AVENGERS: ENDGAME (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AVENGERS: ENDGAME, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Also, Why not have Steve’s best friend Bucky take up the Cap mantle instead of Falcon? That seemed like the obvious choice to make.
I would have liked Bucky also because it makes the most sense since Bucky's enhanced like Steve. But Bucky being passed over makes sense also since it would be messy since Winter Soldier has a lot of blood on his hands to be Captain America.

To anyone talking shit about fat Thor, at least we can now tell women that we have a body like Thor without actually lying. <45>

To those saying Thanos sans IG dominating Thor and Iron Man with ease is inconsistent w/ IW:

Thanos is all business this time and actually trying to kill them all without holding back at all. He's all geared up with his double bladed weapon (which was awesome) and he saw the future and knows what Tony and Thor are capable of. In IW he was just toying around with his IG abilities.

-He saw the future and probably thought he better not underestimate them.

I would have liked Bucky also because it makes the most sense since Bucky's enhanced like Steve. But Bucky being passed over makes sense also since it would be messy since Winter Soldier has a lot of blood on his hands to be Captain America.
This is probably the best explanation. It's kinda weird for Bucky to be the next Cap considering the atrocities he's done.

To those saying Thanos sans IG dominating Thor and Iron Man with ease is inconsistent w/ IW:

Thanos is all business this time and actually trying to kill them all without holding back at all. He's all geared up with his double bladed weapon (which was awesome) and he saw the future and knows what Tony and Thor are capable of. In IW he was just toying around with his IG abilities.

-He saw the future and probably thought he better not underestimate them.
Thanos was scary in Endgame. The fucker just wanted to wipe the entire Universe.

Went to a midnight showing of this to get spoilers out of the way.

Mid way through the film I was feeling a little off on it, the tone seemed a bit inconsistent and it was looking like a tribute to the series rather than a story in its own right. The final third of the film more than made up for that.
It was always going to be hard to give everyone a lot of screentime (even in 3 hours) but I'm glad Widow and Hawkeye got so much time and their storyline was really well done. I think Hulk was the biggest victim of their being too many heros, his only meaningful moment of wearing the gauntlet and snapping loses any significance when Tony does it much better and with way more impact. Professor Hulk didn't work for me at all, they should have had some element of angry smashing Hulk.
I think overall there were too many one liners and jokey moments, while some of them were funny I think they overdid it.
Cap with Mjolnir gave me chills, the final battle scene was 10/10

The time travel plot is going to leave lots of plot holes going forward which I expect will just be brushed over and ignored. Strange no longer having access to the Time Stone should in theory be a huge problem but maybe he's powerful enough.
Most interestingly will be how they deal with the fallout of Endgame in Spiderman: Far from Home. Every character who is still Parker's age at school must have been snapped as well and it stretches belief for all of the supporting cast of Spiderman to have lost the coin flip.

Overall the film was a fitting send off to the MCU in this form. It's been an incredible piece of filmmaking on this scale and I look forward to where they're going to take it post Endgame.

No more Iron Man

No more Cap

I'm actually worried for Marvel going forward.

Thank god they were able to get the Fantastic 4 back because we going to need them

Went to a midnight showing of this to get spoilers out of the way.

Mid way through the film I was feeling a little off on it, the tone seemed a bit inconsistent and it was looking like a tribute to the series rather than a story in its own right. The final third of the film more than made up for that.
It was always going to be hard to give everyone a lot of screentime (even in 3 hours) but I'm glad Widow and Hawkeye got so much time and their storyline was really well done. I think Hulk was the biggest victim of their being too many heros, his only meaningful moment of wearing the gauntlet and snapping loses any significance when Tony does it much better and with way more impact. Professor Hulk didn't work for me at all, they should have had some element of angry smashing Hulk.
I think overall there were too many one liners and jokey moments, while some of them were funny I think they overdid it.
Cap with Mjolnir gave me chills, the final battle scene was 10/10

The time travel plot is going to leave lots of plot holes going forward which I expect will just be brushed over and ignored. Strange no longer having access to the Time Stone should in theory be a huge problem but maybe he's powerful enough.
Most interestingly will be how they deal with the fallout of Endgame in Spiderman: Far from Home. Every character who is still Parker's age at school must have been snapped as well and it stretches belief for all of the supporting cast of Spiderman to have lost the coin flip.

Overall the film was a fitting send off to the MCU in this form. It's been an incredible piece of filmmaking on this scale and I look forward to where they're going to take it post Endgame.
Agreed on the time heist. As enjoyable and funny as it was I was starting to worry it would be just a tribute to the series like you said.

Now I get why some critics said they were worried in the middle act and then blown away at the final act. I don't think many were expecting to see every single MCU hero and sidekick + the armies of all the MCU(Asgard, Wakanda, etc) being led by Cap saying assemble into a ROTK style battle.

