Attacks from guard with head and arm?

akdms

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I frequently get head and arm control in closed guard. In no gi I can sometimes hip out and start attacking the trapped arm, but in gi I find myself pretty much stuck. Are there any reliable attacks from here or is it pretty much a stalling position?

I don't see how it would be different in a gi. What prevents you from using the same attacks?

You can work the straight armbar omoplata combo. This is my favoriet attack from that position, with or without the gi.

if you can get under the arm, you can hip out and work for and armtriangle, which I think is quite difficult to finish from guard, but it does aid in taking the back.

Those are probably the 2 most basic things to do. Or wait for him to posture up and use it to sweep

or u can get the arm triangle position and try to use it as a sweep or you can use the meethook to triangle..

duck under, armbar from bottom, sweep and roll on top of him are my favourites. Just dont sit in a closed guard the whole time, closed guard to square up and get initial hip control then you can work the butterfly for transitioninig.

Not sure how experienced you are, but common noob thing to do is sit in a closed guard the whole time and expect action.

I don't see how it would be different in a gi. What prevents you from using the same attacks?

A combination of friction and my opponent grabbing my pant leg when they feel me start to hip escape.

I like the straight armbar/omoplata, as well as the collar choke (w/a deep lapel grip on the overhook and using some bunched shoulder material for the other grip) which sets up a triangle nicely if they raise their free arm up to defend the choke. The deep lapel grip with the overhook makes keeping their posture easier.

Back