At what point do we start talking about Khabib as a Top 3 GOAT

blaccbeard

Dad Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Question for the people who think Khabib is on his way to GOAT status but don't quite have him in their top 3 yet.

Personally i really want to put him in my top 3 right now but i just feel like i need something more from him. I mean yeah he's 28-0 but i feel like the level of competition is just not there yet. I look at his resume and none of the names really pop off or wow me. I personally think his biggest win is Conor, which is impressive but i don't think it's enough to put him at GOAT levels yet.

We all know the the Triumvirate of GSP, Silva, Jones, and whatever order you rank them. Then there's also the argument for Stipe, we watched him beat legend after legend then take out a legit new destroyer of worlds level threat in Ngannou, then get his title back by beating DC and giving him his first loss at HW. So can see how he could easily be in someone's top 3 over Khabib when you compare their resume's.

So basically if Khabib is not in your top 3 yet, what does he have to do to get in as one your top 3, potentially number 1 all time.

<JRSmith40>

He's the undisputed LW GOAT if he beats Gaethje. Top 3 GOAT? He'd have to beat Gaethje and defend 2 or 3 more times and then retire at like 31 or 32-0. That would be unprecedented.

If he beats Gaethje, we can start talking about it. No real challenges left after that.

Still would have liked to see Khabib vs Ferguson though.

I think he's still behind GSP, Fedor, Silva, Jones, Mighty Mouse, and Aldo

He really just needs to be more active. In their primes - the people in my list above were fighting multiple times per year and racking up a lot of title defenses.

If Khabib goes on a tear this year and next beating Justin, and then maybe a few others (not sure who), then I would probably put him in the top 5 (past MM and Aldo). Then if he does that AGAIN for another couple of years I would probably consider him in the top 3.

It all gets so subjective when you talk about GOAT's for MMA. The reality is that we really don't have one

If he runs through Justin, Tony, and maybe 2 or 3 defenses against top contenders in the next few years, I’m talking about him in that context.

Question for the people who think Khabib is on his way to GOAT status but don't quite have him in their top 3 yet.

Personally i really want to put him in my top 3 right now but i just feel like i need something more from him. I mean yeah he's 28-0 but i feel like the level of competition is just not there yet. I look at his resume and none of the names really pop off or wow me. I personally think his biggest win is Conor, which is impressive but i don't think it's enough to put him at GOAT levels yet.

We all know the the Triumvirate of GSP, Silva, Jones, and whatever order you rank them. Then there's also the argument for Stipe, we watched him beat legend after legend then take out a legit new destroyer of worlds level threat in Ngannou, then get his title back by beating DC and giving him his first loss at HW. So can see how he could easily be in someone's top 3 over Khabib when you compare their resume's.

So basically if Khabib is not in your top 3 yet, what does he have to do to get in as one your top 3, potentially number 1 all time.

<JRSmith40>
Guys never been beat or close to it, he has wins over solid opponents as well. He hasn’t defended the title like others as yet and tbh may not as think he’s not far off retiring. So really depends what criteria is used. Personally I think he is up there and will be much more appreciated when he retires.

I think he's still behind GSP, Fedor, Silva, Jones, Mighty Mouse, and Aldo

He really just needs to be more active. In their primes - the people in my list above were fighting multiple times per year and racking up a lot of title defenses.

If Khabib goes on a tear this year and next beating Justin, and then maybe a few others (not sure who), then I would probably put him in the top 5 (past MM and Aldo). Then if he does that AGAIN for another couple of years I would probably consider him in the top 3.

It all gets so subjective when you talk about GOAT's for MMA. The reality is that we really don't have one
Lol Mighty Mouse feasted on a weak division. Khabib is dominating the most stacked division in UFC history.

<JRSmith40>

Has Khabib surpassed Fedor in GOAT standings?

He would have to win about 16 more consecutive fights against all time great fighters, which LW doesn't have.

This is the most shallow LW has been in a while.

28-0 is bad ass but it's filled with a few fighters between okay and good and who the fuck is that?

There just isn't stiff enough competition for him to be anywhere near GOAT but in order to get there?

If he beat Usman, Adesanya, Paolo Acosta, Romero, T-Wood, Colby, Whitaker, Edwards, Thiago Santos, Domic Reyes, Volkanovski, Holloway and Ortega, he would be up there.

title defenses is the most overrated bullshit criteria of judging the greatness of a fighter, the people who keep bringing this up probably scratch their own anus then smell it

like seriously, some people get the belt after 10 wins, some people are lucky and UFC gifted him the belt after 3 wins
it's absolute bullshit
not to mention some fighters change weight classes often

anyone who doesn't look at the resume of fighters someone has faced, instead of title defenses, need to get slap in the face

I don't know about GOAT talks and rating him above other legends. But if he comes back, beats justin and goes 30-0 after losing his dad ... The mental strength to do that would be pretty insane

title defenses is the most overrated bullshit criteria of judging the greatness of a fighter, the people who keep bringing this up probably scratch their own anus then smell it

like seriously, some people get the belt after 10 wins, some people are lucky and UFC gifted him the belt after 3 wins
it's absolute bullshit
not to mention some fighters change weight classes often

anyone who doesn't look at the resume of fighters someone has faced, instead of title defenses, need to get slap in the face

The reason title defenses matter is because those wins are against top fighters. 10 wins before the belt = lots of fights against unranked guys. How many top 5 wins does Khabib have? What was his path to the title like? His best wins are RDA, Barboza, Conor & Dustin. He won the belt in a fight with Iaquinta on a couple days notice and I believe Al was ranked like 10th at the time. Khabib's resume is simply too thin compared to other all time greats and guys like Conor & Barboza are perfect stylistic matchups for him to dominate. He needs to be more active and rack up some defenses.

He already is the a goat. But the blind people will catch up on it years later. MMA has never seen a more dominant grappling phenom of a talent and fighter like Nurmagomedov

He would have to win about 16 more consecutive fights against all time great fighters, which LW doesn't have.

This is the most shallow LW has been in a while.

28-0 is bad ass but it's filled with a few fighters between okay and good and who the fuck is that?

There just isn't stiff enough competition for him to be anywhere near GOAT but in order to get there?

If he beat Usman, Adesanya, Paolo Acosta, Romero, T-Wood, Colby, Whitaker, Edwards, Thiago Santos, Domic Reyes, Volkanovski, Holloway and Ortega, he would be up there.
This has to be the dumbest post i have ever read on sherdog forum.

Everyone is now dumber by having read your post. I award you NO likes and my god have mercy on your soul.

Last edited:
Whats up lately with this need to rush everyone into GOAT contention? You guys gotta stop watering down the term. GOATs dominate a division for years on end and take on all kinds of styles and hungry nr. 1 contenders.

He’s on a good run, but I’d say about 4 more GOOD wins , so no more Iaquintas, and he could be in the top 5 discussion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back