At what point do you cut off friends?

Da Boss

Pounding grooves
@Black
Reaction score
...Not for a reason like they are a douche or screwed you over .

What I mean is friends that you no longer speak with regularly, lost touch with or no longer communicate with.

Sometimes people change, move on, drift away & that's understandable but when it gets to a point where you're the only one who reaches out on holidays etc.. is it time to stop?

One thing I noticed is as I get older (30's) my circle of friends is definitely becoming smaller but the relationships become closer. I also wanted to confess that I do not Facebook. Obviously its the way most people keep in touch & stay in the loop but I'm not one of them. I have my reasons and they're all drama related so I steer clear of the website. I only keep contact with people through my phone via text or calls. Sometimes a person doesn't reciprocate. I'm not offended by it but I feel if that person cant take a moment out of their life to keep in touch after awhile I wont bother with them anymore.

So Mayberry at what point do you let go of friends you no longer speak with?

I know its hard... sometimes you just gotta face reality. My mother always told me you would be lucky if you ever met enough real friends as you had fingers on one hand.

I've lost touch with friends with whom I no longer shared common interests but I've only cut off friends that had abusive behaviors.

It just happens naturally. If you are meant to stays friends with the person you will. Not really the effort to think about it too much.

I have friends that I won't speak to for months or some case it could be a couple of years but when we find ourselves at a function together like a wedding or something we just pick up where we left off.

I don't go out of my way to keep in touch with people for the sake of keeping in touch.

When they become disloyal, dishonest, or become a burden not worth the trouble.

In your case, I wouldn't ever cut off a friend because it's like burning a bridge. What's the point? Let your non-friendly friendships take their natural course. You never know when that "ex-friend" could have a friend moment with you again.

depends on the situation, but usually if the friendship become toxic. Had to cut one of my friends out of my life recently. He is 26, didn't attempt to go to school after HS, no job, family won't talk to him, makes up fake girlfriends, etc. Can't have those kinds of people in your life.

If the friendship isn't negative or hurting you but they aren't trying to reciprocate and be a friends just let it be. If they don't attempt to contact you then chances are they weren't a close friend to begin with.

depends on the situation, but usually if the friendship become toxic. Had to cut one of my friends out of my life recently. He is 26, didn't attempt to go to school after HS, no job, family won't talk to him, makes up fake girlfriends, etc. Can't have those kinds of people in your life.

If the friendship isn't negative or hurting you but they aren't trying to reciprocate and be a friends just let it be. If they don't attempt to contact you then chances are they weren't a close friend to begin with.

damn. poor guy. sounds like he could use a friend (not necessarily you, just someone to help him out).

Ive done this b4 usually after New Years which made me wonder if others on here did as well.

i usually don't set a specific date, i just spontaneously stop talking to them. back when i was 16/17 i had some sort of nasty illness. don't even know what it was, probably salmonella based on my symptoms...anyway, it sidelined me for a little while. before that i used to hang out with some friends pretty regularly. after that, i hardly ever saw them again. i guess i just sort of felt like moving on with my life.

I know its hard... sometimes you just gotta face reality. My mother always told me you would be lucky if you ever met enough real friends as you had fingers on one hand.
Yeah man your mom is on point & I am extremely lucky to have them but unfortunately for me out of those 5 friends 4 of them moved away. 1 to Costa Rica, 1 to Myrtle Beach, 1 to Los Angeles & 1 to upstate NY. I do speak to them regularly but its not the same. Sometimes I'll see them if they come back for a visit. Sucks but I do value them dearly. I'm grateful best friend is still here in NYC.

damn. poor guy. sounds like he could use a friend (not necessarily you, just someone to help him out)

I feel bad for him till I remeber all the piece of shit things he has done.

Stole his parents check books and wrote $1000 checks to cash for himself
Bailed on his pregnant Girl Friend (still has never seen the kid till this day and the kid is probably 3ish)
Broke into his own father's auto shop to steal shit
Was known for giving X and other drugs to girls who were underage so he could sleep with him

Dude has a lot of problems

back when i was 16/17 i had some sort of nasty illness. don't even know what it was, probably salmonella based on my symptoms...anyway, it sidelined me for a little while. before that i used to hang out with some friends pretty regularly. after that, i hardly ever saw them again.
There was a time I was DJing, Bartending, promoting clubs and throwing my own events so you can imagine I had shitloads of friends. (or so I thought)
Then my longtime GF and I broke up. I cancelled a few upcoming gigs (burning some bridges) got out of the scene and went into depression for about 6 months. During that dark period I really learned who my true friends were & who was just there for the ride.

I feel bad for him till I remeber all the piece of shit things he has done.

Stole his parents check books and wrote $1000 checks to cash for himself
Bailed on his pregnant Girl Friend (still has never seen the kid till this day and the kid is probably 3ish)
Broke into his own father's auto shop to steal shit
Was known for giving X and other drugs to girls who were underage so he could sleep with him

Dude has a lot of problems

i guess that explains why he has such few friends. i guess he needs some psychiatric help too. sounds like he's got his own demons. i feel worse for the people he took advantage of.

There was a time I was DJing, Bartending, promoting clubs and throwing my own events so you can imagine I has shitloads of friends.
Then my longtime GF and I broke up. I cancelled a few upcoming gigs (burning some bridges) got out of the scene and went into depression for about 6 months. During that dark period I really learned who my true friends were & who was just there for the ride.

interesting. i don't know what it was, but it might have been something similar to what you felt. almost like a desire to break away from my old life and start anew.

Back