Automatically pen a free letter to your reps through Rugers website

MTT

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.ruger.com/index.html

Gun owners and supporters of the second amendment must take action. If for whatever reason you don't want to write out or email your own, I encourage you to go to rugers website and make things happen. Takes 2 minutes and sends out letters to all your states reps automatically, for free.

They screwed us over for the 94 AWB, they sure aren't making that mistake again.

I found this on the 1911 forum yesterday and sent a message to my state senators. It's a pretty easy process and it's not hard to find their emails. I checked the box for requesting a response, we will see if that happens.

I got a response from Saxby Chambliss (I live in GA and he is a state senator).

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Thank you for writing me regarding the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

I have always been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to ensure the rights of gun owners will not be further infringed upon. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not unfairly impeded. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

In response to recent tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on government regulation of guns. It is likely that Congress will soon have an extensive and detailed conversation about all of the potential causes of these crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms.

I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes. As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in the future. In the meantime, if you would like to receive timely e-mail alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov.

That's fuckin awesome Lug!! A politician who actually cares about his constituents.

On another note, I was browsing the net for updates on the situation and came across a readers comment to a story that literally said any citizen who owns a semi auto pistol or rifle only has it because they plan to commit a crime with it! Are you mentally ill!?!?

The Demmies are also trying to say that semi auto anythings are not popular self defense tools. The ban on ARs and AKs etc won't and actually can't (legally, but they don't care about that) happen. USSC ruled in DC vs Heller that it was not legal for the govt to ban any firearm that had a viable role in citizen use (self defense, hunting, etc), AND a viable military role, which almost any semi auto anything or pump action shotgun does.

All I know is the current administration has no room to talk about gun control. Operation Fast and Furious anyone? And Piers Morgan can't piss right the fuck off. If you don't live in a country, you can shut the fuck up about any of that country's laws and political debates.

Yeah I'm impressed with Chambliss and he also responded in about three days. I will have to look up that case to learn more. Piers Morgan is Quack. The reason we have the second amendment is because of the British in the first place.

I wrote my reps a couple of weeks ago. Strangely I literally just got a response 5 seconds after reading this thread (I have another response just gonna have to dig it up).

Dear Mr. Python:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the tragic shootings at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut and the renewed call for additional gun control. My deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of the victims of this horrific event, and I appreciate your input on this important issue.

First and foremost, no words or actions can alleviate the loss of innocent lives. This tragedy has greatly afflicted our nation. As a father of four, one of which is a public school teacher, I understand the apprehension that many Americans felt when they first heard of this horrific event. We must stop and pray for all those impacted by this tragedy and for a full recovery for those left injured.

Americans of all political stripes can agree that weapons should never be accessible to those who are mentally ill. Americans have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms; however, with that right comes an obligation to make sure those weapons are securely stored and not available to anyone without the owner's express permission and supervision. We do not need to pass a law to start this reform; we simply need every gun owner, gun store, and shooting organization to take action today to better secure our firearms.

In response to this tragic event, some have called for additional gun control measures, like Senator Diane's Feinstein's bill that would stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of assault weapons as well as large ammunition magazines, strips and drums that hold more than 10 rounds. I oppose this bill and similar legislation, and believe federal controls often create burdens for law-abiding citizens and infringe upon constitutional rights provided by the Second Amendment. In my view, protecting the rights of citizens and providing for their security against foreign enemies and domestic criminals is the most important duty of government. The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution recognizes the right to possess and carry weapons. Law abiding citizens have a fundamental right to protect themselves and their families.

I am hopeful that this tragedy will highlight our country's need for greater awareness of mental illness. The causes of violence in our country are deeper and more complex than just firearms. We must continue to address the gaps in our mental health system and drugs and violence in our culture.

Please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress begins the 113th session and legislation is introduced to address these issues. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives. Please feel free to visit my website (www.house.gov/carter) or contact me with any future concerns.

