ATTN: UFC Owners. Wanna Bring Back Fan Interest? Bring Back Tourneys

fuckin right
20140801042503_Picture24.JPG

As an alternate, he wasn’t in the “zone” and was confused by the latest techniques:

9gy234.gif

I hope people realize that more or less behind the scenes the match makers are always running a tournament, just not in the traditional sense.

Tournaments are fine but now days its tough as a majority of fighters consider themselves above being regulated to a tournament.

Basically the owners should survey sherdog and then completely do the opposite. They should cater to what paying fans want, not the low lives who frequent here and stream everything while crying for higher fighter pay..........

Yes. twice for PCTs just before UFC 200 and he was given a wave by the UFC to SKIP TESTING for 4 months leading up to that allowing him to basically keep roiding up while training.

http://roidvisor.com/brock-lesnar-got-off-steroids-time-ufc-200-got-caught-using-pct-drug-clomid/

You do not take PCTs unless you are doing steroids.

http://roidvisor.com/brock-lesnar-returns-ufc-given-opportunity-use-steroids-without-fear-testing/

it counts as getting caught once. he's been flagged for one fight in his career. don't try to make him different than anyone else who failed and was suspended once.

and yes, in order for him to be available for 200 he had to get a waiver from the testing pool timeline. like other fighters signed for upcoming fights who hadn't been in the testing pool.

i'm not saying brock doesn't use steroids of course. just that people put him in some unique category when reality is he's been flagged in exactly one fight and sat out for 2 years. and is now back in the testing pool.

Who doesn't like a tournament? It's the ultimate cliche that we love to watch. The biggest caveat though is fighters pulling out. It would be ok during the first round, but after that it would suck if a fighter had a pull out in the semi's or final fight.

I know LW is not the best example, but can you imagine if they did a 8 man tourney with these fighters.

LW
Khabib
Conor
Ferguson
Lee
Alvarez
*Max
*Ortega
*RDA

LW backups
**Barboza
**Poirier
**Gaetheje
**Edgar

Imagein 8 of these 10 MW with 2 of them as backups. Would be fun to watch.

MW
Whittaker
Romero
Rockhold
Wiedman
Jacare
Costa
Adesanya
Gastelum
GSP
*Mousasi (bring him back)

I don't mind seeing a UFC GP...

They could have put the opening rounds and 2nd rounds on FOX Cards...gain interest and then put the finals on a PPV or so...

i'm not saying brock doesn't use steroids of course. just that people put him in some unique category when reality is he's been flagged in exactly one fight and sat out for 2 years. and is now back in the testing pool.

All of his previous fights were back in the days the UFC was using questionable testing and many other fighters were called into doubt about if they were using or not...that was the very reason why the UFC made a big deal about moving to USADA to begin with. To CLEAN up the promotion...you dont CLEAN up if you dont think fighters are using.

Lesnar, being from the WWE, was using roids for years. To think he suddenly stopped just to fight in MMA is laughable especially since he stayed massive while, say, Bobby Lashley dropped nearly 30lbs of muscle. He was billed as 275lbs in the WWE, 240lbs in MMA and is now back up to around 275 back in the WWE. And his size difference is noticeable while Lesnar is just cutting 15lbs for his fights to make max weight of 265lbs. No change in size.

That boy is a roid machine.

Prove me wrong. Lesnar gets a title shot with a 3-1 record over guys with 6 straight wins, gets caught doing roids twice without a single victory over-turned or pay taken away and still gets invited back to fight.

I don't understand the 3-1 record part, but Lesnar was caught once & is serving the suspension & he was fined (so pay was taken away)

But he received a title shot over 10 years ago with one UFC victory & that was over a gate-keeper
Sonnen received a title shot in a new division after a loss

Prize Fighting is not altruistic in matchups & never was or will be

In another thread the TS wondered what would become of the titles if DC retired with both HW and LHW belts. No better time than to have the first UFC Grand Prixs, imo. We all know TUF is the UFC's self proclaimed "toughest tournament in sports." But is it really? Who here wouldn't tune into a tourney featuring the 8 best available at each weight class with the winner becoming the division champ? Make it the 12 best available and have two alternate bouts.

But, the divisions aren't very deep right now, right? What a perfect way to create some stars and some drama, both of which the current owners are looking for, in spades.

