Avoid rolling shins? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke McCracken

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I read in the FAQ that you shouldn't roll/beat your shins with a rolling pin, what are the reasons that you would not do this?

My shins are in pain for kicking the bag and sparring parteners elbows and knees and I am looking for the most effective ways to make my shins hurt less. Several people told me to roll my shins and it would kill my nerves and stuff like that but I just want a little more explanation.

WWWD? (What Would Wanderlai Do?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've done that before and several years later I wsa told that it only hurts your shin. I was of course wtf. But after then I never do that....

just stick with the heavy bag... hard one... and you will do fine.

keep kicking the bag, you'll get used to the pain eventually.

Kicking a hard heavy bag helped me the most, but I'll also bang candles on my shinbones(front and sides). I use candles because they have some give opposed to a steel pipe or something.

Get Tiger Balm or Thai liniment if the pain is that bad. But I mean, you're doing Muay Thai. There is going to be some pain involved. You're going to kick people's elbows, you're going to get punched in the face, kicked in the legs, kicked in the nuts, you're going to fall down... you know? When I first got my Thai bag, I was like "Holy shit! This thing is solid as a tree!" Which it was, to me anyways. I had graduated to it from a 75 lb. bag. My shins would bruise every time I kicked it. Nowadays I can friggin' wail on that beast and my shins feel fine.

Again, Tiger Balm or Thai liniment. Good luck.

Hamit Aktas said:
You could also do a search in the forums.

Yea thanks I did, I also read the FAQ before making this post. Thanks for nothing Hamit.

Thats cool, I know there is going to be pain but it just seems like it wouldn't be this bad for as long as I have been training.

You guys still havent answered his question, you said "just keep kicking heavy bags" but he wants to know what EXACTLY is wrong with both kicking the bags and rolling pins on your shins.

Please answer this question before saying anything else:
What exactly are the negative consequences of rolling stuff on your shins

Also does it actually deaden the nerves in your shins or is that just a myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back