Attention Judokas: Need Your Analysis of Ronda's Latest Trip

George Jetson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In Ronda's latest fight, please freeze frame the fight when the clock reads 4:40 seconds (when Ronda is clinched with Betch).

At this point in time, Ronda clearly lowers her body and wraps her left leg behind Betch's right calf (setting up a classic trip).

But she appears to change her mind cuz instead of thrusting her body forward and falling on top of Betch, Ronda pulls her head away from Betch (and pushes Betch away from her) which leads to Betch being tripped but without Ronda falling on top of her in a classic Judo trip.

Can any Judokas comment on that sequence?

It really looks like Ronda changed her mind and decided to keep it standing, but Betch got tripped anyway.

Or was there some other reason (e.g. danger, etc) why Ronda had to pull away from Betch instead of thrusting forward and landing on top of her?

I think she decided after realizing she was actually balanced to far back to land on top, so she adjusted to put Bethe off balance and step in for a strike as Bethe got back to her feet.

She changed her mind because she wanted a knockout /thread

She said it in the post fight interview that her original plan was to overwhelm Bethe with strikes and force her to clinch, but when the clinch happened she decided to go with more dirty boxing on the spot because she was having success.

Off topic but heres some beautiful Judo.

More here.

Last edited:
Those look really fishy... like Rousey's open workout.

It's form practice dawg. It's not sparring.

As for the throw it looked like a Ko Soto Gari. I could be totally wrong but that's what I remember seeing.

As a (very) green Judoka, it looked like she changed her mind about taking Bethe to the ground just to prove a point about who truly was the better striker.

It's been a LONG time since I was a Judoka, but to me looks like she starts going in for the side drop throw "Yoko Otoshi," as she clearly steps in and starts to commit, then transitions into Ko Soto Gake (which doesn't require her to be in as deep) but already has Bethe off balance.

When done perfectly, Ko Soto Gake results in the thrower going down to one knee, while holding Uke's arm, who has been swept. Instead of going to the ground with her, Ronda chooses to shove Correia away, which still completes the technique.

Bear in mind that you rarely see any Judo technique executed perfectly in a tournament, due to scrambling on both sides. Further, classical Judo throws have to be modified for MMA, as grip fighting is very different w/o a gi.

Last edited:
She tripped her I think because the clinch got pretty chaotic and she just kind of reverted to something she had done forever in the moment, but didn't actually want to go to the ground so she righted herself

l41m3v1ZipCrJbjna.gif

l41m3v1ZipCrJbjna.gif

3oEdv74FzHO3LUIZcA.gif

Last edited:
Not a judoka but I thought Ronda said she changed her mind. Can't remember what interview she said it in but I think it was the one with Megan.

My phone was lagging bad in those GIF's, which made it super low moving GIF's. And i was able to pick the technique, where the hand placements and leg placement where and shifting weight to execute that throw. Its Facken amazing!

Nunes, Holms and Cyborg are definitely in trouble in the clinch, just like Julia Budd was.

As said right after the fight. Ronda could have gone to the ground easily. Passed up opportunities to initiate a throw earlier, then didn't capitalize on taking Bethe to the ground.

Right after the fight it seemed to many of us that have competed that she wanted to keep it standing. Ronda could have easily made it a ground fight.

It's been a LONG time since I was a Judoka, but to me looks like she starts going in for the side drop throw "Yoko Otoshi," as she clearly steps in and starts to commit, then transitions into Ko Soto Gake (which doesn't require her to be in as deep) but already has Bethe off balance.

When done perfectly, Ko Soto Gake results in the thrower going down to one knee, while holding Uke's arm, who has been swept. Instead of going to the ground with her, Ronda chooses to shove Correia away, which still completes the technique.

Bear in mind that you rarely see any Judo technique executed perfectly in a tournament, due to scrambling on both sides. Further, classical Judo throws have to be modified for MMA, as grip fighting is very different w/o a gi.

Posts like this make it all worth it.

Awesome analysis.

Thank you for that.

Ronda seems to constantly probe for varying attacks,high and low,trips and clinches and punches,feeling her opponent out. She felt like the strikes were scoring good for her and thusly she kept the pressure on

nice.

Back