Elections Aussie Federal Election ; Who are you voting for?

Liberal democrats
The shooter, fishers and farmers party

Greens last followed by labour

Would you care to expand on that?

The common trend between them is obviously that I think the highest earning people can afford to pay more tax, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Cheers
So I sacrifice living away from my family for large periods of time to earn a healthy wage to prop up everyone else. Why am I being punished with high taxes because others atnt willing to make sacrifices to financially get a head.

So I sacrifice living away from my family for large periods of time to earn a healthy wage to prop up everyone else. Why am I being punished with high taxes because others atnt willing to make sacrifices to financially get a head.

Are you earning > $180,000 a year?

I know nothing about Australian Culture, so I won’t comment.

The plight of a fifo worker. No way should they get taxed more.

The names of the parties themselves speak of their political stance.

The Labor party is the party of 'the people'. They are center left, are pro-union, and are right leaning for the economy (ie: pro-regulation, favor the power be handed to the people rather than the corporations). They are absolutely the party that believes in higher taxes for corporations.

The Liberal party is the party of 'free economy'. They are center right, are left leaning for the economy (ie: free market, anti-regulation) which is where their name comes from. A significant center piece and debate topic of the previous Federal election was exactly what you talked about; the Liberals proposed deductions to company taxes.

In this instance, it is simply black and white; the ethos of the two parties hinge on this very question.
Party of the people? Bill Shorten sold his people (union workers) down the road for $300 000 can you trust this man not to do the same again

Ugh, I get so jealous reading political discussion from people in parliamentary countries where they actually have more than two choices.

Ugh, I get so jealous reading political discussion from people in parliamentary countries where they actually have more than two choices.

We have two choices, center-left and center-right. We don't have a circus as bad as the US, so there's that.

Once again, I am depressed by the choices.

This financial year most probaly not, but the last 5 or so yes

If you are earning >180,000 a year you are in the top 4%, and once again I encourage you to vote for your own interest (that's what Democracy is about). But if the rationale is "it works for me", you shouldn't expect 96% of the population to be supportive of it. I'd encourage you think of a better reason that appeals to people outside the 4%.

Side note: Lotsa rich folks in the War Room with two of three people in the top tax bracket (>$180k/year)

We have two choices, center-left and center-right. We don't have a circus as bad as the US, so there's that.

It definitely appears that your political culture skews right, similar to the United States'.

But at least with having multiple parties situated across the spectrum - as it appears to me, it's a left party (Greens), a centrist party (Labor), and then three center-right parties (I have no idea the policies that distinguish any and would probably label one or many as right-wing if I did) (Liberal, National, and Liberal National) - you can have hope of organizing to resolve issues without them being cock blocked by single-issue hold-ups. For instance, in the United States, 70% of the population wants to reform campaign finance, protect the environment, and move left on healthcare, but half of them will never, ever vote in favor of those issues because it would require them to vote for a party they perceive to be lustful, infanticidal black supremacists.

It's been a while since I've done anything but vote from the bottom up, in terms of those I'd least like to see elected, up to the independents which most closely represent the direction I'd like to see the overall political landscape taking.

Nick Xenophon and the Centre Alliance, Shooters, Fishers and Farmers, The Science Party and The Democrats are likely to rank higher than the major parties for me, depending on their specific platforms and priorities outlined this election campaign.
In terms of preference between Liberal and Labor, I have little confidence in either. I do support increasing the highest marginal tax rate, but I'm concerned that grandfathering negative gearing might be too blunt an instrument.
I have no confidence in Shorten as a leader or Labor's stability in general, but then I've even less confidence in the Liberals given the absolute farce with Turnbull and Dutton.
At the bottom of the pile it seems unlikely that any party will fall below the Conservative Nationals or One Nation.

Realistically speaking there are only two choices, but the preferential system means that we can vote for minor parties and independents with "losing" our vote (it always flows on to one of the final two).

YouCantWasteYourVote_1000w_p01.jpg

YouCantWasteYourVote_1000w_p02.jpg

YouCantWasteYourVote_1000w_p03.jpg

YouCantWasteYourVote_1000w_p04.jpg

If you are earning >180,000 a year you are in the top 4%, and once again I encourage you to vote for your own interest (that's what Democracy is about). But if the rationale is "it works for me", you shouldn't expect 96% of the population to be supportive of it. I'd encourage you think of a better reason that appeals to people outside the 4%.

Side note: Lotsa rich folks in the War Room with two of three people in the top tax bracket (>$180k/year)
Anyone in this Country has the oppertunity to make big money with minimal skill sets if there willing to make big sacrifices, but gues what, there not willing to do it and would rather others take up the slack for them. I understand taxing large multinational companies more but to penny pinch of blue collar workers doesnt sit right with me.

Realistically speaking there are only two choices, but the preferential system means that we can vote for minor parties and independents with "losing" our vote (it always flows on to one of the final two).

YouCantWasteYourVote_1000w_p01.jpg

YouCantWasteYourVote_1000w_p02.jpg

YouCantWasteYourVote_1000w_p03.jpg

YouCantWasteYourVote_1000w_p04.jpg

Haha, the bottom three images aren't showing up for me, but I'm guessing the essence is that you can vote for the Nice Party and not worry about shorting the Discreet Scumbag Party to the benefit of the Complete Scumbag Party.

EDIT: They're showing up now. Thanks. I wish we had that in the US as well.

Back