Avoiding the guard pass w/legs

A

Antnymofo

Lately I have spent some time training my defense against the guard pass. Moreso, from an open guard situation. While rolling, I will let the guy get to the point of almost passing my guard, so that I can attempt to reclaim it.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on reclaiming the guard before getting put in a dominant position. Such as: double stack pass, opponent throws legs to one side, opponent circles around.

Basically, I want to get better at using my legs to swim back in and hips to avoid the guard pass. Guys like Jeff Glover and Ryan Hall are great at this (I only say them b/c I notice it out of them the most). I have about a 60:40 ratio of success. Help me please on details. Much thanks!

Get use to doing that shoulder roll, its all about getting the feel

Much much much better to defend early than late.

The best guard defense guys aren't the ones who recover crazy angles, they are the ones where you don't even see their opponent begin to pass guard.

Best thing to do is to put both ur legs on his chest and kick him away as hard as you can before he can pass that he will prevent him from passing

I rarely end up in guard, but if i do, I do what the poster above me said. As soon as I feel my guard getting passed I open and push them away, creating a scramble to see who gets top position.

In conclusion, fuck sweeps. Create space and get up.

Push his head (early) or his elbow (late) and get up on your own elbow/hand, then do a low technical stand-up to get to your knees or recover guard. Works against almost every guard pass.

The best defense is an early counter-offense, though.

at about 2:50, the simplest and easily most effective way to prevent passing.

as for the double under pass, i always counter with the underhook and triangle / omoplata counter and i can say it can be quite effective.

Back