Attention Catch Wrestlers...

What's the differince in American carnival style and English style hooking?

Something that always confused me. Guys like Farmer Burns and Billy Wicks touting there 100 % American style and all that. Didn't the American style develop from pretty much all different kinds of wrestling styles from all over the world?

Karl Gotch got his initiation into submissions from the a British gym, Wigan's Snake Pit, by his own admission. A lot of the Japanese pro-wrestlers trained at the Snake Pit's spiritual son, the Aspull Wrestling Club with guys like Roy Wood, etc. So, guys touting Karl Gotch--as many love to--can't claim to tout a "100% American" style, except in as much as the United States is a melting pot and all that.

Karl Gotch got his initiation into submissions from the a British gym, Wigan's Snake Pit, by his own admission. A lot of the Japanese pro-wrestlers trained at the Snake Pit's spiritual son, the Aspull Wrestling Club with guys like Roy Wood, etc. So, guys touting Karl Gotch--as many love to--can't claim to tout a "100% American" style, except in as much as the United States is a melting pot and all that.

Sounds about what I heard. If I remember right, Robinson trained at the snake pit for 7-8 years and Gotch trained there for about 5. I believe Gotch was already a wrestling legend by then. Robinson also said that he got his job training the wrestlers in Japan after Gotch recommended him for the job. This is only from what I remember Robinson saying on his DVD.

Yea I get that. But is there realy a noticable difference? As to say, if I got on the mat with someone trained strictly in the English style and then after that someone trained only in the American style... what would be the difference I would see?

No, I don't train with Tony C. I would if I knew where he trained out of. I like wrestling and would train a few more days a week if I could find a place.
I like BJJ, it's very smooth. I am not a smooth guy though. That's why I like catch. I like the "physicality" of it. It's a little more my style.
Plus it's kinda cool to train in something other than BJJ. EVERYBODY takes BJJ. I would like to roll with some BJJ players or SAMBO practitioners.
I think I will enter a tourney later in the year to test my skills.

Where can I see some catch wrestling vids other than old school pancrease/UWFi/worked shoots etc. other than paying for em?

I've done Shooto for 11 years now. It's Muay Thai, BJJ, Sambo, Catch wrestling. Shooto was MMA before MMA existed.

Catch and Sambo are much more aggressive IMO. Because in Shooto matches, you are given limited time if there is no activity on the ground. They immediately stand you up. And as soon as you have a "catch", you have 60 seconds to submit the fighter.

When i roll with BJJ practitioners, they quickly find out that you cannot give me any part of the leg or foot.

It's great to see more individuals here that study catch!

Yori Nakamura is one of my instructors. He brought Shooto here to the United States.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PxYRc8VDgoA

sooo how many catch wrestling schools are they?

and why the name catch sounds so cool when mixed with wrestling

No, I don't train with Tony C. I would if I knew where he trained out of. I like wrestling and would train a few more days a week if I could find a place.
I like BJJ, it's very smooth. I am not a smooth guy though. That's why I like catch. I like the "physicality" of it. It's a little more my style.
Plus it's kinda cool to train in something other than BJJ. EVERYBODY takes BJJ. I would like to roll with some BJJ players or SAMBO practitioners.

PhillyD45 where do you train?

I'm just curious but are there any Catch competitions and how many legit Catch gyms are there out there?

Sorry if this is a dead horse beating.

tony c has a gym out in addision.http://www.catchwrestle.com. there is a wrestling club in the Quad's gym up on the north side. http://www.wrestlechicago.com/

Where can I find this book? All I see on that page is the preface and the table of contents.

Nevermind. I got it. This is good stuff. It is very similar to the Farmer Burns manual.

there are quite a few places in the northwest teaching catch wrestling, due to the influence of matt hume and i train under one of his students.

*raises hand*

I went from a submission wrestling background and started doing BJJ. One thing I noticed is BJJ guys don't really scramble to their feet for position as much and do the whole knee fighting thing. Do they do this to focus more on technique or what?

Yea I get that. But is there realy a noticable difference? As to say, if I got on the mat with someone trained strictly in the English style and then after that someone trained only in the American style... what would be the difference I would see?

Well, originally, I would have had an easy answer based on the UWFi Snake Pit products as opposed to the UWF/PWFG products. Billy Robinson, a British catch-wrestler, ran the UWF Snake Pit, where the likes of Sakuraba, Tamura, Kanehara and Takada trained at one point and where the Abe Ani Combat Club people sometimes train as well as Manabu Inoue and of course, Barnett.

However, although I was one of the people who might have helped popularize the "Robinson taught the UWFi guys including Sakuraba catch" perception, I think that Lou Thesz, amongst others, was way more involved than given credited for. Watch his matches; as I said earlier in the thread, he's the one, more than Robinson or Gotch, that has stylistic similarities to the UWFi guys. And Takada WAS trained by him, and Takada was the face of the UWFi. So it only makes sense that he would have impacted guys like Takada's good friend Sakuraba and the other UWFi'ers, if any old-school catch guy did.

There's a general stylistic distinction to be made between the UWFi-Kingdom guys and the early Pancrase guys, absolutely. The UWFi'ers generally make great use of the rolling DWL/kimura and of standing to upper-body submission transitions and traditional wrestling takedowns over the standing to leg-attack transition emphasis in many early Pancrase guys and generally, a slightly more conservative style amongst other things.

was it cecchine or furry that lou thez shitted on ?

Thesz didn't shit on either. In fact, he thought Cecchine had good material and even advised him a bit. Karl Gotch once had a good relationship with Matt Furey, then decided he sucked and that Cecchine sucked as well. Gotch thought a lot of people sucked. Rickson Gracie included.

Back