Athletic Lifting 101: For all Martial Artists

Madmick said:
Am I the only striker in here?

Bench press= harder punches.

Yes, it does, hips & legs ain't everything.
Deadlift = harder punches moreso than bench. Guaranteed.

Mojorisin99 said:
So what excercises do you guys recommend for doing bicep work? As far as something that can be done at your standard gym.

bump

You should know as well as anyone that your punches are often only as strong as your weakest link. For most people, this is your lower back. In addition striking power is developed from the ground up and deadlifts will work your legs and core like nothing else. On heavy deads, you'll find your whole body, ever part that is critical to strikes (your hands, your lower back, your abs, your legs, your upper back, your traps) straining to pull the weight up. You'll put your body under more load and more stress and learn to channel more strength by doing so.

Pavel tsatsouline recognizes the potential for developing lb for lb strength through irradiation (the cocontraction of muscles that are not involved in the movement being performed) which is why he reccomends deadlifts as the one exercise everyone should do. If you combine this with bruce lee's notion that on impact of a punch the whole body should be tense it makes sense to say that deadlifts train you to make use of your strength in that fashion.

The more I deadlift, the harder I punch, it's been that simple for me. My hands and fists feel more solid on the bag, my leg drive into the strikes is better, and I can really feel more powerful on the back. Deads build strength from the ground up (and not just cause that's how you're moving the weight). I'm not saying bench press isn't important, but to say it = punching power is horse shit. Deads and squats will increase your striking power more than anything else. You figure about 80 percent of your power comes from your legs, it would make sense to train them to capitalize on that and to train your core and lower back to keep from losing that power.

i find that no lift makes u a better puncher, its just the general strength gains translated onto the punch bag that make u a better puncher ie learning to punch with this new force or stability

Sean S said:
You know, I was thinking about that this morning. If I am thinking the same one you are, then it's more like an incline press or front over head pressing motion rather then a flat bench motion seeing as at some point you have to push the person away rather then straight up.

Yeah, benich doesn't translate exactly into the movement but it helps.

It also depends on which escape your doing.

-Are you escaping side mount and putting the opponent into your guard?

- Are you pressing them off with explosively to make enough space for you to stand up?

- Are you making enough space to breakdance into and single leg on them?

Them all require different types of presses.

I mix up my chest work out. The funny thing is I've found that jump push-ups have made the biggest difference in my excape.

Eric O said:
Yeah, benich doesn't translate exactly into the movement but it helps.

It also depends on which escape your doing.

-Are you escaping side mount and putting the opponent into your guard?

- Are you pressing them off with explosively to make enough space for you to stand up?

- Are you making enough space to breakdance into and single leg on them?

Them all require different types of presses.

I mix up my chest work out. The funny thing is I've found that jump push-ups have made the biggest difference in my excape.

Now that is interesting.

MarlboroMan said:
are lifts like power cleans and power snatches good for punching power?

I'd say moreso than bench pressing to be honest. The more explosiveness you need to use for a lift, the more your body will recruit its fast-twitch muscle fibers for activities. This leads to faster and harder punches. Also, the better balance you have, the better you can transfer your energy into a strike.

Don't believe me on the balance thing? Go to a bag. Hit it with the hardest 1-2 combo you have. Pretty hard, right? Now put a basketball under each foot, and throw that same 1-2 combo. Granted, even if you can stay balanced on 2 basketballs, your punch is not going to be as hard as it would be if you were grounded. Lifts that increase your balance, explosiveness, and coordination are the best ones for sports; martial arts included.

Bench Press increases over all strength in the upper body. This is vital for good pefromance in Grappling and MMA.

Muscular Balance is actually developing the concentric and eccentric muscles for movement, it is not having one arm as strong as the other ( parity ). If the bench press is the eccentric motion, then for balance you would do a t-bar row or a seated row.

Urban or somebody with more knowldege on the subject, please correct any errors I might have made. After all, I ain't no expert, just a fighter.

See, I think some of you misunderstand me a little bit. I'm not ragging on the bench press. It's definitely a great exercise. What I'm saying is that there are lifts out there that I think athletes should be doing that are more complex and difficult than the bench press, which will help develop athleticism.

The two dumbbells on a Swiss ball is meant as a supplement to bench pressing. I didn't mean that you should ALWAYS do it instead of bench pressing.

STOMP, here's a video of what an Upright Neider Press looks like. http://www.rossboxing.com/samplevideoclip.htm

Iceman5592 said:
STOMP, here's a video of what an Upright Neider Press looks like. http://www.rossboxing.com/samplevideoclip.htm

That looks cool, think I would get a few weird looks in the gym tho! has anyone seen v silva training in some highlight video were he is doing punching motions with a wieghted a cabale and kneeing motions with a weighted strap around his knee! looks like the same sort of thing

Hello Yomon,

I've been busy with my new job.

In the end it all depends on what an athlete needs. And what they have available.

Some things to consider

1. Training economy. You can only do so much, train muay thai, BJJ, etc, that all adds up. You may not have time to perform a million exercises

2. Needs, Do you need to get stronger, then you should be benching heavy weights, need more speed then DE work, plyos and medball throws are good. Need balance, then do some cleans on a swiss ball

3. You can;t get strong, fast, endurance, add 20lbs of muscle, lose 50lbs of fat at the same time. pick one goal, use short training cycles, and attack the goal. re-evaluate your needs and create your next cycle

Does anybody know if Ross is using his shoulder muscles or focusing more on the lats when doing the Neider press? I think you could potentially slow your punch down, if you use too much shoulder. I know Ross knows his shit, I'm just wondering out loud....

Back