Avoiding rib injuries

Peaceful Lion

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a knack for bruising my ribs and/or core muscles while training. I like to know what people do to try to AVOID rib injuries. The obvious is don't get kicked/punched/crushed there. Clearly, this is going to happen - so what should one do to prepare/strengthen that area? I'm looking for advice as specific as possible, things that have worked for others.

Core strengthening? Core stretching? I'm thinking that's where this question will lead but there may be tricks the fighters know that help also. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sneezing is not an option

Is "training" grappling?
And is this your first year of hard rolling?

'Cause in that case, it'll pass after 6-9 months or so and you'll no longer have to crouch when you sneeze.

Other than that I'm not too sure. Squatting and deadlifting strengthens your core in a major way and also gets you used to stuff like the valsalva maneuver which is also relevant in martial arts. You should always be using air to provide counter-pressure when somebody is applying pressure to your ribcage.

Thank you. I am new to grappling and that is where I got the bruise this time. But having them from being kicked/punched in the ribs before, I know this isn't the only way. I think I have some sort of magnet on my left side.

You may have something there in the 'air'. I use valsalva but maybe not consistently enough. I don't think I'm really conscious of it most of the time. If I see the hit coming I usually crunch a bit on that side also. I'll have to be more conscious of all that.

We've always rolled hard and every time a new guy comes around he ends up with a painful relationship with his rib cage for the first 6-9+ months. Whether is it a matter of getting conditioned by it or learning better to adjust when people are squashing your ribs I don't know, but it goes away for everybody with time.

I can't say for the striking, I've never had any injury to my torso from sparring/training.

Back