Awesome Mounted Darce by Cobrinha/Request instructionals by Cobrinha

Niceeeeee, love Darce's. Thanks TS!

I've always done this, takes a lot for me to finish in side but once I step over into the mount it puts a lot of pressure on the neck, and it traps the opponent. Worst case scenario you're in mount, but I've never had the slightest trouble finishing once the mount was established

If this is still going, then DLR/RDLR defense

Awesome video. Cobrinha was the first person I ever saw mount to finish it and he started my previous obsession with the mounted darce. I don't compete much and it's so much pressure that I usually just slide for the choke, stay on my side, and walk in to trap the legs. But I definitely love to mount if it's hard to put them away.

I've never seen that detail before about sort of driving them flat on their back to kill their shrimp. Even without mounting, if you're just clocking your hips in towards theirs and they're circling away it seems like driving them flat like that could be a great way to close the distance. I guess if they're already circling to escape and outrunning you then there's probably no reason not to just mount to finish at that point.

It was also cool how he referenced his first ADCC match with Rafa Mendes.

I've always done this, takes a lot for me to finish in side but once I step over into the mount it puts a lot of pressure on the neck, and it traps the opponent. Worst case scenario you're in mount, but I've never had the slightest trouble finishing once the mount was established

I finish the choke 9/10 times on my side. Are you hip thrusting in after hooking the leg?
So d'arce is locked up, drop hip, scoot in, hook leg and thrust. I was finishing this at 130lbs body weight. Even easier now as I'm 180.

The 1/10 I switch over to mount they say they feel it as a neck crank more than a choke.

The 1/10 I switch over to mount they say they feel it as a neck crank more than a choke.

i get this a lot even when i don't switch to mount, don't know why. i don't like it, though, would much prefer to finish cleanly.

I finish the choke 9/10 times on my side. Are you hip thrusting in after hooking the leg?
So d'arce is locked up, drop hip, scoot in, hook leg and thrust. I was finishing this at 130lbs body weight. Even easier now as I'm 180.

Later on today when I get a chance I'll put something up that should help you with this. If you're able to get a clean choke it's usually less to do with the finishing position that you take, and more to do with getting your shoulder strongly behind their arm pit/shoulder, along with having your choking hand just deep enough so that you can make a thumbs up along the back of their neck. This drives your shoulder into theirs and it keeps the sharpest part of your form against their carotid arteries.

It just so happens that doing the sliding/walk in finish usually creates this shoulder contact and solid depth for the choking arm just by nature of the position.

Once you know how to create that structure with the hold from any of the main positions that you finish from, it's very easy to find them no matter where you once you know how to create that structure with the hold from any of the main positions that you finish from, it's very easy to find them no matter where you find yourself with the choke locked.

There's even a drill you can do where you loosely lock the position and allow yourself to rollaround to chase your training partner to get comfortable finishing in all positions.

I'll post something to help you and @randomg1t

Drew about to drop knowledge!

Also the guy behind the site will be checking this thread. (i'm not sure if he posts here or not)

Sorry I didn't mean on my side, I meant on my knees top side mount. Usually if I have it locked in I can finish it if we are both on our sides and I hook a leg. It's when I catch it on my knees and I'm in their half guard or side mount that it is really hard to lock in all the way and tires your arms out. So even if I have it kinda half ass locked in, if I step into mount I can still finish

i get this a lot even when i don't switch to mount, don't know why. i don't like it, though, would much prefer to finish cleanly.

I sent you a PM btw. But any mount finish will often have a few people throwing the word crank out there. Often I've found that it's just so much damn pressure that it can feel like a crank even if it isn't. Even as a tight choke you get so much leverage that almost any squeezing with your arms is going to make them feel like you're tearing their head off. A mounted brabo/darce is probably a top 3 most uncomfortable choke, even when done cleanly. You might be finishing it cleaner than you think.

Just don't arch your back like a one armed guillotine motion or do a skydive thing. No need. Just like Marcelo Garcia, keep your forehead on the mat and just apply pressure. If you don't want to go to a full on mount (both knees down, forehead down) you can sort of do what Cobrinha does in that video or what Lovato Jr. does here and just sort of "cup" their hip with your heel. Some people have a hard time keeping solid shoulder in their armpit pressure when they mount all the way chest to chest because they may lose a bit of the shoulder contact if they aren't used to it.

Check out 2:05.

Sorry I didn't mean on my side, I meant on my knees top side mount. Usually if I have it locked in I can finish it if we are both on our sides and I hook a leg. It's when I catch it on my knees and I'm in their half guard or side mount that it is really hard to lock in all the way and tires your arms out. So even if I have it kinda half ass locked in, if I step into mount I can still finish

One thing I'd recommend is not trying to finish it from top half guard unless your knee is at least free. It's really hard to lock it in place without getting swept or your base messed with if they have control of anything from your knee or higher up. If you're doing the vice grip thing, you can even used your head-side leg to step over their head and use your heel against the back of their neck to break their posture. This will let you lock the grip up easier.

If you don't like the vice grip (3/4 nelson) check the Lovato Jr. video I posted up above your quote. Check 2:55 of that video. I call that the "Lovato lift" and basically you are pulling their head sideways, ear to shoulder. This opens up the side of their neck big time to get your choking arm in place and it's very hard for them to get good posture to arch back or come up on a single since their spine and neck are no longer lined up.

In other news;

[Yt]OdrXWWnfw0Q[/MEDIA]

If this is still going, then DLR/RDLR defense

Hey I'm the guy running it. It's for sure still going on. I'll talk to Cobrinha and see if we can get one filmed before he leaves for ADCC but in the mean time if you have requests message me and we'd love to get to your request in a video. I'll even message you when your request is going to come up. I'm over on the reddit BJJ too. Glad you guys are enjoying the videos!!

In other news;

[Yt]OdrXWWnfw0Q[/MEDIA]

Does this work well for you? I know it must be a solid enough position, but I'm a self admitted hater of the Japanese necktie. It's actually one of my least favorite techniques. I don't think I'll ever like it, although I don't knock anyone that does.

Does this work well for you? I know it must be a solid enough position, but I'm a self admitted hater of the Japanese necktie. It's actually one of my least favorite techniques. I don't think I'll ever like it, although I don't knock anyone that does.

Personally I think putting the guy on his back is a safer bet for any kind of front choke.

[Yt]ykxhblbhXGQ[/MEDIA]

The variation Joe hogan shows has a lot of utility in the specific situation of half guard though. The Martinez brothers use it to good effect.

Last edited:
Personally I think putting the guy on his back is a safer bet for any kind of front choke. The 3/4 nelson is an effective tool for breaking the guy down though in preparation for a pinning combination.

I like that control as well. I guess it may be easy to say with longer arms, but I just don't usually find myself with a tight 3/4 nelson with someone broken down and unable to lock to figure-four/RNC grip. I also like the precision of the brabo and the fact that it can be finished from many spots once it's locked.

But all personal preferences aside, the biggest reason I dislike the J necktie is just because it hurts like a motherfucker. I know we aren't doing ballet, and I know it can choke people. I work full time where I need my neck, and so do most of the people I train with. I definitely don't get mad or annoyed if someone goes for it it on me, but the Japanese necktie might honestly be my least favorite thing to be on the receiving end of in all of grappling.

Back