The UFC needs to shake some things up. The product is stale af at the moment. Sometimes, the best thing to do to look towards the future is to look to the past. Not only would a lot of us hardcores not mind seeing this happen, most people in general love tourneys, and they may be able to gain back some older fans familiar with the format who fell off.

Who's with me? They claim to put on the fights the fans wanna see, maybe if we show interest they will bend to our will?

latest
grand prixs were an absolute waste of time that did more harm then good the last one the UFC ran ended in the LW division not having a champion and eventually shut it down for a couple years.

Tourneys give fighters more significance and legitimacy because you see this guy beat that guy, so he's probably good and moves up the bracket, and the guys left at the end are probably good or lucky.

You could have a tourney with 9 out of 10 of the most hyped lightweights and 9 out of the 10 A-level mysterious named Heavyweights.

That's not going to do 10% of what a single Conor or Lesnar or Prime-Celeb-Liddell fight would do.

In another thread the TS wondered what would become of the titles if DC retired with both HW and LHW belts. No better time than to have the first UFC Grand Prixs, imo. We all know TUF is the UFC's self proclaimed "toughest tournament in sports." But is it really? Who here wouldn't tune into a tourney featuring the 8 best available at each weight class with the winner becoming the division champ? Make it the 12 best available and have two alternate bouts.

But, the divisions aren't very deep right now, right? What a perfect way to create some stars and some drama, both of which the current owners are looking for, in spades.

The UFC needs to shake some things up. The product is stale af at the moment. Sometimes, the best thing to do to look towards the future is to look to the past. Not only would a lot of us hardcores not mind seeing this happen, most people in general love tourneys, and they may be able to gain back some older fans familiar with the format who fell off.

Who's with me? They claim to put on the fights the fans wanna see, maybe if we show interest they will bend to our will?

latest

Unless you have multiple fights in one night, all tournaments do is prevent matchmaking from being flexible and stall divisions up.

They should just merge with the WWE and get it over with. UFC hasnt been a legit sport in years and that is why they brought Lesnar back.

Roided up freaks with little skill that can bring in the mouth-breather PPV buys over actually trying to earn those buys with legit contenders.

UFC isn't/was never a sport you goof. Its a company that's sole purpose of existing is to make its owners money.

Would be great for us hardcore who follow closely. Not sure how this engages the casuals,who are a majority of the audience. Don't get me wrong I love the idea, and I'd love to see it, but I'm pretty sure I understand how the UFC operates by now.

Last edited:
if you include the champ in the tourney it's as if you're taking away his championship. in a tournament everyone starts 0-0.

if you don't include the champ, how long does he wait (or who does he fight in the meantime?)
I wouldn't include the champ if I were hosting a tourney. That would be a good time for a super fight. PRIDE made that can crush time, which is fine, but I'd rather see a fight that kinda matters (only kinda). If the champ takes part, but doesnt win, winner get the shot after he wins. If the champ makes it to the final, just put the belt on the line.

Uranked nobodies?

Pantoja was widely considered one of the best 125'ers in the world going into that season of TUF, was seeded #1, and is currently ranked #8 by the UFC. Meanwhile, the guy who beat him on the show (Hiromasa Ogikubo) is fighting Horiguchi next in Rizin.
Well, I beg your pardon then. But even so, nobody cared. The public doesn't care about that weight class. They want new fans, doing a GP at HW and LHW will definitely interest those potential fans, especially the fact that some of the participants have names. That 125 tourney? Even a lot of genuine fans had no clue who those guys were. There's an obvious difference to what was posed in the OP and what you are a answering with. People want to see tourneys filled with at least SOME names that are recognizable. If you had a GP featuring Miocic, Werdum, Overeem, and Hunt, that right there is enough name recognition to make a tourney people would he interested in. Literally no one knew the Ogikubo or Pantoja are, even now. Apples and oranges, bud.

grand prixs were an absolute waste of time that did more harm then good the last one the UFC ran ended in the LW division not having a champion and eventually shut it down for a couple years.
That was over 15 years ago, and that result isn't a common result. How many draws do we even have on a regular basis? Not to mention that that result could be failsafed before the tourney is even started.

I wouldn't include the champ if I were hosting a tourney. That would be a good time for a super fight. PRIDE made that can crush time, which is fine, but I'd rather see a fight that kinda matters (only kinda). If the champ takes part, but doesnt win, winner get the shot after he wins. If the champ makes it to the final, just put the belt on the line.
but the champ losing within the division and still being the champ is a huge issue. it doesn't really make sense.

Back