Atleast 5 of my coworkers think Bellator is the UFC

Buddy of mine at the job was like "going to the UFC fights in Vegas this weekend"

There wasn't a UFC event in Vegas that weekend...

Are you sure your co-workers are not confusing UFC for the generic name for MMA?

Like how all kleenex are tissues but not all tissues are kleenex.

And alot of our parents think UFC is professional wrestling.

I think it's still pretty common for casual fans to think that MMA is called UFC. The UFC was the only really visible promotion in America for a long time and is still pretty much the only that will be reported on by major sports media.

When I went to Bellator events in the past there were fans behind me that thought it was an official minor league to the UFC.

I even took some fans that watch maybe 3-5 fights a year (the BIG guys) to Strikeforce : Fedor vs. Rogers and they still refer to it as a UFC event they went to.

I RARELY hear non-fans refer to MMA as "MMA". Mostly it's "Ultimate Fighting" or "UFC". I hear people mistake it more for professional wrestling than call it MMA.

how can you confuse mma for pro wrestling?

humans can't decifer when someone is getting beat up for real? pretty easy to tell by body mannerisms

lots of people just say UFC when they mean MMA. It's like when people use xerox to mean photocopier.

Yeah, they get them mixed up constantly. That's part of Bellator's plan though.

my cousin moved to texas. he said that when they order a soda down there, they ask for "a coke," even if they want a Dr. Pepper or root beer. the worker will then ask "what kind?" The UFC is indeed the Coca Cola of MMA.

Yea I was watching the bellator ppv at my house and my brother was like "you know they're coming out with a video game, right?"

My coworker thinks Bellator has been around for 30 years and predates the UFC.

Sounds about right. The average person doesn't even know what MMA is. But if I specify "UFC", most (not all) seem to understand.

I have a lady friend who calls it 'UMA', a mixture of UFC and MMA

The PPV mixup aint that bad, but I think they are gonna be pretty darn annoyed when they realise they been training Bellator and not UFC all this time too.

That's good for Bellator. If people think it's UFC they'll watch.

Back