Aug. 29th PPV Jake Paul vs Tyron Woodley Showtime Boxing

Winner?

• Total voters

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...r-ufc-champion-tyron-woodley-per-reports/amp/

Jake Paul is ready to get back in the ring. The social media influencer turned pro boxer is back as he takes on for UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley in a boxing match, according to Mike Coppinger of The Athletic and MMA Fighting. The date, venue and rule set are still to be announced, but the pair have agreed in principle to a deal.

Paul (3-0, 3 KOs) is coming off a first-round knockout of former two-promotion MMA champion Ben Askren, who had Woodley in his corner for the bout. Woodley was the member of Askren's team to watch the hand wrapping of Paul in Paul's locker ahead of the fight where a bit of beef broke out between Woodley and Paul's trainer J'Leon Love.

Another old past prime gun shy wrestler.

This is such a weird fucking loophole.

Jake Paul is making good money by selling the image that he is a “boxer” without having to actually beat any boxers and MMA fighters can grab a solid payday to pad their retirement accounts likely making more* than they did for their MMA fights.

(*So long as he continues to fight guys that didn’t draw big PPV numbers as headliners)

I suspect that any fans that follow either sport will see thru this and recognize it for the sham that it is, but with Jake Paul being a famous “YouTuber” he may be able to continue generating decent revenue by getting casuals to buy based on his childish clown behavior and the coverage he gets in MMA and Boxing media since they also know they can get in on the cash grab because covering this clown show will get them clicks and views.

Last edited:
I was a pretty big fan of Woodley in his prime. It’s sad to see this is what his career’s come to. In his defense I guess, I’m sure it’s gonna be a nice payday and for the next few months he’s gonna be the talk of the town

Cool.

Another old past prime gun shy wrestler.

Don't forget undersized. Jake Paul walks around at like 210lbs and is 6'1''. He will cut to 190 to fight an MMA fighter that fights at 170 and is 5'9'' Tyron has way better hands than Askren, but his hands aren't on the level of a pro boxer. All of that being said I will still watch. I'm not proud of it, but I'm still going to:D

Don't forget undersized. Jake Paul walks around at like 210lbs and is 6'1''. He will cut to 190 to fight an MMA fighter that fights at 170 and is 5'9'' Tyron has way better hands than Askren, but his hands aren't on the level of a pro boxer. All of that being said I will still watch. I'm not proud of it, but I'm still going to:D
Yup.

Don’t expect him to take anything even remotely resembling a fair fight any time soon. Especially now that Showtime is clearly not worried about preserving the integrity of the sport and happy to cash in on a freak show.

What will be interesting is : will this abomination headline over actual elite boxers? Or will showtime build an entire freak show card?
Triller didn’t have a history of putting on legitimate events.

Trolling mma can be funny but I'm not down with the Paul brothers at all, and I think they deserve bad things. Gotta pull for Woodley. Especially since I felt bad for him getting disrespected by Paul and J'leon Love.

What really sucks is guys from my generation (growing up in the 80's) used to talk about Hagler, Duran, Hearns now ask me about "hey is this Paul Jake kid any good ?" but dont know who Crawford, Spence ,Charlo Beterbievs/Bivols are

Unlike Askren, Woodley has a big right hand, so it has to be considered a step-up in competition I guess. Of course, the fact that Woodley was a UFC champ, also brings some prestige to the fight.

Woodley was probably chosen based on his last few non-efforts, but maybe it was all a genius strategy to land this fight. Maybe not.

Sad thing is, just like Askren, Woodley will make as much in this fight as he would in multiple UFC fights.

Well he did destroy Darren Till. A MMA striker. So i at least will allow myself to have a bit higher hope for Tyrone to get the job done.

What really sucks is guys from my generation (growing up in the 80's) used to talk about Hagler, Duran, Hearns now ask me about "hey is this Paul Jake kid any good ?" but dont know who Crawford, Spence ,Charlo Beterbievs/Bivols are
They stopped being fans of boxing a long time ago. There have been so many great fighters since the 4 kings I'm not sure how you can fall out of love with boxing.

At least he has a punchers chance unlike his mate. Ex champ with some hands is a step up but Tyron is know for not showing up.

They stopped being fans of boxing a long time ago. There have been so many great fighters since the 4 kings I'm not sure how you can fall out of love with boxing.

Maybe its the watering down of all events or strong personalities i dont know. Same thing happened in MMA with the same kinda guys knowing all about Royce, Shamrock, Severn, up to maybe Lidell and then they drop out only asking about McGregor fights.

I'll openly admit I was one of those people who really thought Askren would get the job done.

Can we agree that Woodley is way more fit for purpose and we can expect a proper murder?

Back