And the way Doctor Strange's plan was revealed was epic.

I was relieved Captain Marvel didn't kick Thanos's ass.

The first scene was perfect. I loved how it showed Hawkeye with his family, and then the despair when all of a sudden they were all gone. That set a perfect tone for the movie..that led into the team getting together to go find Thanos, chop off his head..and then....we get fat Thor and dapping Professor Hulk.

Fat Thor was ridiculous. I laughed at first, but then it was like, really? We're going to do this the rest of the movie? It just felt like a neverending lame joke. And it totally took away from the tone the movie had originally set up, especially for Thor. Practically every line of his was some sort of joke.
Thor isn't a coward, and he's literally crying and running to his mom. And didn't we already do the "Thor needs to find himself" story way back in like Thor 1? Why was him being a king to the remaining Asgardians even a part of the story?
It was also hard for me to believe that an Asgardian, someone that is basically a god, that is already a 1,000+ years old, that his body could change that drastically in a mere 5 years from Earth beer.
I'm totally fine with him taking a backseat to Cap and IM, but that was like the most ridiculous way to do it. It did not fit at all.

I thought the CGI with Professor Hulk was great.
But I'm still not sure where i'm at on that character. But I felt like Hulk was wasted....AGAIN. No rematch with Thanos. No rage fest. I felt like the writers/animators were a little too in love with the work they did with him--and he just didn't have a lot of substance. He went from bad ass brute to the jolly green giant.

The last hour was fantastic. Great action. But there weren't as many memorable scenes as there were in Infinity War. I was especially disappointed that we didn't see much of Dr. Strange. He had some of the most beautiful and creative fight scenes with Thanos in the last movie, and he didn't really do anything in this one.
Surprisingly, besides the obvious Captain scene, I really enjoyed Nebula and Hawkeye. They had a lot more screentime than I thought they would. The Russos are masters at balancing such a huge cast.

I got to see this again to really take it all in...it was a very different movie from what I expected..not in a bad way necessarily. But I did appreciate the dedication to the story. It felt like an ode to Marvel..definitely had a feeling of ending.
It was great, but I liked IW better

This strikes me as something else which is full of holes if you think about it too much. Cap taking all the infinity stones back to their original points in time. Does that mean he would have met Redskull when returning the Soul stone?

Also, Why not have Steve’s best friend Bucky take up the Cap mantle instead of Falcon? That seemed like the obvious choice to make.

Agreed. Falcon is a former Para-Rescue Airman, and they are just about as tough and well trained as you can get. But he's still only human, as was shown in the iconic, "On your left!" scene when he and Cap first meet. Bucky has a version of the same Super Soldier Serum that Cap took, plus the cybernetic arm. He's on a different level physically to Sam, and arguably even more highly trained(US Army, Hydra, KGB).

This strikes me as something else which is full of holes if you think about it too much. Cap taking all the infinity stones back to their original points in time. Does that mean he would have met Redskull when returning the Soul stone?

As @Dragonlordxxxxx points out, when Time Travel is involved, all you can really do is ignore the massive plot holes it inevitably creates, suspend disbelief and enjoy the show.

There are at least two scenes where Tony and Bruce shit on the idea that changing the past will automatically change the future. And then Cap goes and does exactly that.

The first scene was perfect. I loved how it showed Hawkeye with his family, and then the despair when all of a sudden they were all gone. That set a perfect tone for the movie..that led into the team getting together to go find Thanos, chop off his head..and then....we get fat Thor and dapping Professor Hulk.

Fat Thor was ridiculous. I laughed at first, but then it was like, really? We're going to do this the rest of the movie? It just felt like a neverending lame joke. And it totally took away from the tone the movie had originally set up, especially for Thor. Practically every line of his was some sort of joke.
Thor isn't a coward, and he's literally crying and running to his mom. And didn't we already do the "Thor needs to find himself" story way back in like Thor 1? Why was him being a king to the remaining Asgardians even a part of the story?
It was also hard for me to believe that an Asgardian, someone that is basically a god, that is already a 1,000+ years old, that his body could change that drastically in a mere 5 years from Earth beer.
I'm totally fine with him taking a backseat to Cap and IM, but that was like the most ridiculous way to do it. It did not fit at all.

I thought the CGI with Professor Hulk was great.
But I'm still not sure where i'm at on that character. But I felt like Hulk was wasted....AGAIN. No rematch with Thanos. No rage fest. I felt like the writers/animators were a little too in love with the work they did with him--and he just didn't have a lot of substance. He went from bad ass brute to the jolly green giant.

