Attn Parents: 3 year old started wetting the bed again. What do I do?

As for the bed wetting, I have absolutely no advice. I never wet the bed once after I was 2. My Dad and brother both did until about age 9 or so. My oldest has been cursed with their gene as well as he still does most nights at age 7. There is no rhyme or reason. We have tried cutting off liquids 3 hrs before bed and that didn't make a difference. We have even tried getting him up at 1am and having him go, and he will still go again between 1 and 6:30. Some times he will go 2 or 3 nights good, then he will be wet for 3 straight months.

Do not put her in bed until she goes potty. I make my daughter no matter how much crying go to the bathroom before bed. She always does and we haven't had a problem in a year and a half. (She's 4)

First, like others have said, at 3 years old it's not a problem or something you should be worried about. You can put 'em in pull-ups for sleeping or wake up with 'em during the night, either is totally fine at 3. Toddlers...yeesh.

Good Lord, my boy is three and we are have NO success with potty training. I feel like a failure.

Don't feel bad. Some things just take time. Lots of good advice in this thread -- best is to not get frustrated about it. Don't want to make your kid develop a complex about it, like Sarah Silverman.

I was going to make a joke about beating the kid but I seriously didn't expect anyone to be dumb enough to think that hitting their kid was a good solution to bed wetting.

Haha I clicked on the thread to say "Hit him" as a joke, but then I saw the post you responded to and had your same reaction :D

I would definitely make her use the bathroom before bed each night. Hell: I do that regardless. I don't like to go to bed without having had at least tried to pee like 5 minutes beforehand. Especially as I hate getting up to piss.

With this child I try to get her to go as often as she changes her mind, because if we don't then she will inevitably decide she's got to go in the middle of me trying to do something that could cause the destruction of earth. That kind of thing.

At 2 and a half my son went a week without wetting the bed.

Thought I was superdad. And away went the diapers

Then he peed the next 5 nights straight and it was back into nightime diapers

We're trying again now. He's about 50/50

Some kids just have bladder problems. I work with kids and every now and then there's a second-grader who still has a bladder problem.

The best comedy was when I saw two first-grade kids playing legos together. I walked by them and I smelled shit. Working with toddlers taught me the bat-signal when a kid shits himself. So I jump into the fray and I have to decide which kid shit themselves. I tell another teacher who knows the kids better (It was a summer camp) who I think it was. They said "No, it's probably the other kid. He has a loose butt or something."

Well I'm at odds with myself becuase I could have sworn I was correct. Turns out I was. And so was the other teacher. Both kids had shit themselves. These shitpants knew they smelled so bad that they removed themselves from their original friends and found each other, like shitpantsing-soul mates. Who could judge one another when they had shit themselves as well? It was a friendship made in heaven, or in this case, a friendship made it shit. A friendshit.

Nearly shit myself laughing!!

Some kids just have bladder problems. I work with kids and every now and then there's a second-grader who still has a bladder problem.

The best comedy was when I saw two first-grade kids playing legos together. I walked by them and I smelled shit. Working with toddlers taught me the bat-signal when a kid shits himself. So I jump into the fray and I have to decide which kid shit themselves. I tell another teacher who knows the kids better (It was a summer camp) who I think it was. They said "No, it's probably the other kid. He has a loose butt or something."

Well I'm at odds with myself becuase I could have sworn I was correct. Turns out I was. And so was the other teacher. Both kids had shit themselves. These shitpants knew they smelled so bad that they removed themselves from their original friends and found each other, like shitpantsing-soul mates. Who could judge one another when they had shit themselves as well? It was a friendship made in heaven, or in this case, a friendship made it shit. A friendshit.

holy fuck, that's a hilarious post.

lmao

Fucking beautiful.

Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day. Thats my best advice. Seriously though good luck. Maybe something before bed is giving her anxiety. Or give her rewards. Every night clean she gets a treat. Like something small a ring pop or something. Every night bad, no ring pop. Maybe she has a stomach ache and isnt saying anything. See whats up. Sorry Im not more help.

Dump her now. That's a serial killer in the making bro

Whenever my kid does that I give him a light spanking just to let him know that its not ok.

This, is not ok.

Spanking a kid for an involuntary action that they probably aren't real proud of in the first place is not constructive.

1fd5pcsfxip.gif

My parents would lay towels on my bed and make sure I didn't drink too much before bedtime.

Wire up electrical currents that shock when the bed gets wet. It will condition them out of bedwetting.

They Have something similar to this. I wore a bracelet type device on my wrist that had a couple of wires that fastened to my underwear via a metal snap. The moisture would trigger an ear piercing alarm.

As for the bed wetting, I have absolutely no advice. I never wet the bed once after I was 2. My Dad and brother both did until about age 9 or so. My oldest has been cursed with their gene as well as he still does most nights at age 7. There is no rhyme or reason. We have tried cutting off liquids 3 hrs before bed and that didn't make a difference. We have even tried getting him up at 1am and having him go, and he will still go again between 1 and 6:30. Some times he will go 2 or 3 nights good, then he will be wet for 3 straight months.

had this done to me as well, from supper time on, no liquids.

Whenever my kid does that I give him a light spanking just to let him know that its not ok.

Rub his nose in it.

Had these also, in addition to being stripped and having to wash my sheets/etc buck naked at three in the morning or whenever discovered, usually with a shrieking/distraught mother. I can also semi relate to the shit pants kids in that I was often sent to school wreaking of it. I just eventually grew out of it around 8-9 and try to block that part of my childhood out.

Edit: after going through some yearbooks, I grew out of it summertime between grades 6 and 7 putting me at 12.

Last edited:
When I was a young one and wetted my bed , I was placed in a burlap sack and beaten with reeds.
Pretty standard stuff , really.

Had these also, in addition to being stripped and having to wash my sheets/etc buck naked at three in the morning or whenever discovered, usually with a shrieking/distraught mother. I can also semi relate to the shit pants kids in that I was often sent to school wreaking of it. I just eventually grew out of it around 8-9 and try to block that part of my childhood out.

I have memories of my mother screaming at my brother in teh morning as well because she had to wash some sheets during the day interrupting her busy day of diet coke and soap operas. I try to make a point of not getting upset. She acted like it was something he could control and was deliberately wetting the bed to create more work for her.

I have memories of my mother screaming at my brother in teh morning as well because she had to wash some sheets during the day interrupting her busy day of diet coke and soap operas. I try to make a point of not getting upset. She acted like it was something he could control and was deliberately wetting the bed to create more work for her.

Such a misunderstood disorder/part of life/whatever. For sure my mothers shrieking woke the house up and probably the neighbors as well. I can remember avoiding class mates at recess and lunch so as not to make everyone else a part of my issue(the smell), and would try and distance myself as much as possible during class to limit anyone elses discomfort. Numerous hair brushes and wooden spoons were busted on the back of my head/ ass. My father, although never screamed/hollered, for lack of a better term, had his own ways. I can recall one time something happened to the washing machine that caused it to go off balance making it "walk", every now and then. HE would tell me it was from "pissy sheets". Or if I asked to borrow his pocket knife to whittle, he'd always ask " are you going to piss the bed tonight?".

hook up some sort of electrical wiring to the mattress thats triggered to bite hard when the piss flows
edit. read thread through and noticed exact same idea

Just start making her 'Go' one more time before bed. And maybe install a night light in the bathroom and hallway to make it easier for her to find her way in the dark if she wakes up in the middle of the night.

Back