1. Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Attn Competitive Grapplers - need advice

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by LivnLaVidaChoka, Apr 10, 2008.

1. LivnLaVidaChoka

LivnLaVidaChoka Orange Belt

I'm competing in my first tournament this Saturday. I walk around at about 216. The weight class I had planned to compete in is super heavy (200-215). I often weigh over 215 so the last week or so I have been dieting good and increased my cardio to make sure I come in at 215 or under. I was able to get my weight down to about 212. I hit the sauna last night (for under 15 mins) for a little experimental cutting and was able to cut to 208 without much problem. I woke up this am at 209.

Keep in mind that I have never cut weight before. I'm seeking advice form those who have.

1. If I weighed in at 209 this am do you think it is possible to cut to 200 by Friday afternoon between limiting caloric intake and another cardio/sauna session?

2. I am weighing in Friday afternoon and the tournament is Saturday. Will this be enough time to rehydrate and feel human again before the comp?

I need to make this decision now bc I either want to go full throttle to 200 or eat some fricken food.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. damit2hell

damit2hell Guest

For the Renzo Invitational? Just shoot for under 215 if you have never cut weight b4, a 15 lb cut is gonna sap your endurance if its your body is not used to it

3. LivnLaVidaChoka

Thanks for the response.

Yeah I'm competing in the Renzo. I saw your post yesterday and I'll be in your division. I think I read that you were cutting from 220. That got me thinking that a lot of the bigger guys on the cusp will be cutting hard as to not compete in the super super heavy (215+). Thats why I hit the sauna last night to see if 200 was possible. So basically it's your fault I was in the sauna last night haha.

I really don't want my performance to suffer so I'm leaning towards just staying at my natural weight which is at the top of the weight class to begin with.

Does anyone have an argument to make the cut?

4. damit2hell

damit2hell Guest

Yea, im cutting from 220, but im a fatty so its easy for me to cut :p

5. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

It's very possible to cut below 200, but I would strongly advise against it. Since you don't have cutting/replenishing experience it is very likely you will be a walking dead man the day of the tourney.

You will be much better off eating/drinking and being happy, especially since this is your first tournament.

6. Tony Manifold

Tony Manifold Brown Belt

9 pounds is an easy cut if you want to do it and you are not already slim. No carbs today, 1 gram of protien per goal body weight and limit the water. Go for a run with bags on. Tommorrow morning, hit the suana, no water or food. As soon as you make weight, drink a bottle of pedialyte or gatorade (pedialyte is better) eat a small carb meal. Later on in the night eat a bigger meal. Drink as much water or pedialyte as possible for the rest of the day. You will put most of the weight on.

However, with all that said if you are a novice and are going for the experience of the tourney, just stay at your natural weight and enjoy the tourney. Weight cutting sucks but it does help.

Edit: It is better to cut for the first time when you don't have a tourney. Because cutting weight and not making it kills you more than cutting and making it. Ask Joe riggs and Travis lutter.

7. LivnLaVidaChoka

Two great points. Yeah I want to have a good experience at the tourney as I don't know what to expect. I def think I'd rather be in peak condition.

And yeah I've though about the repercussions of not making the weight. Both physically and mentally.

Thanks guys for helping me make up my mind. I have been going back and forth over this.

8. MMA Fanatic

MMA Fanatic White Belt

I wouldnt advise it on your first tournament. It will suck the lifeforce out of you and you will be far more likely to gas during your matches. In the future, just start cutting weight a little further in advance and you will be fine

9. JJd2sc

JJd2sc Yellow Belt

Don't want to fully hijack this thread, but...

I am around 162 right now, and plan on fighting at 159 at NAGA georgia on may 10th. That is easy enough. Where I am a bit concerned is I am fighting in a tournament in TN exactly one week after NAGA, and for that I need to be 155. How do I cut from 162ish to 155 in a week for a same day weigh in? NAGA is night before, so I will just roll off 3lbs and go over. Is there a particular kind of diet I need to do? A wrestling friend said that cut is pretty easy, but didn't stick around to tell me the details.