Athletecism again

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JC ATOM, Aug 2, 2016.

1. JC ATOM

JC ATOM My Brain Hurts

Question: Can you still be a top ten fighter without being a great athlete?
    I know people here like to say that mma fighter aren't A-level athlete but we al know that they are certainly much (to say the least) athletic than the average guy.
    I know that the growth of rugby brought the sport from being a tough sport but played by all sorts of guys to being a sport played by bloody freaks. Some say the sport has lost in spectacularity while other like it. I just think it's lost diversity in it's growth.
    I ask myself if mma is the same. If fighters like lidel, forrest o the nogueira brothers could still be top fighters (not saying they are/were couch potatoes)?
    I accept and even like the growth of the sport but i kind of lost some of its romaniticism

The guest likes this.
  2. The guest

The guest Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Athletecism... romanticism...

You love the isms... don't ya ?

I got one for you... Circumcisionism.

No... you have to be an athlete to be top ten these days.

The days of Joe Blow from Kokomo being able to knock out other palookas is long gone. Well... There is Huntoism.

3. The guest

The guest Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Fuck that... this is SD, bro...

There is no such thing as going too far ;)

Jkaylor likes this.
  4. Answer: There are still top ten fighters that aren't great athletes.

5. No Mas McGee

No Mas McGee Banned Banned

6. koplin9

koplin9 Yellow Belt

7. nostradumbass

nostradumbass Gold Belt

Forest was a good athlete. Didn't he win most of the athletic challenges on TUF and then dunked on Rampage when they were coaching? Anyway, Carway isn't a great athlete, I don't think Holloway is either, nor is Nate, Maia and Gastelum aren't very athletic guys, Glover, Werdum, Bisping, Weidman is strong and tough but he's the slowest guy in the division, DHC. None of these guys could ever play any other sport.

biscuitsbrah, fedja and freakyfarley like this.
  8. JC ATOM

JC ATOM My Brain Hurts

you are angering me with your sherdogism! ;)

Sano and The guest like this.
  9. Valhoven

Valhoven Against All Odds Staff Member Senior Moderator

This a new grappling technique or submission? I'm seeing Paul Harris reinstated in 2017 and I'm afraid, very afraid...

The guest likes this.
  10. Drofrah

Drofrah Green Belt

More and more fighters will be physically better and more rounded which we are seeing now.

There will always be the 'fighter' kind of guy though as they aren't exactly slobs themselves

biscuitsbrah and JC ATOM like this.
  11. papasmurf999

papasmurf999 Green Belt

Roy Nelson comes to mind.

fedja and JC ATOM like this.
  12. JC ATOM

JC ATOM My Brain Hurts

Indeed he does. I was thinking of him while writing this post but i kind of feel that heavy weights are different creatures.

fedja likes this.
  13. Samdwich

Samdwich White Belt

Depends on what you mean by athleticism. Nate doesn't look like much but he does triathlons which is pretty athletic to me. Weidman might be slow but is pretty strong and can probably do a lot of shit that I'd consider athletic.

JC ATOM likes this.
  14. papasmurf999

papasmurf999 Green Belt

Well the post was about athleticism. And he was a top fighter who doesn't seem very athletic. Hw is different cause as long as you have power you can be a contender. Mark hunt now comes to mind as well. And Tim Sylvia

fedja and JC ATOM like this.
  15. JC ATOM

JC ATOM My Brain Hurts

i've also got DC at LHW come to think of it.

16. Valhoven

Agree with the names being thrown in here but for all your guys saying Maia:

I'm with you on him not being Lesnar, Ibrahimović or Marshawn Lynch calibre but his grappling credentials getting to this point aren't characteristic of someone nonathletic, or rather a "poor athlete"; they're in fact freaking awesome.

Is "a great athlete" the right term here? Demian is a great athlete, I reckon. He can be boring AF when he's playing backpack but that doesn't make him any less athletic.

Hunt by my understanding is what I think of as a "poor athlete" and more an MMA phenomenon. But here, Hunt and Maia are grouped together? That doesn't do either justice.

vodkaBearSnow, ssBaldy and JC ATOM like this.
  17. FlyingKimurabar

FlyingKimurabar Silver Belt

I'd say the diaz brothers are pretty terrible athletes. Outside of conditioning which is mostly a ton of hard work.

18. Valhoven

Calling Tim Sylvia a poor athlete is paying that knock-kneed sluggard a compliment.

DC isn't a great athlete? Dude was an Olympian, JC.

SouthSide971 likes this.
  19. JC ATOM

JC ATOM My Brain Hurts

yeah...true! I'm Just maybe getting carried away with this crossfit phisique bullshit that come to mind looking at lower weightclass guys

SouthSide971, Sano and Valhoven like this.
  20. John Kavanagh

John Kavanagh White Belt

MVP really turned down the ufc? Anyway MVP is the best natural athlete I have ever seen watching MMA for 15 years. Everybody on the Mcgregor bandwagon including me for a bit-LOL-
    Mcgregor isn't one tenth the athlete MVP is. MVP has better boxing/ movement /speed and reach and all the exciting kicks and knees. MVP also has great armbars and kneebars and chokes and great off his back, basically MVP is everything Mcgregor pretends to be.
    If MVP was to come to the UFC he could be amazing, would love to see him fight against Woodley can you imagine Woodley charging in and MVP answer to the pressure. EPIC. And please don't even bother saying Mcgregor as he has nothing for MVP . MVP has 10 x more fighting abillity and would make Mcgregor look like a clown . Lol Mcgregor doesn't even move his head lol he is a clown.
    I would pay 400 usd to see Nate vs MVP.
    Come on Dana offer MVP 20 million or something he is the real excitement.
    Hell I may even stop watching the UFC snd just watch Belator as I think MVP is much more exciting to watch. Yeah i could be wrong and MVP could be madeto look a clown aagainst his first top ufc opponent. But I suspect not as he has smarts again unlike Mcgregor who is stupid fighter relying on one thing his left.