Social Australia - we are full and don't want more migrants

This. And it’s a huge problem when this is ignored. It’s a big part of why people native to the country they’re landing in have issues with it. It’s not the only issue they’ll have of course, but it’s a big one. It baffles me that this is ignored by people discussing these issues -I mean, I get politicians ignoring it, but not regular everyday people during these discussions.

This idea that culture and traditions native to people in these countries for decades/centuries don’t matter and ‘aren’t under threat at all guys’ in these situations is dumb. People should have a right to want to protect and preserve those things and the people they elect should put those concerns front and center over the concerns of outsiders.

If you read the OP you'd see that most Australians don't care about the "cultural issues".
Already 1 in 4 Australians were born overseas. Integration of skilled migrants hasn't been problematic.
Those that thought more diversity was good outnumbered those that thought there was already too much diversity by 2:1. That's despite the fact that only 3/10 Australians thought Australia needs more people.
There's more pragmatic concerns.

Last edited:
If you read the OP you'd see that most Australians don't care about the "cultural issues".
Already 1 in 4 Australians were born overseas. Integration of skilled migrants hasn't been problematic.
Those that thought more diversity was good outnumbered those that thought there was already too much diversity by 2:1. That's despite the fact that only 3/10 Australians thought Australia needs more people.
There's more pragmatic concerns.

I’m speaking in generalized terms, and not just Australia as this is becoming a global concern. Polls only take you so far as to understanding everything that dictates a climate. Most people don’t participate in polls to begin with so it’s difficult to use this as a gauge for anything on its own.

I’ll also add that while I will consider them to a point, I don’t completely trust polls anyways. Wouldn’t be hard to manipulate results to get whatever narrative the manipulator desires.

I’m speaking in generalized terms, and not just Australia as this is becoming a global concern. Polls only take you so far as to understanding everything that dictates a climate. Most people don’t participate in polls to begin with so it’s difficult to use this as a gauge for anything on its own.

Those concerned with cultural change are represented by the "One Nation" party. They aren't significant (outside of central Queensland anyway).
The concern over immigration in terms of massive population growth however, covers the entire political spectrum.
Americans are good at projecting their politics on the situations in other nations though.

This. And it’s a huge problem when this is ignored. It’s a big part of why people native to the country they’re landing in have issues with it. It’s not the only issue they’ll have of course, but it’s a big one. It baffles me that this is ignored by people discussing these issues -I mean, I get politicians ignoring it, but not regular everyday people during these discussions.

This idea that culture and traditions native to people in these countries for decades/centuries don’t matter and ‘aren’t under threat at all guys’ in these situations is dumb. People should have a right to want to protect and preserve those things and the people they elect should put those concerns front and center over the concerns of outsiders.

Why would you need de-emphasize former identity?
I don't get it, new people with a different culture add something, they don't remove anything.

Americans are good at projecting their politics on the situations in other nations though.

Be sure to remind all the ‘non American’ IP’s you see in American political threads of this..

Be sure to remind all the ‘non American’ IP’s you see in American political threads of this..

Ignoring facts to construe the situation in other countries via parochial politics is a particularly American thing to do.

Ignoring facts to construe the situation in other countries via parochial politics is a particularly American thing to do.

Judging by what I’ve seen from all sides of the War Room -you included- I’d say it’s a very ‘Sherdog’ thing to do.

Judging by what I’ve seen from all sides of the War Room -you included- I’d say it’s a very ‘Sherdog’ thing to do.

You haven't been reading enough then, and outside of Sherdog. Your current president is great at conflating international events with his domestic politics without a regard for facts.

Would you care if the tens of millions of those Americans with those views decided to come to Australia to voice them and vote in your elections?

Would you care if the tens of millions of those Americans with those views decided to come to Australia to voice them and vote in your elections?

Sure, but we already get massively bombarded with American politics simply as a virtue of being in the anglosphere.
It's literally the case that a school shooting and gun control debate in the US can put gun control on the political agenda in Australia (see the Adler lever action shotgun nonsense) despite our already strict laws and completely incomparable situations.
Likewise with identity politics.
Our growth rate, degree of urbanisation and environment alone make our population situation entirely different to the US. Let alone the nature of our skilled migration.

Sure, but we already get massively bombarded with American politics simply as a virtue of being in the anglosphere.
It's literally the case that a school shooting and gun control debate in the US can put gun control on the political agenda in Australia (see the Adler lever action shotgun nonsense) despite our already strict laws and completely incomparable situations.
Likewise with identity politics.

First, I wasn't mentioning the ideas as much as if the actual people with those ideas made their way over to Australia and embedded themselves in the electorate of your elections by the tens of millions. Seems like it would be incredibly destabilizing.

Secondly, it didn't seem like it was the American media that got your govt' to strip your rights as much as it was your govt's reaction to Port Arthur.

First, I wasn't mentioning the ideas as much as if the actual people with those ideas made their way over to Australia and embedded themselves in the electorate of your elections by the tens of millions. Seems like it would be incredibly destabilizing.

Secondly, it didn't seem like it was the American media that got your govt' to strip your rights as much as it was your govt's reaction to Port Arthur.

I'm talking recently, we didn't have this level of internet saturation in 1996.
When there's another mass shooting and gun control debate in the US, the likes of Shoebridge and Hanson-Young will ramp up their firearms legislation nonsense here while Howard starts vigorously and publicly patting his own back.

In terms of the facts, your immigration politics aren't really comparable to ours. We don't really have illegal immigrants to any degree, but we have twice the percentage of foreign born citizens and our skilled labour migration is much more restrictive. Also our population is growing at more than twice the rate of yours, we are much more of an urbanised population and our environment has a much lower carrying capacity.
We still get effected by your identity politics nonsense though, on both sides of the spectrum.

You haven't been reading enough then, and outside of Sherdog. Your current president is great at conflating international events with his domestic politics without a regard for facts.

Sounds like War Room Moderator material to me. You should send him a pm bud..

I'm talking recently, we didn't have this level of internet saturation in 1996.
When there's another mass shooting and gun control debate in the US, the likes of Shoebridge and Hanson-Young will ramp up their firearms legislation nonsense here while Howard starts vigorously and publicly patting his own back.

In terms of the facts, your immigration politics aren't really comparable to ours. We don't really have illegal immigrants to any degree, but we have twice the percentage of foreign born citizens and our skilled labour migration is much more restrictive. Also our population is growing at more than twice the rate of yours, we are much more of an urbanised population and our environment has a much lower carrying capacity.
We still get effected by your identity politics nonsense though, on both sides of the spectrum.

Might help explain those poll results, eh?

Might help explain those poll results, eh?

Most of them are Brits. Aside from a couple of years post WWII, they were the largest immigrant group arriving each year by nation of birth up until 2011.
Anti Greek/Italian sentiment overwhelmingly died off by the '80s and anti Asian sentiment mostly died off in the late '90s.
Identity politics (aside from dog whistling about "boat people") hasn't been successful here on a national scale since the centre-right Liberal party ended the White Australia policy in 1966.
Although the likes of Hanson-Young, Hanson and Dutton will still give it a red hot crack.
Voting is compulsory here. There is no minority coalition that could win a national election to be targeted by identity politics from the left. On the other hand playing majority identity politics against the "other" will also alienate/disgust too many to win an election.

Back