Attacking body/shoulder roll

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shs101, Aug 23, 2015.

1. shs101

shs101 Blue Belt

The philly shell / crab / mayweather defense (whatever you want to call the position) is designed also for the one arm to naturally protect the body..... My question is how do you attack the body successfully against someone that is in that posture? I don't think I've seen this question ever on here and I'm personally curious.

2. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Within the confines of boxing?

Well, first of all, most people suck at it. So there's that.

Second of all, the rest of people suck at it also, minus a very select few. So that.

Third, those same people will and do get creamed when they try that style unless they are very talented and experienced, AND properly taught by someone who knows the whole thing inside out (very few of those are alive today). The only other way they can do okay with it is if the guy they're sparring/fighting is MUCH worse than them overall (and then, any silly pose would work with that disparity)

Fourth, to actually answer your question, you can jab the **** out of their leading/defending shoulder muscle. It will slow down their jab and general speed/power of their left arm. Just be ready for their right/rear hand and angle and move a little bit away from their rear side, so they are slightly even more bladed to you than they want to be when you attack.

There's more ways, but they all involve doing mind games with them. Anytime you can make them think you are doing something else than what you are actually doing, you have them. That type of defense relies heavily on them just being better than you overall and out-thinking/maneuvering/guessing you, which if they can do that, then you're screwed even if they weren't doing that "style"

3. FollowTheReap3r

FollowTheReap3r Blue Belt

Are there any good boxing dvd's out there?

4. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

^On the crab style, no.

Couple of things to remember when posing this question. Good practitioners of the Crab do not stand still. They'll make little turns or elevation changes to deflect shots. They don't just stick their arm/shoulder towards you and hope for the best. The other thing is they're typically very adept at making body-shots LOOK useless. Marquez and Canelo both landed plenty to the body on Floyd, not that anyone either saw it or gave a fuck.

5. Reyesnuthugr

I really like Jeff Mayweather's series. It's on DVD but it's also for free on youtube (the whole thing). Look for that.

Kenny Weldon is also great, and a lot of his stuff is on Youtube. Just look it up and start watching. If you like it, you can buy his dvds.

__(^^those are my 2 recommendations, I'd start with those)___

Forget Don Familton (go ahead and look, if you really want). He's just spends a lot of time talking (not very specifically) and is not that instructive.

JTvanV is pretty good at explaining things. He has a channel on youtube (I don't think he does dvds, but he's got a lot of info). He's a pretty good teacher. I don't like how incredibly stiff he is at times, though, so don't copy him on that.

If you really really want a DVD set I don't know of any great ones. Freddy Roach's seem ok (clips of them are on youtube). I've heard good things about Chris Getz (but his cost $200), but I can't substantiate them

Stay away from John Brown. He's the owner of Ringside, and his DVD's are too expensive for very little info. You'd be better off spending those dollars on personal instruction, even if it only gets you a lesson or two (actually that's true for most dvds/online instruction)

-------

EDIT - none of these teach the crab/shell style. Just boxing fundamentals

6. Larsh

Larsh White Belt

Kenny Weldon's instructional series is the best by far.

7. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

This. Instead of hitting the the guys shoulder, drive hooks into his glove guarding his guts

8. Reyesnuthugr

Good practitioners of the crab are few and far between. If you're good and you see someone switch to crab style, they've just given you a gift, imo.

Even in the pros, unless it's one of 2-3 notable people doing it, someone switching to crab usually involves them getting hit a lot more (and landing a lot less). The know-how of executing the crab is all but lost.

-----

[​IMG]

Related to sword fighting, it would be the equivalent to the style of the guy on the left. Requires excellent estimation of timing and distance, smooth and efficient mechanics and precise movement for it to work. It is an unorthodox style utilizing deceit. Most people would not be good at it, and it uses this to its advantage.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. Sinister

^It's not that fargone, Floyd Sr. is still able to teach, and Floyd Jr. has done a little himself. Plus it's still pretty prevalent in Michigan. A lot of fighters up there just are taught the very rudimentary basics, but it's still visible. What you see in other places too much are guys who THINK they know it or can figure it out, but don't and can't.

10. shs101

shs101 Blue Belt

What do you mean by think the know it? What makes it good to bad? Isn't it just basic blocks And attention to where your weight is?

11. Noodles03

Noodles03 Green Belt

Just curious, did Joe Frazier used the crab style defense?

12. Sinister