Economy Australia pays $50 Billion for diesel submarines.

squeezewax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What a joke!
We are getting 12 DIESEL powered subs! Delivery will start in 2034! The final one will arrive around 2057! Can you believe that?

No nuclear subs for us, no way, we want diesel! China must be really scared of our navy! We can't even defend our coastline at the moment.

In 2009 we were told the most urgent need is for new submarines, the PM signed on the deal today, 2019, wow that's really urgent. If we back out we will have to pay millions to the French.

Many experts are saying these submarine are totally unsuitable and that we should have nuclear powered subs. However so many Aussie hate the word nuclear.
As someone on tv said today, it's like someone in 1900 ordering the latest Zeppelin and getting the final delivery after WWII!
It's embarrassing, and i bet America would rather we had made a better choice too.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...red-by-french-during-submarine-talks/10797920

I just posted in an immigration thread, that I live in America and would love to move to Australia. I regret that post now. feel for you mate. It’ll be ok. Get yucky with the boys Friday night and forget about this. Cheers mate.

(Am I doing it right?)

I hear it's financial reasons more then anything else correction its British aircraft carriers not subs they have nuclear subs.. Maintenance costs are huge on a nuclear sub. The other issue is the reason for a nuclear sub becomes more apparent but due to the fleet not being nuclear they figure people need to be refueled anyways. US and French are way way ahead in that part both have nuclear powered aircraft carriers and subs.

We have no nuclear industry for support, so going nuclear certainly wouldn't be a quicker or cheaper option.

Diesel subs are quieter than nuclear, but have other limitations in terms of range, submerged time.

We have no nuclear industry for support, so going nuclear certainly wouldn't be a quicker or cheaper option.

It's my opinion that you get such industries in the first place by federal investment, usually related to defence. Canada also does not have nuclear subs because 1.) the U.S. blocked sales of reactors from France and the U.K. using the Warsaw pact, and refused to sell us their reactors, and 2.) rather than opting to design and build our own, the Conservative party cancelled the program. Because of course they did, because that's all they do.

Now it's 30 years later and we still don't have the capability to do it, or any spin off nuclear industry, and our shit ass diesel subs are in dry dock, and one of them lit on fire and killed a sailor.

It's my opinion that you get such industries in the first place by federal investment, usually related to defence. Canada also does not have nuclear subs because 1.) the U.S. blocked sales of reactors from France and the U.K. using the Warsaw pact, and refused to sell us their reactors, and 2.) rather than opting to design and build our own, the Conservative party cancelled the program. Because of course they did, because that's all they do.

Now it's 30 years later and we still don't have the capability to do it, or any spin off nuclear industry, and our shit ass diesel subs are in dry dock, and one of them lit on fire and killed a sailor.

We've got one reactor (Lucas Heights) purely for science and medicine, and even that is extremely controversial.
No party wants to be tied to the nuclear debate, although it's traditionally had support from the Liberals. There was some discussion restarted over the issue around 2007, but it was completely killed off by Fukushima.

At least you're buying new ones. Canada bought a couple of lemons from the British and they're were barely operational after billions spent on repairs.

At least you're buying new ones. Canada bought a couple of lemons from the British and they're were barely operational after billions spent on repairs.
Canada has had a bad track record recently with our purchasing decisions. I say turn transport manufacturing over to the private sector and turn Bombardier into a government military development company. Let's make a cool helicopter or some sort of awesome anti-missile program, just to remind people we're here and don't suck.

good deal.

in related news, the former Aussie PM will be
retiring to his new villa in the French Riviera

Canada has had a bad track record recently with our purchasing decisions. I say turn transport manufacturing over to the private sector and turn Bombardier into a government military development company. Let's make a cool helicopter or some sort of awesome anti-missile program, just to remind people we're here and don't suck.

Lol, Boeing and Airbus will never let bombardier, or Embraer be anything other then their subsidiary.

good deal.

in related news, the former Aussie PM will be
retiring to his new villa in the French Riviera

You're going to have to be a little more specific, we've had a few of those of late.

Nothing wrong with modern AIP subs. They are pretty quiet, can stay down a while and somewhere between a tenth and a third of the cost of a nuclear sub.

Weaponize your great white shark population.

Are these them?
1Kc7.gif

You think your government is stupid Canada is buying your old subs....we might as well just build our own out of old screen doors lmao.

You think your government is stupid Canada is buying your old subs....we might as well just build our own out of old screen doors lmao.

If you sink your enemies subs, they win.

What a joke!
We are getting 12 DIESEL powered subs! Delivery will start in 2034! The final one will arrive around 2057! Can you believe that?

No nuclear subs for us, no way, we want diesel! China must be really scared of our navy! We can't even defend our coastline at the moment.

iu

Australia has never been able to defend its own coastline (the British fleet used to do it) and needing America in WWII wasnt enough of a wake up...but I expect this from a nation of people that so willingly handed over its ability to protect themselves because of a single shooting incident.

If China wants Australia, it can take it, easily and a few submarines wont stop it...there is just a massive difference between the peoples of each nation that it will cause a steamroll effect.

Back