Avoiding the lockdown.

Has anyone noticed that Eddie Bravo's whole system seems to require you to restrict your own hip mobility? I love the half guard (Glover style deep, mostly), and I never use the Lockdown because I don't feel as if I can move once I get there.

Valid point there. I remember I used to use it all the time when I first learned it but, like someone already said, it only used to make me feel better about surviving against higher belts. Now that I work my own attacks, other half-guards seem to give me more success.

Has anyone noticed that Eddie Bravo's whole system seems to require you to restrict your own hip mobility? I love the half guard (Glover style deep, mostly), and I never use the Lockdown because I don't feel as if I can move once I get there.

I didn't "notice" is persay. I thought it was just blatently obvious. I'm one of the most flexible people at my gym and I really try to stay as far away from everything lockdown/rubberguard as possible.

Demian Maia teaches it in his Science of Jit Jitsu 2 set.

Feel better now? :icon_lol:

I didn't say it didn't work. Technically, yes, it works. If you can get to your feet, it can create a submission opportunity. That being said, I have never actually seen it used effectively against a knowledgeable opponent.

Uki otoshi works too, but how many times has anyone ever seen it applied in competition, or against a resisting opponent?

I'm sorry, but if you can actually stand up while someone has the "lockdown" on you, your partner must be completely fucking inept. I've seen the video that Paulson put out showing this supposed counter, and I find it ridiculous. Yes, in theory it works. In reality? No.

The first post is basically how I keep from ending up in the lockdown. If I end up in half-guard, the trapped leg goes immediately vertical and the other knee goes tight under my opponent's armpit.

Demian Maia teaches it in his Science of Jit Jitsu 2 set.

Feel better now? :icon_lol:

What KJ said. I've been able to stand out of lockdowns quite a few times, it's not the end all be all solution but the TS asked for a way out and I pointed him towards this specific technique. Figuring out how to posture up and back out to stand up in half guard just requires practice, like everything else.

I usually grab under their ass and do a gable grip. From there you can power sprawl out of it.

hmmm... this seems like an interesting half guard escape. you gable grip around which leg: the one between your legs or the one outside the trapped leg?

Like I said, probably piss poor way to describe it but know that there is hope... lockdown is not even a good move because the person on the bottom is forced to play more on their back rather than on their side which is the optimal position for bottom half.

Then you encountered pretty shitty lockdown players. Lockdown is my go-to half guard because it allows me to extend the leg to affect their balance enough to secure my double underhooks and whip up onto my side. In fact often enough I still have the lockdown after I complete the sweep. In addition it sets up my calf crushers from bottom half guard nicely. If you encountering people lying on their back cranking on the foot/calf, that is just terrible Jiu Jitsu in general. In that case, just put your knee on the ground and bring your foot to the outside the immediately under your base. When people do that i am forced to switch to an outside leg triangle in order not to get passed.

PS. lockdown is still susceptible to your standard shoulder pressure half guard pass.

Last edited:
I do the leg curl method someone mentioned...

Keep a shoulder in their head and keep them flat.
Take your other non-locked foot and use it to kick their lockdown foot loose.
Immediately bring your foot up to their ass and continue your half guard pass and make them your bitch.
Do it enough times and it takes 2 seconds to do this.

The lockdown is garbage.
End of thread.

Both.
You clasp your hands right under his butt and sprawl.

Exactly. You're reaching around his entire lower body and clasping your hands in a gable grip behind his butt. You then sort of power sprawl your one leg out, and you're home free.

I actually used the lockdown last night, and my training partner tried to stand and have his leg as vertical as possible to break it - as I'd read this thread I had a suspicion he'd do this, so I was able to follow him 'up' and managed to get the sweep because I was so under him after sittin up with him and scooting deeper.

The lockdown is such an amateur move.

Yea I'm kinda starting to think this also.
When I play standard Half Guard I'm much more mobile and can avoid being flattened out.
But, when I play Lockdown I don't feel as mobile and I always seem to immediately get flattened out.
It's like once I use it for more than a few seconds I get flattened out and HAVE to use it to avoid getting passed.

Correction. The lockdown is a useful move that amateurs tend to favor.

Noobs love the lockdown because it gives them time to think and if a higher belt is stuck they get a sense of accomplishment. "Look! Now you can't pass my lower belt guard! I win! Nyahahaha!"

The lockdown to me is like a gullotine. Something that looks very simple, so noobs latch on to it, but can be used with a lot of precision, so it takes time to master.

A good lockdown can ;

- overstretch an opponent when trying to retain side control
- keep them from moving latterally so you can keep the underhook
- put pressure on the calf
- be used to elevate them when they try to apply pressure.

The position has it's uses, but IMO you really shouldn't stay in it for more than 5 seconds.

this is truth!

I let them get it, then I shoulder roll on the same side to hit the twister or take the back. Then after they tap, I yell, "Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Joe Rogan!"

Just kidding (kind of). I use the gable-grip/butt-grab/leg sprawl and pass or I just lift my heel and circle my leg out of hook-range, same as probably everyone else here.

Correction. The lockdown is a useful move that amateurs tend to favor.

Noobs love the lockdown because it gives them time to think and if a higher belt is stuck they get a sense of accomplishment. "Look! Now you can't pass my lower belt guard! I win! Nyahahaha!"

The lockdown to me is like a gullotine. Something that looks very simple, so noobs latch on to it, but can be used with a lot of precision, so it takes time to master.

A good lockdown can ;

- overstretch an opponent when trying to retain side control
- keep them from moving latterally so you can keep the underhook
- put pressure on the calf
- be used to elevate them when they try to apply pressure.

The position has it's uses, but IMO you really shouldn't stay in it for more than 5 seconds.

Yea, when I first started using it, it seemed to be a stalling method for be and I would try to work back to guard. As you use it more and work underhooks, you get better at going for the back by either going for an electric chair (dislike this cause they defend with a darce) or get to their side while keeping them unbalanced so you get to a more neutral stance.

I like using the lockdown personally when they are keeping me flat on my back

passing the lockdown is so easy when you have head and arm control or double underhooks...if you guys are getting stalled in this position you are not doing the right passes

Last edited:
Back