Attn all Royce network guys

guardpasser

Tudo Bem Bjj
@Black
Reaction score
you are getting a new member.....Me.
After long thought and geographical decisions i am joining the network.
after all its where i started in the mid 90's. hope to see a lot of you on the mats soon.

Welcome back. So who you training with? I train under Lamonte Tyler(who is a purple belt) in charlottesville

i know lamont, tell him i was the guy who he beat at the dale jr 4-0, we stayed in half guard most the match,i went for a throw and he landed in mount. he is a good guy, i tried to make it up there last year and i ended up in richmond 1 mile from a school so i just trained there.

i am at buddy clintons, he is going to beat me into shape

Good to have ya. I am at Sam Marcellini's in Moreno Valley CA. Hope to see you sometime...

if i ever get to make it to cali, i will definetly try to come by there. one day i hope to make a tour of schools that sherdoggers are at.

So the Royce Gracie Network does produce good schools?? Everyone here is acting like he is just giving out belts?? If you don't have a near by school will this program help you develop the skills needed to start your own school?

TX-Bjj said:
So the Royce Gracie Network does produce good schools?? Everyone here is acting like he is just giving out belts?? If you don't have a near by school will this program help you develop the skills needed to start your own school?

It depends. They will allow a blue belt to teach a class, which I don't agree with. I can see how bad jiu jitsu is better than none at all, but I think they should have to be purple to be able to teach.

Man the royce gracie gym. I thought it was the best.

Royce does not just give out belts. I don't know who started that or who said it, but I know for a fact that it can take a lot longer to get a belt from him than some other black belts. Anyone that thinks that Royce just hands out belts is a complete idiot. It took me over two years of training five or six days a week busting my ass to get my blue.

It depends. They will allow a blue belt to teach a class, which I don't agree with. I can see how bad jiu jitsu is better than none at all, but I think they should have to be purple to be able to teach.

To teach what? I think any blue belt should be able to teach white belt material with ease. That's all they should be teaching though.

EDIT: Actually, rethinking this, I think some Blue Belts can teach. The instructor should be able to tell which students really understand the technique and which students are simply able to do the technique well enough for testing.

I've been to gyms with beginner classes that have blue belts teaching, never found anything wrong with it.

im not a Royce fan at all but i know he personally does not give out belts like candy

maybe his reps do but to get a belt from his own school is hard

Royce does not just give out belts. I don't know who started that or who said it, but I know for a fact that it can take a lot longer to get a belt from him than some other black belts. Anyone that thinks that Royce just hands out belts is a complete idiot. It took me over two years of training five or six days a week busting my ass to get my blue.

Most Royce blues dont take two years to get it. Then again very few of ANYONE's blues take that long (2 years) to get with 5-6 days training a week.

I know a fellow who got his blue from Royce after a year, so its not like everyone will have to train that much. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying Royce is an easy belt, but the amount you trained to get one (blue) isnt the standard either. The guy I know who got his is good though.

Can you explain why you chose Royce Gracie?

One thing i don't understand about guys like royce is that he doesn't even have an academy (IIRC) he does seminars. So how does one become his student? Other than paying him and brining him in for seminars that is. If you trained with him for an extended period of time then i understand (at least 6 months training witht he man every day), that way you will understand what his philosophy and theory in bjj is. But to never have spent a siginifant amount of time with the man and then call youself a "so and so" x belt is wierd to me.

Let's take Carlson Sr. as an example. To the best of my knowlage he has never let a person who did train with him use his name or be called one of his students. But for the sake of arguement let's say he did.

So you have a school and have him say once or twice a year for seminars. He stays a few days and he trains you for those few days... Say you are a brown or purple... Are you telling me that your jiu jitsu will be on the same lvl as a man who trained with carlson every day for 6~8 years? I am not even talking about beating him or loosing to his real student. A person spends every day with carlson is effected by him naturally. In the way he treats his teamates, applys jiu jitsu, and how he teaches. How can a few days replace years of training?

To teach what? I think any blue belt should be able to teach white belt material with ease. That's all they should be teaching though.

Maybe break falls and shrimping and upa etc...actual techniques definatly not if the students are shelling out big money for it

Maybe break falls and shrimping and upa etc...actual techniques definatly not if the students are shelling out big money for it

Understood. People want teacher time. Blues in our school would be assistants, not the only teachers there.

Perhaps a school with a blue that is about to make purple, sure. Heck, purples technically can open their own school.

My gym is a Royce Gracie affiliate. Evidently, (and this is coming from my instructor) Royce asked him to open a gym back in the day, when he was a purple belt. Over the years he got promoted, etc, etc. I'm not sure how long ago the gym was opened, but he started training in 97, and he is now a brown belt. Not sure how long he was a purple, etc.

Anyway, Royce does seminars every so often, as does Rodrigo, Kyra, Royler, etc.

I'm in the beginner/white belt class. I wouldn't consider myself a "Royce Gracie" white belt, or whatever. My head instructor is a brown belt under Royce, I'm a white belt under him. It takes generally 8 or 9 months (for the average person) to make it to 4 stripe white belt, which is when you move up to the advanced class. after that it depends on the person on how soon they get their blue.

About half the time, a 4 stripe blue belt teaches the beginner class, with two other blue belts assisting him. (there are usually 15 to 25 in any given class) the other half, the head instructor teaches our class. (the brown belt) and on saturdays, a purple belt teaches our class. While i can tell that the brown and purple have more knowledge, all of them are great teachers, and i learn a lot from each of them. I never feel shorted on my instruction.

anyway, that is just how it is at my gym, I can say that its the same at every Royce Gracie Affiliate, or whatever. Hope this helped.

Back