Author sends out her novel's opening pages under a male name. Guess what happens...

Yeah, studies have shown that boys tend to not like reading books written by women. But, for some reason, everyone blames the boys for that. When a girl doesn't enjoy a book written by a man it's because he sucks at writing female characters.

A lot of women don't realize that they're shit at writing men in the same way that a lot of men don't realize they're shit at writing women. Most of YA is written by women and a large percentage is about boyhood and they get mad when young boys don't want to read about themselves from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I grew up reading primarily female authors (Judy Blume, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Beverly Cleary, etc) and they wrote about young girls and I never had a problem with it. When I wanted to read about castles and sports and badass shit, I read male authors because there weren't any female authors doing that stuff properly.

I have legitimately had dreams where I talk to Angels. They're mostly weird and frustrating but they happen from time to time. Should I bother trying to tell a publisher that? (I'm trying to write a book about heaven) or would they just assume I'm full of shit?

I have legitimately had dreams where I talk to Angels. They're mostly weird and frustrating but they happen from time to time. Should I bother trying to tell a publisher that? (I'm trying to write a book about heaven) or would they just assume I'm full of shit?
Are they Cherubs or
Orphians?

harry potter is complete shit? ok lmao never read a book again

They are. You admire them because you read them as a child; the nostalgia is overwhelming. Or you just don't read enough and thus have no idea what good writing really is.

harry potter is complete shit? ok lmao never read a book again

An intelligent person would have told me to read more.

The reason you think they're great is because you either are at a 6-12 year old reading level, or you haven't ever read good fiction.

Do you know what the percentage of female fiction authors is? I don't, it probably isn't easy to find out since there are many publishers. But here is a study of book reviews and found out most fiction reviewed by the publications listed was written by men.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/feb/04/research-male-writers-dominate-books-world

I suspect it depends on the type of fiction. If you're writing "bodice rippers", a female name is probably an asset. If you're writing tough-guy detective novels, not so much.

This may be made up, but with what we know I don't think we can rule out bias for at least some kinds of ficition.

I did not know that romance novels are also known as Bodice Rippers.

tumblr_inline_n1vwsxv7ty1qzem8g.jpg

They are. You admire them because you read them as a child; the nostalgia is overwhelming. Or you just don't read enough and thus have no idea what good writing really is.
ive literally never seen a post by you that isnt shit

An intelligent person would have told me to read more.

The reason you think they're great is because you either are at a 6-12 year old reading level, or you haven't ever read good fiction.

14 year old edgelord

ive literally never seen a post by you that isnt shit

Well, I wouldn't expect someone whose idea of great art is shlock like Harry Potter to appreciate my A-level posts, so I'll take your criticism as evidence that I'm doing something right here.

Sorry man, it's written for 6-12 year olds and reads like it.
How is that an indictment of the book? Its like blaming Frozen for mainly appealing to prepubescent girls.
Meh.

I'm not sure I'd call it complete shit... but it's weird that people act like Harry Potter is some Earnest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Charlotte Bronte, et cetera, caliber literature.
I think what people appreciated about HP is the fact that it was so overwhelmingly appreciated by such a young audience. As kids are reading less and less, or at least it seems like it to some, it was neat to see so many young people pick up a 300+ page book and read it cover to cover and get excited for the next one.
I never read Harry Potter or saw any of the movies, is this something I should do? Always thought it was for kids.
You're probably too old to be reading HP. If you're over 17 it probably won't be very appealing
As someone who is fairly involved in the writing/publishing community, there was a very obvious explanation that stuck out to me when I read this article:

She's writing about typical shit. Publishers don't just buy books, they buy authors. They want to sign you for several books. If she's writing about a 26 year old girl trying to find romance and a career in NY, no one wants to read that book by a 26 year old girl. It's typical. It's everywhere. No agent would get excited about that. Or a book about teenagers who find out they have magical powers. Or a book about a rich white woman who goes on an international journey to find herself.

Have those same stories written by a 40 year old man? It's different. It changes the sell. One of the first things I learned about query letters is that the writer has to show why they are the ones to write this novel (when any publisher could probably give the same idea to a very talented, cheaper, ghost writer). It's more interesting when the author is either very qualified (a geologist writing a book about mysterious, disappearing rocks in a Maine mining town) or contrary to what one would expect (a Pakistani immigrant who writes about a white family during the Great Depression).

This is like a man getting rejected for engineering jobs then claiming sexism because he got more responses when he put a female name on his resume. Publishing is dominated by women. Like, as in completely and utterly. Most readers are women, most editors/publishers/agents are women, and a very high percentage of published work is by women, including the majority of bestsellers.

2/3rd of the NYT bestsellers are women. Her book just isn't that good.
That's an interesting point, I would've never thought of that. Given that women dominate the industry would you say there is an advantage there for male writers or is that mainly in certain genres like romance?
Yeah, studies have shown that boys tend to not like reading books written by women. But, for some reason, everyone blames the boys for that. When a girl doesn't enjoy a book written by a man it's because he sucks at writing female characters.

