Australian boxer dwight Ritchie has died.

Crazy how Zerafa almost died too on national TV just a few years back

hqdefault.jpg

I never knew you could die from a body shot,
Actually yes, it is possible and isn't first time case. Earlier a few deaths were not in boxing.

But yup, chances to die from head/ neck blow are xxx more.

I never knew you could die from a body shot, I know that they hurt like hell but always figured they were the less lethal option. Very sad news and he was so young. Tragic RIP
There was a fighter some years ago who took a fight for some cash to pay for his mother's funeral. Died of a heart attack (IIRC) after a body shot. It happens, thankfully infrequently.

I guess his autopsy should shed more light onto why he actually died hopefully.

I don't know if this is true, but legends is Harry Houdini died after letting some guy punch him in the stomach repeatedly and it damaged an internal organ.

I don't know if this is true, but legends is Harry Houdini died after letting some guy punch him in the stomach repeatedly and it damaged an internal organ.
sounds like it was true. I assume that some people have died from bodyshots in boxing but that it was rare, i've never heard of it before. it's weird, lately, i've been wondering if a guy with an undiagnosed heart condition could have a heart attack that way in boxing, they say ray robinson used to hit guys right in the heart and that it would stop their heart momentarily, i really think it could happen. or, could be a weak vessel or could be from the headshots that he'd been taking. won't know until the autopsy is done. you're internals can cause some problems, a few weeks ago, i was doing some of those leg presses and being as i'm so fucking fat now, i got carried away and was scrunching up, the blubber caught on my ribcage at a wierd angle and i tore some shit up, it feels like more than my ribcage, like a tore my stomach too. Us men are pretty stupid sometimes. the shit hurts worse than when I broke 3 ribs in sparring. I could still hit the bag when I broke my ribs, but with this shit, i really can't do anything that involves a lot of violent movements.

I mainly did KB not boxing, boxe only 11 bouts.
Yes, kicks might be strong, for example I few times had marks on six pack for 2 - 4 weeks, but not broken anything in middle section.
Once didn't had anything but he smashed me on ground with sidekick. Yup, if not even partially rolled out maybe this kick was able to break floating ribs. And if it was when i moved in his direction, then most likely ICU with broken ribs happened.
But death looks really horrible, usually no one wish inflict long term harm.

Hit the chest hard enough and you can upset the heart rhythm even to the point of causing a heart attack, it’s uncommon but it happens, even some deaths in soccer with the ball hitting a player chest full force, especially if there is some underlying slight issue.
Also a hard enough hit can rupture the liver or an abdominal artery and cause massive internal bleeding, even rarer but has happened.

Fighting is dangerous.

I never knew you could die from a body shot, I know that they hurt like hell but always figured they were the less lethal option. Very sad news and he was so young. Tragic RIP
Thats how Houdini died.

Thats how Houdini died.
Price said that Whitehead asked Houdini "if he believed in the miracles of the Bible" and "whether it was true that punches in the stomach did not hurt him". He then delivered "some very hammer-like blows below the belt". Houdini was reclining on a couch at the time, having broken his ankle while performing several days earlier. Price said that Houdini winced at each blow and stopped Whitehead suddenly in the midst of a punch, gesturing that he had had enough, and adding that he had had no opportunity to prepare himself against the blows,

So he died after getting cheap shotted several times by some uni student. What a way to go.

I heard it was an amateur boxer and hit him once, rupturing his appendix

The Body shot was a shot to the chest. It wasn't anything different than usual or that he wouldn't have been hit with thousands of times before. But there is the chance of a shot landing at the right moment interrupting the beating of the heart. Likely a freak accident and nothing to do with his conditioning or a pre-existing condition. I've heard of it happening maybe twice over the years, usually by friends playing a punching game at the pub and hitting each other in the chest to see who had the hardest hit.

Lacrosse game a few years ago: kid got hit in the chest and went into cardiac arrest. Luckily, athletic trainer on hand had an AED close by.

Saved the kid's life.

Heard he had an undiagnosed heart condition.

damnit.

how the hell does a punch stop the heart, though? not saying it didn't happen, i'm genuinely curious. i mean considering a single cycle of a heartbeat repeats itself around every second, i'd expect a lot more of these to occur if it's just a matter of timing.

I would imagine an internal rupture similar to a aneurysm in the abdomen. My father left this world 4 months after an aneurysm in his abdomen. The doctors who saved his life for those 4 extra months (that he spent not even knowing what state he lived in or what year it was) said he shouldn't even have survived the ambulance ride. He just dropped to the ground, eyes rolled all the way back in his head, turned white as a ghost, and was totally unresponsive as his abdomen region doubled nearly in size. He was in a coma for a month then came back to us in such a confused state after emergency surgery before sepsis from his massive wound finished him off. Internal ruptures are no joke and we credit those last 4 months to his hardness as a man who served 2 terms in Nam as a tunnel rat and sniper, 20 yr vet and decorated hero and drill Sgt. I'm honestly surprised the way boxers get ripped to body this isn't a more common occurrence. Rip young man, so sorry you leave behind loved ones so young.

There was a ppv card in Australia last night, they did a good job of advertising his wife and 3 kids go fund me page. Pushing 40k now.

The Body shot was a shot to the chest. It wasn't anything different than usual or that he wouldn't have been hit with thousands of times before. But there is the chance of a shot landing at the right moment interrupting the beating of the heart. Likely a freak accident and nothing to do with his conditioning or a pre-existing condition. I've heard of it happening maybe twice over the years, usually by friends playing a punching game at the pub and hitting each other in the chest to see who had the hardest hit.
If it's just a case of just hitting at a specific time interrupting a heart beat, there would be way more deaths from this. The heart literally beats like every second. There's more to it than that.

If it's just a case of just hitting at a specific time interrupting a heart beat, there would be way more deaths from this. The heart literally beats like every second. There's more to it than that.

There literally is a moment in heartbeats where it is the electrical impulse that causes it to beat can be disrupted, we're talking 0.0001 of a second sort of timing. It's not all that uncommon, google people dying after being punched in the chest and you'll find thousands of examples.
Or he simply had an artery rupture in his chest also not uncommon. Fit people die every day from heart attacks.

Back