Avoiding knee strikes when going for a takedown?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bjj wrestler, Sep 10, 2010.

1. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

I need tips for not getting kneed while attempting a takedown, thanks.

2. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

Timing and set up.

1st you can get takedowns from the clinch and keep safe from knees if you control the clinch. Next there are a number of takedowns that can get you to the side or behind. Arm drag, snap down, duck under are some examples. Finally setting up your takedowns with strikes to get your opponent defensive. I have sparred with knees and even been caught, but never caught "flush" because of the set up beforehand. In fact the fact that the knee strike was even attempted HELPED me take him down because he is giving you his center of gravity as opposed to taking it away via sprawl.

3. cooltoon999

cooltoon999 Orange Belt

O soto gari all day every day

4. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

train karate.

5. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

thanks! in mma sparring the other day after taking the dude down 7 or 8 times he finally got discouraged and just waited to knee me and I got caught flush right in the temple and went blank for a second, I did manage to still get the takedown and side control however=p. I even set the takedown up nicely with a jab but he was just really ready for it. Any advice for getting to the clinch position without getting hit on the way in?

6. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

Clinch takedowns ftw. Judo will set you free.

7. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

Yes I love clinch takedowns, they are so safe! Any advice on getting to the clinch without getting hit bro?

8. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

I always just run head first and hope for the best. :)

I don't train much MMA, so I'll enlist the help of others to help, but-

I'm a right handed, southpaw stance guy and most of my experience is against right handers with a traditional right hand stance. Being the case, I'm a fan of closing distance during a punch instead of moving away. If they throw a right hand at me, I typically bring my left arm up to absorb any part of the strike and move toward their left hip, where I can usually get close enough to clinch.

And when I mean close distance, I don't mean running face first into the punch, but eliminating space at an angle, so you get more, or less thwacked with his arm.

9. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

btw, I don't try to take down unless I'm the clinch. The far away shot isn't my thing, yet.

10. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Use your punches to establish the clinch. Don't just grab him.

If you took him down 7 or 8 times, he was able to knee you because he knew exactly what you were going to do. See Hermes Franca vs Sean Sherk. You need to mix it up once and a while. Even if you like to shoot, work for underhooks once in a while.

11. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

thanks good advice, he is a black belt in karate so striking with him was a bit difficult although I could hold my own..But yea ur right I should of thought to clinch and work underhooks

12. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

Move your head slightly or (what I do) just try and take it flat by pushing forward, so my face only takes the thigh and my chest takes little impact.
    Once I was pissed at this guy in training because he's clearly better than me and teaches me all my stuff. As we start grappling from standing he decides that he will wait for me to take him down (fair enough) but then every time I do he throws a knee. Wrong or not the next time I faked the shoot in and dropped to one knee and expected to grab his leg and pull a single (he told me only doubles but fuck him).
    As I pull single I stand up but with my shoulder underneath his hamstring, needless to say it was pretty much a 6 foot drop for him and we stopped grappling there.

Pierre likes this.
  13. Grey Kid

Grey Kid Orange Belt

very broad question. I assume you're referring to double leg shoots?

set them up with strikes

set them up off the clinch (greco high dives work well)

don't shoot blind or for laces from 2m away.

use takedowns other than double legs. Judo and greco throws are nice for that.

14. millasur

millasur Blue Belt

I feel safer inside, so double jab right hand for the set up, then step off for a lead hook and get the angle to clinch up.

Or sometimes you can 'free' knee from outside, as in just come in behind punches and use the rear knee, whilst keeping your hands up - if the opp doesnt move back / out of range they might take some of the knee, but most importantly your hands will be up and forwrad, eg in the face, which easily can be turned into a clinch situation. You've got the tie up, work the takedown from there.

Not sure how useful it is in a compettiion scenario but we've trained the thai clinch, snap down to standing guilotine position, then putting your legs inside opps and falling back, rolling them to mount... (sorrybout the attempted exlanation)

something I haven't done but owuld try in theory......... How about setting it up with hands then leg kick, then double from range? eg put the 1 2 in the face for distraction / cover, step outside and put in a leg kick followed immediately by hte shot...

15. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

16. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

lol funny story. I probably woulda done the same =p

17. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

I usually do a blast double leg shot or single leg to double leg like GSP often does. I do the tackle shot where you do not shoot of one knee.

18. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

good advice thanks bro

19. bjj wrestler

bjj wrestler White Belt

Is it helpful to keep ur hands up when you shoot till the last second to smother knees?