Attention Sherdog: the IV ban is about drugs, not weight

Pseudo Sane

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people missing the point on the IV ban.

There is a significant contingent that seems to think that the purpose of the IV ban has something to do with weight cutting.

This is wrong. It is not about weight, but to prevent blood doping and masking PEDs, per USADA protocols:
http://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibit...g-iv-infusions-for-re-hydration-and-recovery/

Here is the most important quote:

WADA has justified the inclusion of IV infusions on the Prohibited List given the intent of some athletes to manipulate their plasma volume levels in order to mask the use of a prohibited substance and/or to distort the values in the Athlete Biological Passport. Further, it must be clearly stated that the use of IV fluid replacement following exercise to correct mild rehydration or help speed recovery is not clinically indicated nor substantiated by the medical literature. There is a well-established body of scientific opinion to confirm that oral rehydration is the preferred therapeutic choice.

The other thing to take away is that oral hydration, done properly, is just as effective as using an IV. The only people who are trained on fight night will be the people who fuck up their cut and rehydration, same as now.

TLDR: There is not going to be some great revolution in the weight classes.

Weight cutting is here to stay.

It's not about the cause, it's about the consequences.

There is a significant contingent that seems to think that the purpose of the IV ban has something to do with weight cutting.

This is wrong. It is not about weight, but to prevent blood doping and masking PEDs, per USADA protocols:
http://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibit...g-iv-infusions-for-re-hydration-and-recovery/

The other thing to take away is that oral hydration, done properly, is just as effective as using an IV. The only people who are trained on fight night will be the people who fuck up their cut and rehydration, same as now.

haha

and on the fight companion they said that oral hydration wasnt as effective on extreme weight cuts, and thats what ufc fighters do

and actually i couldnt care less since it seems to be easy to bypass the iv ban

Good thread TS. Good info.

I think the vast majority know why there doing there doing the iv ban.But it still seems stupid to me.They dont test for recreational drugs more then 3 days either side of a fight i believe.

So your doing random out of competition testing all year round.Dont test for plasticides within 6 days of a fight so they can use iv`s.Test for it outside of fight night.

Half of Sherdog thinks it's against weight cutting.

I think the vast majority know why there doing there doing the iv ban.But it still seems stupid to me.They dont test for recreational drugs more then 3 days either side of a fight i believe.

So your doing random out of competition testing all year round.Dont test for plasticides within 6 days of a fight so they can use iv`s.Test for it outside of fight night.

IV ban is against PEDs, PEDs are banned out of competition.

What is your argument? That PEDs are fine out of competition?

If fighters lack the confidence to fight closer to their real size I don't care if their health suffers.

False.

The argument is let them use an iv and test for blood doping the other 300 + days of a year

Again, it is about masking. Using am IV on the eve of a fight can throw off fight night testing.

Which, as I understand it, is why WADA no likey.

I know the reason it was put in place but I really hope it stops the extreme cutting

Do people honestly believe the Conor we seen against Mendes was the best version of himself? He was soo drained he almost looked like a crackhead on a binge out there, guys need to stop it already and move up to where they can function normally

If fighters lack the confidence to fight closer to their real size I don't care if their health suffers.

I agree. Some fighters cut too damn much and it's stupid and is killing them.

Yes. The UFC and Commissions don't give a shit what weight you cut to so long as you don't miss weight. This is 100% about drug masking. But it will have some negative effects on fighter performance so expect more of this:

mn2elh.gif

I still don't understand how they will enforce this ban. Like Jose Aldo said, they aren't going to follow him to his hotel room. Or if he goes to a hospital severely dehydrated, they will give an IV.

Its impossible to reinforce.

Is the dude in charge gonna spend 24hrs visiting 28 fighters hotel rooms to make sure they aren't using an IV?

No.

Back