A lot of women don't realize that they're shit at writing men in the same way that a lot of men don't realize they're shit at writing women. Most of YA is written by women and a large percentage is about boyhood and they get mad when young boys don't want to read about themselves from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I grew up reading primarily female authors (Judy Blume, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Beverly Cleary, etc) and they wrote about young girls and I never had a problem with it. When I wanted to read about castles and sports and badass shit, I read male authors because there weren't any female authors doing that stuff properly.
Another interesting point and it goes back to your earlier point; if an author can bridge the gap it can help them immensely. JK Rowling was able to write fairly decent male characters for her target demographic. Harry was hardly a man's man, he was a bit of a wimp, but he was likeable and had enough redeeming qualities to work and Dumbledore was great mentor to him.

How is that an indictment of the book? Its like blaming Frozen for mainly appealing to prepubescent girls.

When something is dumb'd down for children it sacrifices all the things that make literature great. The characters are all tropes, the storyline is easy to follow to the point of predictability, and the bad guys are easily identifiable because of how shallow all the characters are. There's nothing wrong with liking it, but don't claim its anything more than it is, and that's a shit story.

Don't get me wrong, I have my own shitty level entertainment but you'll never see me trying to pass it off as a work of literary genius.

When something is dumb'd down for children it sacrifices all the things that make literature great. The characters are all tropes, the storyline is easy to follow to the point of predictability, and the bad guys are easily identifiable because of how shallow all the characters are. There's nothing wrong with liking it, but don't claim its anything more than it is, and that's a shit story.

Don't get me wrong, I have my own shitty level entertainment but you'll never see me trying to pass it off as a work of literary genius.

Its been a long time since I've read HP but I from what I remember I think you're being a little hard on it. I would say it is an exceptional work given the demographic/genre. The world is interesting and fleshed out slowly over the books and there's are lots of references to previous books. I never felt like the core characters were tired tropes with the exception of the bullies. Sure not all the characters were really original but I felt like they were mostly as complex as they had to be.

Like I said earlier, if you're over the age of 17 you'll likely not to be impressed by the series but it did what it did very well.

For the record, I don't think anybody seriously compates Harry Potter to Crime and Punishment or anything by Dostoevsky..

I was just saying that Potter is a good series in it's own way.. You can say it's for kids, and that's fine..but it has a charm that appeals to everyone that isn't just being an abrasive dickbag..lol.. and there is something to be said for cultivating that kind of charm.. JK Rowling is a good writer and deserves a bit of credit..

For the record, I don't think anybody seriously compates Harry Potter to Crime and Punishment or anything by Dostoevsky..

I was just saying that Potter is a good series in it's own way.. You can say it's for kids, and that's fine..but it has a charm that appeals to everyone that isn't just being an abrasive dickbag..lol.. and there is something to be said for cultivating that kind of charm.. JK Rowling is a good writer and deserves a bit of credit..

Yeah exactly. Its no Great Gatsby but it has its place and its probably better than Twilight/50 Shades of Gray/Divergent

Maybe publishers get far more queries from women than men.

Also, prose is identifiable as written by a male or female. If the publisher didn't know it was a woman making the submissions, they'd be looking at prose that seems like it was written by a woman, by a man. That's something unique.

If there is discrimination against women (which wouldn't make sense at all), then that's not right and should change.

Depends on the genre.
Not a lot of women doing military Scifi or even Hard Scifi for that matter. It's typically a male dominated and male consumed genre.
Now that publishing is a dying industry and self-publishing becoming a new norm, things are changing though.
Just go to goodreads and look at the "new releases" and check how many "scifi" novels are Young Adult fiction with covers (and blurbs) you'd expect on a trashy, airport bodice ripper.

Do you know what the percentage of female fiction authors is? I don't, it probably isn't easy to find out since there are many publishers. But here is a study of book reviews and found out most fiction reviewed by the publications listed was written by men.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/feb/04/research-male-writers-dominate-books-world

I suspect it depends on the type of fiction. If you're writing "bodice rippers", a female name is probably an asset. If you're writing tough-guy detective novels, not so much.

This may be made up, but with what we know I don't think we can rule out bias for at least some kinds of ficition.

The Guardian report was focused on a survey looking at highbrow literature, which is but a small segment of the overall market for fiction. The irony is that the small demographic for that kind of stuff almost certainly views itself as progressive and concerned about gender equality. Readers of the New York Review of Books {NYRoB} over the last few decades would almost certainly have read Joan Didion, Susan Sontag, and Joyce Carol Oates' essays and thought themselves liberal-minded for doing so.

But I can't stress enough that the readership of the NYRoB is minuscule compared to the market for pop fiction. Circulation is just over 100,000. The Review is very prestigious, but not remunerative. Patricia Cornwell earns 10 million dollars a year for writing potboilers. She could write a lifetime for the NYRoB and not earn one-tenth that amount.

Last edited:
By the way, J.K. Rowling is worth one billion US dollars for creating Harry Potter. There's no greater sign of equality in an industry than when a woman can get rich creating the same kind of shit as a man can create.

Back