Athletecism again

Question: Can you still be a top ten fighter without being a great athlete?
I know people here like to say that mma fighter aren't A-level athlete but we al know that they are certainly much (to say the least) athletic than the average guy.
I know that the growth of rugby brought the sport from being a tough sport but played by all sorts of guys to being a sport played by bloody freaks. Some say the sport has lost in spectacularity while other like it. I just think it's lost diversity in it's growth.
I ask myself if mma is the same. If fighters like lidel, forrest o the nogueira brothers could still be top fighters (not saying they are/were couch potatoes)?
I accept and even like the growth of the sport but i kind of lost some of its romaniticism
imo...NO. At least less and less likely as time passes. Too many Great Athletes TRAINING AS HARD AS sorry ass athletes. Kenny Florian is an example. Very smart,Disciplined Fighter. Hard working. Ordinary White Man Genes. Sorry Kenny. Kudo's to you for doing as well as you did even though illegal elbow strikes to the top of the head REALLY helped your career. I enjoy your Commentating. Intelligent Ideas(EVEN IF OTHERS). As a fighter You had NO real talent or ability. Great Heart,Gameplans followed, skill, NO ATHLETIC ABILITY THOUGH..

Roy Nelson comes to mind.
Roy is kinda gifted as an athlete genetically, imo.. but HE HAS NO DISCIPLINE AND SHOULD BE FIGHTING AT 205 BUT HE IS STUPID, STUBBORN. No discipline Limits him greatly. I saw him beat FrankMir and then Diego Sanchez at a grapplers quest YEARS ago.. Roy was so fat and out of shape I LOL at him...UNTIL the fight started. He is a natural Gifted fighter who imo wasted his talent BY BEING A LAZY FAT ASS... Trust me I know LAZY FAT ASS AS I AM ONE.

Depends on what you mean by athleticism. Nate doesn't look like much but he does triathlons which is pretty athletic to me. Weidman might be slow but is pretty strong and can probably do a lot of shit that I'd consider athletic.
I mean they're not natural athletes. Those guys work really hard to gain physical attributes like strength and cardio. There are some guys that can do shit that most people could never do, no matter how much they train, like crazy reflexes, dexterity, amazing coordination and explosive movement.

Depends on what you mean by athleticism. Nate doesn't look like much but he does triathlons which is pretty athletic to me. Weidman might be slow but is pretty strong and can probably do a lot of shit that I'd consider athletic.
Endurance athlete is Nate's category I believe.

MVP really turned down the ufc? Anyway MVP is the best natural athlete I have ever seen watching MMA for 15 years. Everybody on the Mcgregor bandwagon including me for a bit-LOL-
Mcgregor isn't one tenth the athlete MVP is. MVP has better boxing/ movement /speed and reach and all the exciting kicks and knees. MVP also has great armbars and kneebars and chokes and great off his back, basically MVP is everything Mcgregor pretends to be.
If MVP was to come to the UFC he could be amazing, would love to see him fight against Woodley can you imagine Woodley charging in and MVP answer to the pressure. EPIC. And please don't even bother saying Mcgregor as he has nothing for MVP . MVP has 10 x more fighting abillity and would make Mcgregor look like a clown . Lol Mcgregor doesn't even move his head lol he is a clown.
I would pay 400 usd to see Nate vs MVP.
Come on Dana offer MVP 20 million or something he is the real excitement.
Hell I may even stop watching the UFC snd just watch Belator as I think MVP is much more exciting to watch. Yeah i could be wrong and MVP could be madeto look a clown aagainst his first top ufc opponent. But I suspect not as he has smarts again unlike Mcgregor who is stupid fighter relying on one thing his left.
Easy guy, his top win is cyborg. Has some more to prove.

It takes a certain kind of person to fight, that's why it's hard to make comparisons. Fighting is a whole other dimension compared to basketball and football.

I mean they're not natural athletes. Those guys work really hard to gain physical attributes like strength and cardio. There are some guys that can do shit that most people could never do, no matter how much they train, like crazy reflexes, dexterity, amazing coordination and explosive movement.
2kfr24qrsa2xba0z15gdq6ltw.jpg

yeah...true! I'm Just maybe getting carried away with this crossfit phisique bullshit that come to mind looking at lower weightclass guys
I hear you. The word athleticism is a hornets' nest anyhow.

BJ Penn for example had that X-factor athleticism and holds great accomplishment in both MMA and grappling, but dude was lazy AF, in no way ever "looked” like an athlete and lived by the coattails of raw talent more than any mantra of "hard work breeds champions".

So, he was gifted athletically but not an athlete, or what... My other post was about how it seems shortsighted to put Maia, Penn and the like with guys like Hunt or Holloway.

We also have guys like Venom Page. That bloke is someone I would call a great athlete; if I tried to move like him, I would be in the ER afterwards, haha.

Being a born fighter is more important then anything else. You can learn up to an extent no matter your athletic ability.

Roy Nelson is still ranked at 10, although I feel like HW is one of those divisions that leans towards athleticism being not as important.

Being a born fighter is more important then anything else. You can learn up to an extent no matter your athletic ability.
So it's all a balance between:
-technique
-phisique
-fighting mentality

i believe it's obvious that one needs all three but i also think that the phisical part is getting more important and maybe we lose some other things.

Shocking ......the average guy is less athletic than a pro athlete....who would have thought. Every fighter on UFC 1 is more athletic than the average person by a lot and if Sherdoggers were under the impression that any of those guys are just like them then they are pretty naive

Shocking ......the average guy is less athletic than a pro athlete....who would have thought. Every fighter on UFC 1 is more athletic than the average person by a lot and if Sherdoggers were under the impression that any of those guys are just like them then they are pretty naive
that is what i am actually stating. People keep say that these gys aren't athletes. I think they obviously are and will become more so as time goes on

Well Barbarena destroyed two amazing athletes in his last 2 fights thanks to his grit and his fighting spirit. Athleticism is one thing, being a fighter a whole another.

35 year old NFL player gets KTFO in 50 seconds in MMA and tests positive for supplements after fight. A level athlete gets KTFO by D- athlete to steal sherdogs obsession with athletes! And before you say age and wear and tear on body I counter with Yoel Romero is still up there in the MW division. And this might have been at LHW.

that is what i am actually stating. People keep say that these gys aren't athletes. I think they obviously are and will become more so as time goes on

Most people here have just never done any sports.

Even in your local sport clubs you will find some people who are just much more athletic than the average person. Every person who trains seriously is just much more athletic than the average joe people who don't do any sports are just not even close to people who do it seriously especially if they've been doing it from a young age on.

And even in some local sports clubs you will find at least one or the other guy who is on top of that naturally a really good athlete.
Even early MMA fighters in the UFC were great athletes compared to some average person who runs once a week or goes to Planet Fitness to not get too fat.

And guys like Woodley are good athletes by any standard or even Lawler is beyond what most Sherdoggers could be with any training in the world

Calling Tim Sylvia a poor athlete is paying that knock-kneed sluggard a compliment.

DC isn't a great athlete? Dude was an Olympian, JC.
DC is a great athlete but he doesn't look athletic.

Back