Attention Catch Wrestlers...

You reminded me of the commercial ImaginAsian put on now. Bloody shame they didn't do better, I guess the people watching that channel are just anime-obsessed Asianophiles rather than people really interested in Asian culture.:icon_cry2

How do you know Pancrase didn't do well? Did you see the ratings or something? They advertised for it quite a bit anyway.

There was a problem in how they edited fights though--they took out some of the most thrilling transitions and moments, I think.

How do you know Pancrase didn't do well? Did you see the ratings or something? They advertised for it quite a bit anyway.

There was a problem in how they edited fights though--they took out some of the most thrilling transitions and moments, I think.

IATV's message board had a talkback for it (they also had a web video to watch episodes). They flat out said ratings were below expectations, which surprised me a bit, and annoyed me at the prospect of fat anime nerds ignoring MMA.

It's real people fighting! I think that's a bit more relevant than some idiot orange haired kid with an oversized sword!

Oooohhh, okaaayy!! LOL, I get it now...

You fellas are all bummed out about what your contemporary 'ace' in catch fighter Barnett said about catch vs judo...

Don't worry fellas..we won't hold it against you.:D

You guys ar ok:) Maybe a bit better than ok.

I'm just mad more people with ImaginAsian TV aren't watching Pancrase. :mad:

On ExpressVu?

Or on their website, where it's free. Apparently real fights don't appeal to Asianophiles, not when there's animated guys with big swords to watch!

I think if I was going to say anything was a true descendant of old time catch, Pancrase ranks pretty high up there.

I see. But couldn't that be more of a personal style difference more then anything? Perhaps that was Gotch's own personal style rubbing off more then any difference in techniques? I dunno. I have heard people comment on which they thought was more effective. What do you think?

I can't really judge, just because the Pancrase guys were actually doing shoots and the UWFi guys that did eventually start doing shoots transitioned into them at a later point than their Pancrase counterparts. Tamura and Sakuraba were obviously really, really good but it seems like Pancrase had a greater number of guys you'd consider great; by far, really.

Then again, it only makes sense because Pancrase was based on shoots, not works, as the UWFi was. And people still seek out the UWFi Snake Pit for training in grappling and MMA and apparently it does them good, looking at Inoue, Fuji and the Abe brothers.

Hi, I just wanted to see who else on this board wrestles catch-as-catch-can style, I think we are a rare breed and there aren't too many of us around.
If you do catch wrestle let me know where you are from. If you don't catch wrestle let me know what you think of it or what you know of it (good or bad).
I'm curious because it seems to have some kind of stigma attached to it.
I live and train in Chicago.

i am not a catch wrestler; but i actually worked out w/two guys who trained overseas, an one guy..actually an older gentleman who had been doing it for about 30 years.

big fan of the art and really think it is not given its due in the grappling world or mma arena; great tech, and incredible application/execution w/in the context of things.

where in chicago might i find a catch as catch can school? because im sure i won't be able to find a place in Rockford

I want Kforcer to write a big freaking book on catch. I'd buy it, ask him to autograph it for me, and then ask him to tell me bedtime catch stories before I go to bed every night.:icon_lol:

I've watched and have 3 or 4 different Catch Wrestling instructional DVD's. In my opinion Tony C's LAOH DVD's are good for beginners looking to learn the basics of Catch submissions. The downfall of the DVD's is that they dont cover any type of takedowns or very much in the way of transitions. With that in mind, I think they are not bad at all.
his instructional is simply based on the hooking aspect of catch not the takedown game.
not all catch wrestlers specialized on submissions. alot of matches i believe were probably won by pin

I don't like to limit myself to any 1 style,

I train jits, but I have trained in everything from
sambo, greco-roman/free style wrestling, judo, even sumo and catchW.

my main is jits, but if I face a guy who is better than me in jits, he is gonna be facing some surprises.
different principals, concepts and techniques!

i love catch wrestling. i try to teach my self some techniques, but i wish there was a school around i could train at.

Yup kind of smooth for a 230lbs guy ;-)

You know what 'heavy' mean when you have Kris on top of you!

We practice 'riding' a lot, that open a lots of stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back