Average walking weight for all weight classes?

monsieur_jj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I wonder what is the average walking weight for all weight classes during fight night, I wonder if it will change the whole UFC if the weigh ins are same day I think those who cuts the least weight will be champions

Can someone list the average walk in weight I think 155ers are fighting at 170average 135ers 150+ avg etc

Not all fighters cut weight.

Some actually fight below their weight too.
I remember Jason Reinhardt, back in the day used to take fights at 170, he would weigh in at 164 and then cut to 155 for fight night.

This is someone else's post from a thread that I started.

Most guys will cut between 10-20 pounds (safely) by rehydrating before their fight. Surprisingly though it actually seems as if fighters in smaller weight classes cut more weight, as I've read that Dominick Cruz, Aldo and Renan Barao all weigh about 160 on fight night.

Just a round-about estimate by weight class with some outliers mentioned:

205 - 220lbs (Thiago Silva cuts from 230)
185 - 200lbs (I'm honestly pretty sure I read that Vitor cuts from above 205 somewhere)
170 - 185-190lbs (the heaviest GSP ever weighed in the cage was 190 but he's usually more in the mid 180s)
155 - 170-180lbs (Gleison Tibau cuts from 190!!!... and somehow has fairly good cardio too!)
145 - 160ish (Erik Koch says he's 170 on fight night)
135 - 150
125 - 135-140 (seems like this division has more naturally framed fighters as many of 'em are about 5'4", even Scotty Jorgensen who's dropping down in December but has otherwise been a bantamweight his whole career)

Of course I can't really verify those average numbers, but that should give you a reasonable idea. I've never fought or tried to make weight before, but I do wanna try and become an amateur boxer and MMA fighter eventually, and for MMA at least I often thought I'd want to compete at LHW since I'm 6'0" and while quite overweight, could see myself filling out 200-ish lbs with muscle once I actually commit to conditioning training; however I realized that so many guys in that division are usually more like 6'2"-6'3" and cut to make 205, which makes me think perhaps welterweight would be the best fit, as I wanna fight guys my own size (in terms of frame) without cutting much (if any) weight. So, just try to keep stuff like that in mind when thinking about where you'd fit in.

You'd certainly have a bit more headroom if you were down to play the weight cuttin' game though. The most extreme example of this would probably be Anthony Johnson, who is a HW now but tried (keyword: tried) making 170 for quite a while. But I just don't believe in trying to create a size advantage that wouldn't normally be there, myself.

Some actually fight below their weight too.
I remember Jason Reinhardt, back in the day used to take fights at 170, he would weigh in at 164 and then cut to 155 for fight night.

why would you weigh in less then the weight then cut to 155 for the night of the fight?

Machida used to be under 205 fight night sometimes.

The bigger WW's weigh 200ish. GSP weighs about 185.

As you said the smaller guys cut as much weight as the bigger guys it seems, it's kind of crazy.

Plus 10-15% IMO if we are talking average.

I know Flyweights cut from 140-145 to 125.

Jonny hendricks says he weights 205 pounds and fights at 170 although i think he say it for show. And aldo i think once said he walks in 80 kilos o something lile that and thats 175 pounds. Also bigfoot needs to cut alot of weight for his fights and he weight in at 265 pounds. Just some interesting stuff

It was common knowledge in the MMA community that Machida and Swick walked around at their natural weight. Don't know how you've missed it, under a rock? Machida LHW version never cut, Swick at MW never cut.

Last edited:
I wonder what is the average walking weight for all weight classes during fight night, I wonder if it will change the whole UFC if the weigh ins are same day I think those who cuts the least weight will be champions

Can someone list the average walk in weight I think 155ers are fighting at 170average 135ers 150+ avg etc

yeah, 15 to 20 pounds is the average from that I heard...thats how much they drop on average.

Vitor used to cut about 10lb for Franklinweight, whilst Carwin would cut from 6'9" during training camp.

It was common knowledge in the MMA community that Machida and Okami walked around at their natural weight. Don't know how you've missed it, under a rock? Machida LHW version never cut, Okami at MW never cut.

You sure about that? I always thought Okami was known as a big MW. Machida cut little to no weight, but I think Okami is a different story...

I find it interesting that most guys in a particular division cut from roughly the same weight and then rehydrate to roughly the same weight. So basically... if you found a way to eliminate weight cutting somehow, everyone would move up a division but the roster within each wouldn't change all that much except for the outliers who make particularly large cuts.

Machida used to be under 205 fight night sometimes.

The bigger WW's weigh 200ish. GSP weighs about 185.

As you said the smaller guys cut as much weight as the bigger guys it seems, it's kind of crazy.

GSP walks around at more than 185.

does anyone know the walking weight of hyun gyu lim?
that dude is so huge for ww, i think he could weigh more than 210 before a weight cut.

Everyone in every weight class walks around at roughly 200.

Back