The last hour was fantastic. Great action. But there weren't as many memorable scenes as there were in Infinity War. I was especially disappointed that we didn't see much of Dr. Strange. He had some of the most beautiful and creative fight scenes with Thanos in the last movie, and he didn't really do anything in this one.
Surprisingly, besides the obvious Captain scene, I really enjoyed Nebula and Hawkeye. They had a lot more screentime than I thought they would. The Russos are masters at balancing such a huge cast.

I got to see this again to really take it all in...it was a very different movie from what I expected..not in a bad way necessarily. But I did appreciate the dedication to the story. It felt like an ode to Marvel..definitely had a feeling of ending.
It was great, but I liked IW better
This mostly sums up my feelings right after the movie and still today except I was expecting almost no Dr. Strange at all so i wasn't disappointed there. Actually a Strange vs. Maw rematch would have been cool.

Thor being the way he is makes it very confusing where he is at. He has Stormbreaker which is significantly more powerful than Mjolnir...does he still have Odin Force? Is he rusty? He's still worthy.

And Hulk. I thought they were setting up the baddest Hulk we've ever seen for this movie.

Hawkeye being Punisher in Tokyo was cool but I blinked too much gotta see it again.

I loved Thanos seeing himself succeed in the future making his God complex reach more levels of insanity. Also his monologues towards the trio before their fight and then his words to Cap in their stand off: "It was never personal"

The Nebula twist was a really nice way to bring Thanos to the Avengers. And this is how they brought back Gamora. I like this better because she isn't resurrected, the Gamora that died in IW is still dead. Vision is still dead....I think?

As @Dragonlordxxxxx points out, when Time Travel is involved, all you can really do is ignore the massive plot holes it inevitably creates, suspend disbelief and enjoy the show.

There are at least two scenes where Tony and Bruce shit on the idea that changing the past will automatically change the future. And then Cap goes and does exactly that.

Oh for sure, not worth over thinking the holes element of it.
I like the idea of Cap zipping around the galaxy putting back the stones and hooking up with Redskull along the way.

Here goes, Bros...

First, fuck the Haters: this gets a 10 from me. Yes, there were mistakes - Fat Thor, Professor Hulk - but the whole was far more than the sum of it's parts. And that scene/line from Tony at the end...

giphy - 2019-04-03T082227.518.gif

The movie is relatively slow to start, especially compared to Infinity War. But, as other have already pointed out, this allows people like RDJ, Evans and Johansson to remind us that they're not just pretty faces(and America's Ass;)). Give them a decent script and they'll bring the damn Heat. Hawkeye's plea to Natasha,

"Don't...give me hope"

Is just the first in a long line of emotional gut-punches. The post-Snap world is impressively realised - empty stadiums, support groups for those left behind - without detracting from the main plot.

As I said, compared to IW, this is a slow burn of a movie, and not all of it works. Big Thor Lowboski is funny for maybe 20 minutes, then you want him to sober up, do a Full Training Camp and get back to being the Ultimate Bro. Professor Hulk is a wasted opportunity. I was hoping for a rematch with Thanos, where the Hulk would fight with skill and intelligence. But he never gets a chance to show what he can really do, apart from surviving using the Stones to undo The Snap.

Captain Marvel was in the movie for just the perfect amount of time. She acts as a Dues ex Machina in a couple of important scenes, but there is no time where it feels like she's taking over the whole movie. And it's clear that, even as powerful as she is, she isn't taking down the Mad Titan on her own.

But when this movie starts scoring touch down after touch down and spiking it in the end zone(pun intended)you don't give a fuck about any shortcomings. It really is that fucking good.

- Nat sacrificing herself for the Soul Stone. This is Johansson's finest hour in the MCU. Truly heartbreaking. And the best she's looked since Iron Man 2.

- Cap says, "Hail Hydra!"<Eek2.0>

- "That is America's Ass"<Lmaoo><45>

- Spider-Man finally switches on Instant Kill Mode:cool:

- Cap. Lifts. Mjolnir! I wasn't the only guy in the audience who cheered that scene. As pure Fan Service, there's nothing better, right? Wrong of course...

"Avengers Assemble!" While holding Mjolnir and what's left of the Shield...yeah, I pity the poor cinema employee who had to clean my seat after that scene:oops: The final battle is the best scene of it's kind every put on film.

The final scenes, Tony's sacrifice - "I am Iron Man" - and Cap finally getting his dance with his best girl, are absolutely perfect ways to bring the saga to it's natural end.

Jo and Anthony, you broke my heart today. And I love you for it<mma1><DCrying>

Last edited:
Here goes, Bros...

- Cap. Lifts. Mjolnir! I wasn't the only guy in the audience who cheered that scene. As pure Fan Service, there's nothing better, right? Wrong of course...

"

Got cheers from the cinema I'm in too lol

No one's talking about stan lee's last cameo ?

Back