Sincerely,

John Carter
Member of Congress

I want to send one to Bill Nelson but I want to send a more personalized one, mainly because I am not a gun owner nor do I plan to be one in the near future but the site doesn't seem to allow that. and I'm too lazy to send one on my own :(

Just got a response from my Senator.

Dear Mr. Python:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

Dear crowded,

Thank you for contacting me and sharing your thoughts about guns and gun violence. I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch.

The debate over preventing tragic and unnecessary deaths while maintaining our constitutionally guaranteed Second Amendment rights should not be an ideological one. This is a pragmatic and urgent issue that we all must be concerned with, so we can prevent terrible tragedies, like the one that occurred at Sandy Hook, from ever happening again.

As a Soldier and Military Police Officer, I have received extensive training and have significant experience in handling a variety of firearms. Having firsthand knowledge of the impact of these weapons, and the devastation they can cause, I do not see any role for military-style assault weapons on our streets and in our communities. This is why I support reinstating the assault weapons ban, and a ban on high-capacity clips holding more than 10 rounds. These provisions replicate the protections that we have already

in place in Hawai`i, and which have played a role in our state having the lowest firearm-related homicide rate in the country.

There are other policy changes that should occur- this includes increasing school security, shoring up our mental healthcare system, closing the gun show loophole, and requiring background checks on all persons wanting to purchase a gun. These are practical steps that both the public and gun owners have recognized as necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of those who should not own or use one.

I support the Second Amendment and our constitutional right to bear arms. In Hawai`i, we have a rich tradition of hunting, and some of our families rely on it not only for food, but for their livelihood. These responsible gun owners will not be affected by this change in federal policy, and will be able to continue their activities unaffected.

My concern is that we need to do more; we cannot just pass legislation and assume that it will solve the problem. The problems are much deeper. We have to take a holistic approach to protecting our communities. To begin with, we have to focus on resourcing and enforcing the existing laws that we have in place already. We have to come together and find creative ways to get illegal guns off the street. We have to empower the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to do its job. The agency has had five acting directors since 2006 and is in need of a permanent director and stable leadership.

Everyone wants to reduce gun violence, stop mass shooting tragedies, and prevent the 30 homicides from guns that occur every single day in America. I look forward to continuing the conversation with you as we work together to prevent more senseless death.

Sincerely,

TULSI GABBARD
Member of Congress

Dear crowded,

Thank you for contacting me and sharing your thoughts about guns and gun violence. I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch.

The debate over preventing tragic and unnecessary deaths while maintaining our constitutionally guaranteed Second Amendment rights should not be an ideological one. This is a pragmatic and urgent issue that we all must be concerned with, so we can prevent terrible tragedies, like the one that occurred at Sandy Hook, from ever happening again.

As a Soldier and Military Police Officer, I have received extensive training and have significant experience in handling a variety of firearms. Having firsthand knowledge of the impact of these weapons, and the devastation they can cause, I do not see any role for military-style assault weapons on our streets and in our communities. This is why I support reinstating the assault weapons ban, and a ban on high-capacity clips holding more than 10 rounds. These provisions replicate the protections that we have already

in place in Hawai`i, and which have played a role in our state having the lowest firearm-related homicide rate in the country.

There are other policy changes that should occur- this includes increasing school security, shoring up our mental healthcare system, closing the gun show loophole, and requiring background checks on all persons wanting to purchase a gun. These are practical steps that both the public and gun owners have recognized as necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of those who should not own or use one.

I support the Second Amendment and our constitutional right to bear arms. In Hawai`i, we have a rich tradition of hunting, and some of our families rely on it not only for food, but for their livelihood. These responsible gun owners will not be affected by this change in federal policy, and will be able to continue their activities unaffected.

My concern is that we need to do more; we cannot just pass legislation and assume that it will solve the problem. The problems are much deeper. We have to take a holistic approach to protecting our communities. To begin with, we have to focus on resourcing and enforcing the existing laws that we have in place already. We have to come together and find creative ways to get illegal guns off the street. We have to empower the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to do its job. The agency has had five acting directors since 2006 and is in need of a permanent director and stable leadership.

