Autodesk Has Entered The 3D Game Engine Space

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Autodesk no doubt is worried about Epic and Crytec with their game engines being licensed to anyone for next to nothing responded by developing their own game engine. The new Stingray offers ease of use and eases the porting of models to their game engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2bgNlkb4LE

Nice! AutoCAD > SolidWorks. Entering the game engine space is very exciting news.

Huge fan of Autodesk; wish the feeling was mutual and they'd hire me already (like nine applications over the last year).

LOL a buddy of mine was just complaining that a recruiter asked him if he had experience with "the 3DS Max game engine". Egg on his face ;)

Nice! AutoCAD > SolidWorks. Entering the game engine space is very exciting news.

Huge fan of Autodesk; wish the feeling was mutual and they'd hire me already (like nine applications over the last year).

What do you do?

Seems unnecessary with Unreal out there

What do you do?
I'm a Mechanical Engineering Design student, and took up some Game Programming classes this past year to fill out my schedule.

Both fields deal with Autodesk applications (AutoCAD/Inventor for engineering design, 3ds Max/Maya for game development), and there actually is an Autodesk office in Toronto, but I guess it's super competitive, especially for students (on top of it being a hot market for employers in Toronto; every job I've applied to in both fields typically has at least over a hundred applications).

Unreal, unity we don't need more options those two do everything. And it was never difficult to get maya or 3ds assets into them.

Ease of use...give me a break. I wish they would just focus on better development of their current software than to start another.

Unreal, unity we don't need more options those two do everything. And it was never difficult to get maya or 3ds assets into them.

Ease of use...give me a break. I wish they would just focus on better development of their current software than to start another.
I think it's just their way of creating some vertical integration for their consumers, packaging all applications into one, and making the Autodesk "suite" the predominant resource in the gaming industry, not unlike Adobe's Creative Suite/Cloud is for creative/web professionals.

We'll have to wait and see if it measures up. They should've perhaps acquired Unity and added it to their suite instead.

I hated 3D modeling in AutoCAD when going for my degree. 3D facing of flat areas and mesh work was rough on small CRT monitors. The 2D aspect of it is insanely easy to pickup. First job while in college my fellow employees hated me for the speed of which i could produce drawings.

Autolisp was an awesome utility if you used standard builds. Way General Electric used Autolisp blew my mind.

Eh. They'll just buy out another innovative company if they need innovation. Changing the existing applications would be hard and expensive.

Pretty sure microsoft made as many significant changes to softimage in the short time they owned it as autodesk did in their time with it.

Awful fucking company, I hope they fold.

Back