGhST07 Blue Belt

Marcelo Garcia?! You have to give us some visualizations if so

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Brown Belt

These guys just had a cool interview with Kavanagh as well. Cool podcast interviews for sure.

5. FirstNobleTruth

FirstNobleTruth Blue Belt

Dave is a prophet. I could listen to him talk forever.

My only (slight) qualm with him is the creation of the Guerilla Jiu-Jitsu art. Sometimes I think it'd be better if he just graded his students in Judo and BJJ, instead of his own hybrid.

Having said that, he is 10x the martial artist I'll ever be, and one of my favorite grapplers.

6. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

I never gave that too much thought. Does he not grade students separately? On the podcast he made it sound like he did, and I know he's said that he believes there's a lot of value in doing Judo for Judo's sake, and doing BJJ for BJJ's sake. I'll ask him the next time I get to a seminar.

Side note, the guy always gives amazing seminars. There aren't many people I would pay to go to a a seminar from anymore. most are overpriced, and hit or miss. Dave's are always awesome, and very reasonably priced. His privates are super cheap too, considering what you're getting, and he'll bring in someone for you to drill on so that he can see and fix things. It's been a couple years since I've seen Dave, but like I said, his first book is the reason I dove into Jiu-Jitsu.

If anyone ever gets a chance to train with him, you won't break your wallet, and you'll definitely learn something practical that you probably haven't seen before.

7. SBJ

SBJ Purple Belt

Nice interview.. thx for sharing!

8. DSGhST07

DSGhST07 Blue Belt

That's good to know. I always wanted to train with Dave but was waiting until I was a high enough level in both before I go so he can help me blend them together. I may go this year finally, I have all his books/videos but it's not the same as in person.

9. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Do it! I trained with Dave incredibly early in my grappling life and some of the stuff I learned I still think about all the time. One thing I think that's very cool about his classes/seminars is that whatever he shows will obviously be cool and work well, but the concepts will click no matter how long you've been training. You could take the same seminar at white belt and purple belt and get something different from it. I'm glad it helps. Definitely go and enjoy it!

10. Kalma

Kalma Orange Belt

He's definitely slept on.

11. BJJbrick

BJJbrick White Belt

Thanks for posting my friend! It helps a lot.

12. BJJbrick

BJJbrick White Belt

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you.