Avoiding Iowa McDojo's

Heavyweight

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Everyone,

I'm considering moving to Cedar Rapids, IA to further my career. Unfortunately, I haven't found any reputable looking BJJ or MMA schools there while surfing the the world wide web.

I trained with Orlando ATT off-and-on for the last year and would like to train again with much greater regularity once my work schedule stabilizes. Does anyone know of any reputable schools in the Cedar Rapids area (MFS in Bettendorf and the Hawkeyes in Iowa City are too far) or any schools that should be avoided?

Thank you all.

mfs make the drive it will be worth it i drive 120 miles round trip 3 to 5 times a week to train at mfs elite under jermey horn and it is worth it

There is a gym in the Cedar Rapids area called Team Hard Drive. I don't know much about them other than they have some pretty tough dudes fighting at shows in the area that I've seen. There is an MMA organization based out of Cedar Rapids called Mainstream MMA (a couple of their fighters are going to be fighting in the UFC soon from what I've heard). Maybe find their web site and see if they are linked to any gym's websites.

United Sport & Athlete in Waterloo is where a purple belt under Jeff Curran teaches. Ya.... its about a 90 minute drive so I'm guessing thats out of the question.

I'll probably be in CR this summer.... but I'll probably be doing strongman workouts instead.

Back