Audi drops remaining manuals in their lineup

Obsolete shit that people are holding onto for sentimental reasons.

always been a fan of the five or six speed manual gearbox but there's something to be said about the current 'automatic' trans that is available across the board in performance brands.
computerized shifting makes it almost instantaneous and smooth. removing the human element sure, but insuring a smooth up or down shift with zero error, which makes for an overall enjoyable ride.

Sherdoggers shitting on automatics reminds me of that uncle that always shits on smartphones.

seAkV6m.gif

always been a fan of the five or six speed manual gearbox but there's something to be said about the current 'automatic' trans that is available across the board in performance brands.
computerized shifting makes it almost instantaneous and smooth. removing the human element sure, but insuring a smooth up or down shift with zero error, which makes for an overall enjoyable ride.
yes, they're good for the drag strip but joyless to drive.

10 speed? hm, never heard of that.
I have a 2017 Mustang Cobra GT350 with a manual 6 speed.
actually going to the track with it tomorrow.
Sonoma Raceway with SF Speed.

I can't stand manual transmission as daily driver is a pain, my first car was a stick shift and hated it, I remember being stuck on a hill with a stop light and sweating so I Didn't roll back and hit the car behind me, this was a stupid hill I had to pass through going to school hated it

Manual are a pain in the ass to drive, but its weird it took my time to learn to break habits while driving an auto, Id have one foot on the break and one on the gas by habit because when I used to drive stick id be used to my left on the clutch and I had a habit of breaking with my left foot especially when going up hill.

I heard somewhere that they are thinking of teaching driving students to drive like that now with one foot on the gas and one on the break instead of just switching over.

BRAKE
I'm sure repair shops will love people who left foot brake. Hybrid cars use regenerative braking when you let up on the accelerator and electric cars might never need to use the brake pedal.

10 speed? hm, never heard of that.
I have a 2017 Mustang Cobra GT350 with a manual 6 speed.
actually going to the track with it tomorrow.
Sonoma Raceway with SF Speed.
jelly. the gt350 is an amazing toy.

I still enjoy manuals even though I know that modern automatics surpass the performance of manuals. My choices are getting more limited. I hope the next gen Z and upcoming Toyota Supra will offer manual transmissions.
Nope, it's pretty much confirmed that new supra will not be available in manual. At least not right away.
{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}

How'd you even develop that habit? You don't even do that when driving a manual.

<DontBelieve1>

But if true, we're looking at a heck of a lot more potential accidents.
Left foot braking is used quite a lot in racing, formula one is all left foot braking I believe. Karting is also all left foot braking. While that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for real world driving, it doesn't make it automatically bad either.

Left foot braking is used quite a lot in racing, formula one is all left foot braking I believe. Karting is also all left foot braking. While that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for real world driving, it doesn't make it automatically bad either.

Yes, but that’s because in racing, you don’t plan on stopping, only slowing down. I haven’t driven a go kart in over a decade but if my memory serves me right there’s no clutch and neither do you plan on stopping until the very end.

But in real world driving where stopping for the traffic every 100m in a manual car requires both your brake and your clutch, left foot breaking is literally the most ridiculous thing.

I think the VW forums were saying that there won't be a manual 2019 GTI in Australia, not sure if plans for Europe/NA have been announced yet.

Weird when the competing Focus ST only comes stick, though I'm not sure if those get another year in NA or not.

Yes, but that’s because in racing, you don’t plan on stopping, only slowing down. I haven’t driven a go kart in over a decade but if my memory serves me right there’s no clutch and neither do you plan on stopping until the very end.

But in real world driving where stopping for the traffic every 100m in a manual car requires both your brake and your clutch, left foot breaking is literally the most ridiculous thing.
Left foot vs right foot braking doesn't have anything to do with coming to a complete stop.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking

Yes people use left foot braking even with clutch operated manuals. Watch hardcore sim racing on YouTube where they have pedal cams. Plenty of left foot braking even when driving manuals. When you need both (down shifting) you heel toe.

Audi - "The Drivers Car." Such bullshit. Manual for life.

I think the VW forums were saying that there won't be a manual 2019 GTI in Australia, not sure if plans for Europe/NA have been announced yet.

Weird when the competing Focus ST only comes stick, though I'm not sure if those get another year in NA or not.
So far they only declared that for the Australian market. Maybe they have really high federalization costs so decided to ship one transmission? No way they do that for the US market with its diehard traditionalist VW fans who are resistant of change.

The only reason the Focus ST (and RS) came in stick only is because Ford doesnt have a reliable dual clutch transmission. The next one will probably have that option but it won't come to the US anyway.

There are seismic changes coming to the auto industry and cars will be vastly different in 10 years.

Sad to see it go away from the TT. Don’t really care about the rest of their lineup. Manuals should only be in sportier cars anyways. Guess you’ll need to buy a Porsche or a motorcycle now.

Left foot vs right foot braking doesn't have anything to do with coming to a complete stop.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking

Yes people use left foot braking even with clutch operated manuals. Watch hardcore sim racing on YouTube where they have pedal cams. Plenty of left foot braking even when driving manuals. When you need both (down shifting) you heel toe.

And again, your point is that left-foot braking is common in racing, which I've agreed with you and given you what I believe is the reason.

And to reference the very link you sent me
Road use
Many commentators advise against the use of left-foot braking while driving on public roads. Critics of the technique suggest that it can cause confusion when switching to or from a vehicle with a manual transmission,[8] and that it is difficult to achieve the necessary sensitivity to brake smoothly when one's left foot is accustomed to operating a clutch pedal.[9] Most of the arguments are based on the difficulty of switching from automatic to manual cars, and do not apply to people who only drive automatic cars.[8][9][why?]

However, some commentators do recommend left-foot braking as routine practice when driving vehicles fitted with an automatic transmission, when maneuvering at low speeds.[10]

Proponents of the technique note that in low-speed maneuvers, a driver of a vehicle with a manual transmission will usually keep a foot poised over the clutch pedal, ready to disengage power when the vehicle nears an obstacle. This means that disengagement is also possible in the event of malfunction such as an engine surge. However, the absence of a clutch on a vehicle with automatic transmission means that there is no such safety override, unless the driver has a foot poised over the brake pedal.[10]

So unless Tidwell is a race car driver, otherwise it's ridiculous for someone to have been used to driving with left-foot braking in a manual transmission car.

Back