Atama Ultra-Lite or Atama Mundial 9?? Please HELP

LidarDan15

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everybody. After doing tons of research I have finally narrowed my gi choices down to two gi's. Although the two are different, I want to see what you guys think about them. I have really been looking into getting the Atama Ultra-Lite. Here's where it gets tricky, though. If I get the Ultra-Lite I will roll in it every training session as well as use it in tournaments. The only problem is that I don't think it can take that kind of beating (every training session as well as tourney use). I really want a light gi, though. I currently have a Koral Classic gi, which I like a lot, however, it just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. I don't like the way my movement is restricted and how it gets really heavy once it gets a little moisture in it. Also, with the UL, I like the fact that it is said to be so durable as well as comfortable all while minimizing the stretching associated with other light gi's. I am also concerned that as well as training in the UL, I want to compete in it as well. This worries me because I never see UL's at ANY big tournaments (Pan Ams Worlds, Etc.). I Only see Mundials and Single/Double/Gold weaves. Just because I don't see them at tournaments, though, doesn't mean that they aren't good for tournament use right? and just because it's a lightweight gi doesn't mean it can't last through all my training sessions as well as my tournaments, too, right? I just don't know which to chose. I like the Mundial, and I wouldn't mind getting it if that's the one that will ultimately last me the longest and perform the best, but like I said, I could use an Ultralight gi and I would love for that gi to be the Ultra-Lite just as long as it can last through the torment that every gi is put through and come out like a champ. Please let me know what you guys think I should do, or what I can expect if I get the Ultra-Lite gi over the Mundial or Vice Versa. Thanks so much for your help guys!! :D

Ultralite weaves are illegal for tournaments under IBJJF rules. That may be why you don't see them at national level competitions.

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. That actually explains a lot.

... however, OTM just came out with an ultra lite type gi called the XLC, and that one *is* tournament legal. i'm not sure where the draw the line on which weaves are legal and which one's arent. the ultralite doesn't look much different than a standard pearl weave. the honeycomb weaves used in some ultralites, however, are pretty obvious.

i once had the atama ultralite and sold it because i didn't like it. i had an A2 and, really, should have been in an A1. whatever shrinkage I got from drying it was lost within seconds on the mat. the thing would stretch like taffy, it drove me nuts. it actually stretched MORE than what it shrank. some guys have good experiences with them tho, so i think if you get one that fits you well out of the bag you'll be alright.

quality wise i had no real qualms with it. soak it in vinegar before washing (even if you get the white one) cuz the red stitching in the embroidery WILL bleed. in 8 months of use it developed a couple loose stitches, but nothing that threatened to unravel or that affected the strength of the gi. i think it's strong enough to put up with the rigors of training AND competition. and it certainly was soft and light, so the comfort factor was high.

atama's ripstop pants are the most comfortable ripstops i've ever tried. very soft and flexible. not stiff and papery like some others i've encountered (syr, ouano). i believe the same pants come with both the ultralite and the mundial.

personally, i think if you're gonna go for an ultralite gi, do it for the comfort of training and don't worry about tournaments so much. use another gi for your tourny if the ultra isn't legal. you'll spend 10x more time training than you will competing.

Back