1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Avoiding the lockdown.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Easto, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Easto

Easto Green Belt

How do you guys avoid getting put in the lockdown while in top half guard?

We have a guy in our class that discovered the lockdown over the last couple months. He locks it is and then just lays there cranking the crap out of your calf. No submission or sweep attempts, just laying there with the lock down.

Any tricks to avoid being put there in the first place?

2. a dead stick

a dead stick Orange Belt

When you end up in half guard, immediately draw your trapped leg up so your knee is pointing straight up and your foot is right in his butt. Pushing on the knee can help with this, and leads into popping your foot out from that position pretty easily.

You can break the lockdown by pinning his lower body with your chest and holding onto the hips)or belt), basing out on your free leg, and backing your trapped leg straight backwards which puts tremendous pressure on the foot creating the lock down and will force it open.

Since I learned these two things I've only been caught in it once, and that was only for a few seconds.

3. AboveThisFire

AboveThisFire Green Belt

Stand up while he still has the lockdown on you, he'll tap or let go.

4. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

both of those, but as far as if they have you in it already, yes, the straight leg will def give em hell.

option B can be to stay tight as in above, post trapped your knee, lift your foot like you're doing a leg curl, and turn towards his legs as in the very first scenario.

5. Easto

Easto Green Belt

I have seen video's with this in it and I have used it several times. It cranks the shit out of my calf as well so I would rather avoid getting here in the first place.

lockdown to me just seems like the first move anyone does when they start to play with half guard. It is just more of a nuisance.

6. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

yup, that's kind of the same concept as the straight leg, and it does hurt a bit as well. Them more than you, imo, but still, I have a tendency to get cramps in my calfs (wtf??) anyway so I like to use the bend and turn in deal.

7. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

The lockdown is such an amateur move.

8. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

I'm sorry, but if you can actually stand up while someone has the "lockdown" on you, your partner must be completely fucking inept. I've seen the video that Paulson put out showing this supposed counter, and I find it ridiculous. Yes, in theory it works. In reality? No.

The first post is basically how I keep from ending up in the lockdown. If I end up in half-guard, the trapped leg goes immediately vertical and the other knee goes tight under my opponent's armpit.

9. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

I usually grab under their ass and do a gable grip. From there you can power sprawl out of it.

10. KahleyTriangles

KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

Agreed. Our teacher has a pretty slick way of getting out of it. I'm not good at explaining things through text, so I'm not even gonna try. But you basically slide your far leg underneath the trapped leg, twist a little, and the far leg sorta just "pops" your trapped leg out.

Oh and to avoid it, just make sure you're sitting on your calf of your trapped leg when you're hanging out in top half guard. Or you can angle your trapped leg's foot so that its pointed in the other direction of your opponent's legs. For example if their feet are pointed to 6'oclock, you can angle your trapped leg when its folded under you to point to 10-11 o'clock.

Like I said, probably piss poor way to describe it but know that there is hope... lockdown is not even a good move because the person on the bottom is forced to play more on their back rather than on their side which is the optimal position for bottom half.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  11. brandon0627

brandon0627 White Belt

Heavy shoulder on his chin and keep his shoulders flat, don't let him get his underhook, once you have a heavy shoulder on the chin you can start working your leg out until your shin is between his legs, slide your other shin across his belt line and pass. If you keep his shoulders flat and heavy shoulder on the chin it sucks for him and he will want to open his guard to move his hips. Hope this helps if it doesn't sorry, hope someone else can.

12. HulmeHardy**

HulmeHardy** Green Belt

For me once i learnt it i was able to escape it?? dunno why, but i think its because you know what it feels like before its put in properly so the way ive countered it is to just pull my ankle out, easy enough - but when i do it my knee is going up towards there armpit like sum1 mentioned, but this could also be a trick to sweep you. Such a cool sport Bjj.

13. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Correction. The lockdown is a useful move that amateurs tend to favor.

Noobs love the lockdown because it gives them time to think and if a higher belt is stuck they get a sense of accomplishment. "Look! Now you can't pass my lower belt guard! I win! Nyahahaha!"

The lockdown to me is like a gullotine. Something that looks very simple, so noobs latch on to it, but can be used with a lot of precision, so it takes time to master.

A good lockdown can ;

- overstretch an opponent when trying to retain side control
    - keep them from moving latterally so you can keep the underhook
    - put pressure on the calf
    - be used to elevate them when they try to apply pressure.

The position has it's uses, but IMO you really shouldn't stay in it for more than 5 seconds.

14. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

If I know a guy is persistent and nasty with the lockdown, as soon as I'm in half-guard I make sure to avoid my leg being in a straight line. I have my shin at 90 degrees to my thigh - they can't lockdown round a corner.

Bearing in mind this does affect my base on one side, I have to be extra careful to keep my arm safe on that side.

15. 256

256 Purple Belt

One thing to remember about the lockdown is yes they are controlling your leg, but you have alot of control of his hips. I will move my leg all around and slide my opponet all over and use it to control his position.

there are a ton of videos and books on the subject of breaking and attacking the lockdown. I recommend discussing it with your instructor first though.

16. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

Demian Maia teaches it in his Science of Jit Jitsu 2 set.

Feel better now? :icon_lol:

17. Easto

Easto Green Belt

I never feel threatened in the lockdown, but when you have a guy throw on the lockdown and lay there for 5 mins its a pain in the ass.

I know there are ways to escape it, but I woudl rather avoid being there all together.

18. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

There is a guy at our school who can submit people with it.
    Sounds crazy I know, and I have been caught in some painful lockdowns before, but this thing is on another level.
    It seems, as long as I don't straighten my leg to try to pull through to pass, it isn't that bad, but as soon as I do, ouch.

19. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Has anyone noticed that Eddie Bravo's whole system seems to require you to restrict your own hip mobility? I love the half guard (Glover style deep, mostly), and I never use the Lockdown because I don't feel as if I can move once I get there.

20. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Marcelo posted a nice instructional on countering the lockdown on his website the other day. Basically, assuming the opponent is doing the Bravo style lockdown (outside leg under the inside leg), you lift your foot straight up and drop it sideways to the outside, shifting your hips away from your opponent. Then you shift your hips into your opponent again (facing the legs), pulling your foot in tight and getting your knee as high as possible to prevent him from reestablishing the lockdown. If your opponent has the underhook, I guess you can also just switch to the back-step pass after dropping your foot to the outside.