Everyone wants to reduce gun violence, stop mass shooting tragedies, and prevent the 30 homicides from guns that occur every single day in America. I look forward to continuing the conversation with you as we work together to prevent more senseless death.

Sincerely,

TULSI GABBARD
Member of Congress

Don't like this response, TBH. Sounded like a stereotypical cop before I went back and reread that he was an MP. I hope he realizes that not everybody lives on a small island or in an urban center and keeps his views on a state level. I don't want to give up my rights in NH because of what's best in Oahu.

And another one...
Dear crowded,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the federal regulation of firearms and ammunition. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

I have been truly saddened to hear of the cruel and deadly acts of violence committed against innocent victims across our country. The shootings in Tucson, Arizona on January 8, 2011; Aurora, Colorado on July 20, 2012; Oak Creek, Wisconsin on August 5, 2012; and the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012, have all deeply affected our nation.

In the immediate aftermath of the Newtown shooting, President Obama pledged to use the power of his office to engage all of us in an effort to prevent more of these tragedies. On December 19, 2012, the President established a task force headed by Vice President Biden to come up with proposals to address gun violence. On January 16, 2013, the President unveiled the task force's recommendations, which included 23 Executive Actions that President Obama has already begun initiating. These actions do not require congressional approval.

Included in the President's plan is a comprehensive set of proposals to require background checks for every gun sale, to ban assault weapons, to make schools safer, and to increase access to mental health services. To learn more about the President's proposals, please visit http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/preventing-gun-violence#what-we-can-do.

While President Obama has made progress on this important issue, he can't do everything that needs to be done to prevent gun violence. Congress must act as well. One of the President's proposals that requires congressional action is to reinstate and strengthen the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. This federal law was in effect from 1994 to 2004. Under this law, the use of high capacity ammunition magazines like the ones used in recent shootings in Tucson and Newtown would have been banned. In an effort to keep high capacity ammunition magazines like these off our streets, I was proud to join 20 of my colleagues in the Senate in support of S. 150, the Assault Weapons Ban Act of 2013. S. 150 would ban semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. The bill was introduced by Senator Feinstein (D-CA) on January 24, 2013. I am also a cosponsor of S. 2, the Sandy Hook Elementary School Violence Reduction Act which was introduced by Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) on January 23, 2013. This bill expresses the Senate's support for President Obama's efforts and indicates that Congress should act to address gun violence in a broader, more holistic fashion including improving access to mental health services and providing the necessary tools to identify individuals who pose a threat to themselves or others. Both of these measures have been referred to the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am a member. I will work with my colleagues to see these measures advanced.

While reinstating and strengthening the assault weapons ban is an important step in helping to reduce gun violence, there is still much more to be done. On January 30, 2013, the Senate Committee on the Judiciary held its first hearing of the 113th Congress to gather information and hear testimony on this important issue. During the hearing, I raised the issue of improving our mental health services by ensuring our schools have enough psychologists, counselors, and social services personnel to help identify and treat mental illness. You can view the testimony and video of the hearing at http://www.judiciary.senate.gov.

Addressing gun violence will require robust debate. Effective legislation should balance the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens with the need to protect our communities. While we may not agree on every approach to this important issue, I believe that all voices should be heard and considered. This is a debate whose time has come and I look forward to working with all my colleagues to develop legislation that we can all be proud of.

Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate Committee on the Judiciary continues its work to develop balanced, effective legislation on this important issue.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you would like to stay in touch with me on this or other issues of importance to you, please visit my website at http://www.hirono.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if I may be of assistance to you in any way.

Aloha,

Mazie K. Hirono
United States Senator

My senator (Kerry) keeps sending auto responses saying "he" is going to respond in due time. I have about 10 of these same emails in my inbox. Governor Patrick (MA) did respond but it was the typical, illogical we must reinstate the AWB and hi-cap magazines. Nothing I didn't expect.

Back