"Avoid the Olympic lifts"

I haven't really done the quick lifts for a good couple of months... So probably 60 kg? But I hang powercleaned 150 from the hip for a double before I started my hiatus. Think I full cleaned 150 for a single. Power snatched more than I snatched and jerked 182 from the racks.

I'm all powah.

That's retarded, tbh.

::jelly of teh powah::

It took me about 3 days to properly learn how to powerclean. Once my coach had my revisit my second pull, everything came into place. I think too many people see it as a yanking exercise instead of what it really is, a jump. Keep a high chest, bend your knees, and jump while bringing your head backwards. This is all something any athlete can learn in a reasonable quick time and reap the benefits. I feel a thousand times more athletic after powercleans.

Cleaned 250lbs for a triple and snatched 165lbs for 5 and apparently I'm not loading my hamstrings :mad:

It took me about 3 days to properly learn how to powerclean. Once my coach had my revisit my second pull, everything came into place. I think too many people see it as a yanking exercise instead of what it really is, a jump. Keep a high chest, bend your knees, and jump while bringing your head backwards. This is all something any athlete can learn in a reasonable quick time and reap the benefits. I feel a thousand times more athletic after powercleans.
Jgarner, I'm curious, were you able to increase your vertical jump from doing power clean ?

Weight lifting to improve jumping? That's some Kinobody shit lol

Jgarner, I'm curious, were you able to increase your vertical jump from doing power clean ?

Yep. My vertical isn't the best, but it's gone up since I started powercleans regularly. I also do a lot of box jumps too. I highly recommend them.

Yep. My vertical isn't the best, but it's gone up since I started powercleans regularly. I also do a lot of box jumps too. I highly recommend them.
Weird, I saw a video on explaining things like cleans and snatches don't help vertical jumps and that training jumping was the only way to improve it. Learn something everyday.

Though I also read heavy squats increase your vert as well

Weird, I saw a video on explaining things like cleans and snatches don't help vertical jumps and that training jumping was the only way to improve it. Learn something everyday.

Well if they can explain how increasing your strength and power in your legs, hips, and back doesn't help your jump then I'm all ears.

And the heavy squat won't increase your vert if you don't teach your body to apply that new strength towards jumping. You should think of strength training as giving you a larger pot to work with. You still have to fill it up with water, but you can hold more water the stronger you are. In the same light, the stronger your legs and hips are, the higher you CAN jump. Whether you train to jump though is up to you.

Last edited:

This dude explaining how squats and snatches don't help your vertical jump. Dunno if he's full of shit tho.

Though I think he specifies front squats as not being helpful for the vert

For some reason, heavy squat never help with my vertical.

Same. I happened to try dunking a few days ago & reached roughly where I did as a 17 year old kid. I suppose at best you could say they *may* have helped stop my vertical from deteriorating.

I even did some Crossfit football shit where you did a set of heavy squats superset with single leg box jumps to build explosivity :confused::confused::mad::mad:

I even did some Crossfit football shit where you did a set of heavy squats superset with single leg box jumps to build explosivity :confused::confused::mad::mad:

Nothing wrong with post-activation potentiation to increase power development, depending on how it's applied of course.

I could dunk long before I could skwat 315. Now I don't know if I can still do it. Haven't tried in years. At my best I could touhthe top of that orange square above the rim.

You're all a bunch of old fat guys trying to be cool and dunk again like you are 17. Me too. I failed.

Back