Attn: Xtrainer

Cratos

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do you lock every thread? I think there are six on the first page.

Do you:

A) Hate fun?
B) Dislike helping noobs?

The FAQ isn't the answer to everything. Sometimes, even the most simple of questions (including ones found in the FAQ) can benefit from discussion and various answers.

Last edited:
I agree, if he doesn't like a topic or thinks it's been answered somewhen before he just looks it. No other mod on sherdog does it like him.

C. He hates noobs who cant do the following
1. Read the FAQ's
2. Use the search function to find the other 100 posts on the same subject
3. Use google to get a basic understanding of said issue and only ask specific questions to clarify certain things instead of asking broad questions that have been answered 10 million times already.

Looking @ the first page, the first 2 closed threads have Enright posting last, which would generally imply that he closed them (Though not 100%) The third was a shit-show from the start and needed to be closed. The fourth was "how do I lose weight?" & I think that one might have been covered once or twice before. The fifth (the only one XT posted in that I've seen) had nothing to do with D&S. And as for the sixth, well, you decide. Do we really need this question answered in its own thread again?
Protein Shakes
What do Protein Shakes Do exactly?

When should you have some?

How Much?

When?

what type is best?

I think if a thread should be closed, the mod should make a final post as to why exactly he is closing it or at least a funny picture. Enright gets it. I hate when a thread is magically closed with no explanation.

Ronin, what type of shake do you think is best and how much? You are most likely a good source of advice.

Arby's Jamocha obviously. And the biggest size they'll give me :D

There's a place called 25 Burgers near me where you can still get a malted milk shake. Delicious. Their Oreo shakes and peanut butter shakes are also awesome.

I noticed that when the newer crop of mods came in, threads started getting whacked with the quickness both here and in the S&P (I shall not recognize the S&C). I'm sure some of it is justified as there are numerous duplicative threads (and always will be), but some threads start off like every other noob "Help me lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks omg lol1111" thread and wind up being informative because they stimulate discussion. Otherwise, what's the point of a forum like this? We could all just read the FAQ and follow its links to MDA or Aragon or Berardi or McDonald or whoever, and there'd be no real need for the forum at all.

But how am I supposed to kill the 10 hours I'm stuck at work every day with that? Huh? How?!?!?!

There's a place called 25 Burgers near me where you can still get a malted milk shake. Delicious. Their Oreo shakes and peanut butter shakes are also awesome.

I noticed that when the newer crop of mods came in, threads started getting whacked with the quickness both here and in the S&P (I shall not recognize the S&C). I'm sure some of it is justified as there are numerous duplicative threads (and always will be), but some threads start off like every other noob "Help me lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks omg lol1111" thread and wind up being informative because they stimulate discussion. Otherwise, what's the point of a forum like this? We could all just read the FAQ and follow its links to MDA or Aragon or Berardi or McDonald or whoever, and there'd be no real need for the forum at all.

But how am I supposed to kill the 10 hours I'm stuck at work every day with that? Huh? How?!?!?!

I'm feeling this.

Let me just go through the threads locked on the first page right now:

1. Is possible to get into shape without supplements, and how?
2. What foods to eat/not eat?
3. Best way to lose weight for a 17 year old?
4. Guy asking seemingly random questions about MMA classes.

NONE of these threads would have been started by anyone who had read the rules and FAQs.

One of the biggest concerns on this board before I was a mod was the preponderance of threads that showed a complete disregard for the rules/FAQs. There are several problems with these sort of threads. One, they are an absolute magnet for bad advice. Every time we get one of these threads, posters I've never seen in D&S before come in and post what seem to be quotes from "Good Morning America"'s health segments with a little bit of "Self" magazine thrown in.

Two, the OP's get flamed. Of course, they return fire. That's obviously not productive, either.

The whole point of having rules and FAQs is to elevate the discourse, so we're talking about original and interesting topics instead of the same broad, general, superficial topics ("how do I lose weight," "how do get healthy," etc.) all the time. Another characteristic of a worthy thread is individuality/uniqueness. "I want to lose weight" does not represent a unique problem, and therefore only the most general answers (i.e., those found it the FAQs) can be provided. It is similar to someone asking in S&C, "How do I get strong?" Unless there is some extraordinary circumstance, the answer is always going be something along the lines of "squat, bench, deadlift, press..." and so forth.

On the other hand, if the OP describes why his situation is particularly difficult or unique, then we have the seeds of an interesting discussion.

And there's nothing wrong with multiple threads about a similar topic, so long as the OP brings something new or interesting to the table. However, many of the threads I lock essentially amount to questions of definition. How many threads do we need to tell people what whey protein is?

I think it is reasonable to lock threads that show an ignorance of the rules and FAQs. If you would rather see the sorts of threads I lock remain open, communicate as much in this thread.

I think this forum can do better, but it hinges on people actually reading the rules/FAQs. You don't have to agree with them (though they're hardly controversial), but you need to speak the language before we can have debates about these topics. As it stands now, people are starting threads in complete ignorance of the FAQs/rules, and in accordance with the rules, I lock those threads.

If you disagree with that policy, then we probably shouldn't have FAQs or rules at all, beyond the basic board rules. There would be no point. Why take the time to educate yourself when you can ask whatever you want of the board, no matter how repetitive/ridiculous those questions are?

I don't think I would want to mod that board.

Last edited:
internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

Two, the OP's get flamed. Of course, they return fire. That's obviously not productive, either.

Do not underestimate ridicule as a training aid. Especially in predominantly male environments, virtual or otherwise.

since you started to lock all threads there is even less conversation going on then before, booring, people need to start making more interesting threads, maybe a thread about healthy cheat recipes or what's your breakfast, or just plainly what do you eat ect.

since you started to lock all threads there is even less conversation going on then before, booring, people need to start making more interesting threads, maybe a thread about healthy cheat recipes or what's your breakfast, or just plainly what do you eat ect.

You mean...like a diet log...or recipe thread...

Back on topic here. What is this jamocha shake that you speak of?

Back