International Australia's Position in Asia-Pacific Geopolitics, as Beijing's Rising Shadow Casts Over Region.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Arkain2K, May 4, 2018.

1. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Chinese vessel believed to be spy ship docks next to HMAS Adelaide in Fiji
    By Andrew Greene

[​IMG]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-09/chinese-spy-ship-docks-next-to-hmas-adelaide-in-fiji/9852748

2. Arkain2K

Australia ramps up rivalry with China for influence in the Pacific
    By PNG correspondent Natalie Whiting and Foreign Affairs reporter Stephen Dziedzic

[​IMG]
    A traditional war dance was performed to welcome Australia's top military brass to PNG​

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...ry-with-china-over-pacific-influence/10792848

3. Arkain2K

'A man of many dimensions': the big Chinese donor now in Canberra's sights
    By Nick McKenzie and Chris Uhlmann | February 6, 2019

[​IMG]

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...now-in-canberra-s-sights-20190206-p50vzt.html

4. Arkain2K

Australia denies citizenship to Chinese political donor Huang Xiangmo and strips his permanent residency
    By political reporters Dan Conifer and Stephanie Borys

[​IMG]
    Huang Xiangmo (left) alongside Malcolm Turnbull at Chinese New Year celebrations in Sydney in 2016.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...angmo-wants-political-donations-back/10794726

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  5. IGIT

IGIT Black Belt

heya VivaR,

worry not, my friend.

with the US exiting the TPP and China casting a longer and longer shadow over the Asia Pacific region, that ship has sailed...and as far as "containing" Russia goes, we'll probably up our nuclear capacity so we can incinerate the planet ten times over instead of six.

all is well!

- IGIT

6. Arkain2K

Chinese billionaire Huang Xiangmo wants political parties to pay back his donations after failing in citizenship bid
    By political reporter Henry Belot

[​IMG]
    Huang Xiangmo, second from left, wants his political donations back.

A Chinese billionaire who has been prevented from returning to Australia has asked political parties to return the millions of dollars in donations he's made.

Huang Xiangmo quickly rose to become a leading pro-China lobbyist, courting politicians and donating at least $2 million to Australian political parties directly and through his companies.

But a decision from the Home Affairs Department to strip him of permanent residency and reject his citizenship application, made while Mr Huang was offshore, leaves him unable to re-enter the country.

Security agencies have raised concerns about Mr Huang's possible links to the Chinese Communist Party and the motivation behind his generous donations.

A joint ABC-Fairfax investigation in 2017 revealed his bid for an Australian passport had stalled due to those concerns.

In a statement issued on Friday, Mr Huang said he had been treated unfairly by the Australian Government and had not broken any Australian laws.

"It is profoundly disappointing to be treated in such a grotesquely unfair manner," Mr Huang's said.

"The decision of visa cancellation was made based on unfounded speculations that are prejudiced and groundless.

"This is not the Australia that I believe in, the Australia of freedom, democracy, rule-of-law and fairness, but I keep my faith in law and justice."

The ABC understands the decision to ban Mr Huang from Australia was delivered months ago.

Mr Huang, who is contesting the decision, said all his donations had been made in strict adherence to Australian law.

"If any of the past donations I made was deemed inappropriate by any political party or political figure, I again propose the option for them to duly return the amount donated without the need to pay any interest," Mr Huang's statement said.

"The returned money will be then donated to Australian charitable organisations accordingly."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...angmo-wants-political-donations-back/10794726

7. IGIT

IGIT Black Belt

hi Arkain2k,

what is your opinion on this?

- IGIT

8. Arkain2K

Personally? I hope they wouldn't give that obvious Beijing shill a cent back, especially when he himself acknowledged that "all his donations had been made in strict adherence to Australian law".

9. IGIT

IGIT Black Belt

hi Arkain2K,

thanks for responding.

i have mixed feelings about it. if what Mr Huang did was within the bounds of the law of the land, i don't see what the problem is.

i get that the Chinese are growing and flexing, since that's what super powers who are on the ascent do, and that nations that feel threatened by that flexing don't like it...but if they are playing the game by the rules...

...what's the issue here?

- IGIT

10. Arkain2K

Here are the list of official reasons provided by Home Affairs:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...offshore-denies-passport-20190205-p50vtg.html

It also said that over 2,000 Australian citizenship applications have been denied annually on "Character" and "National Security" grounds.

11. IGIT

IGIT Black Belt

hi again Arkain2K,

alrighty.

i'd read a few followup pieces on Mr. Huang.

what i've gleaned is that big political donors often have the ear of whatever officials they've donated money to. like, they have the kind of access that ordinary people don't have.

i ask again, is this illegal in the land down under?

i'm asking because it doesn't seem that anyone went to jail over this. aside from that, the piece you linked doesn't really specify why Mr. Huang was singled out and denied citizenship.

- IGIT