At what belt level can you teach BJJ?

It takes a Purple to run a recognized academy or affiliate club for most BJJ clans, Gracie-Barra for instance. If there is no Purple around a blue may run the club, but he is usually still recieving instruction from a purple or higher somewhere.
Like my buddy Charles who was made a blue so he can teach in this remote-ass town in the woods someplace, the next nearest BJJ blue belt is 300 miles away!

experienced blue that trains with higer belts on a consistant basis.

I'm a Judoka and my brother is a blue belt BJJ practitioner and when we get together every few months he shows me grappling techniques and I teach him a few throws. His blue belt level BJJ seems knowledgeable enough where I wouldn't mind learning from a blue.

a blue can teach jiu jitsu. Is it optimal? No, both for the blue and his students.

A good blue can teach for sure. There is a HUGE variance in skill level in blues (maybe more then any other belt), but if they are solid I have no problem with them teaching.

As has been said...

There is nothing wrong training under a blue belt or even a white belt for that matter. As well all know BJJ is not like TMA where there are 9 year old black belts that are lethal killing machines.
There are still many areas of north america that do not have immediate face-to-face contact with a black belt on a daily basis. In this case you train with what you have access to.

As long as the dude is not mis-representing himself (as other have said) and is honest about himself (or herself) go out, train and have a good time.

I would add though, that ideally your "instructor" has regular contact/instructor with a high level instructor and is actively working to improve...

As has been said...

There is nothing wrong training under a blue belt or even a white belt for that matter. As well all know BJJ is not like TMA where there are 9 year old black belts that are lethal killing machines.
There are still many areas of north america that do not have immediate face-to-face contact with a black belt on a daily basis. In this case you train with what you have access to.

As long as the dude is not mis-representing himself (as other have said) and is honest about himself (or herself) go out, train and have a good time.

I would add though, that ideally your "instructor" has regular contact/instructor with a high level instructor and is actively working to improve...

Well said, thanks!

I am a bluebelt under 2 legit BJJ blackbelts and have been for over a year now.

While im away @ university i am contracted by a gym similar to a Goodlife Fitness (for example) that pays me to teach BJJ at their club twice a week. My class size usually ranges from 7-15 students but everyone is relatively new at bjj.

I find that not only am I fully capable of teaching the class (which runs for 1 1/2 hours 2x a week) but my students are fully capable of deciding whether i am legit and worth their time. Tons of people come and go; some with experience, some without, but unless someone walks through the door and destroys me, or even comes close, my students will continue to enjoy getting their ass beaten up by me.

ps. there is a BJJ blackbelt in my town, one of the 60 or so in Canada and people still chose to come to the club i train at.

cheers!

I worked under a blue belt for a year or so and then began training under a purple belt. Now I've moved and found a brown belt to train under. I have never been disappointed with any of their teaching ability and knowledge and/or skill. As I've become better, I obviously see things in higher belts but as a white belt, learning from a blue is perfectly acceptable for about the first 6-8 months.

I think it's ok but you will not learn much. Check if he does pratice under a black belt at least every week.

i know cristian da oliveira rodriges a brown belt from gracie barra recife
his master Ze radiola came in france to give him his brown belt
before that cristian can't teach jjb he said that he need this belt to teach in france

What Belt Do You Have To Be To Promote Someone. Say From Blue To Purple

So this guy with a blue belt who is teaching, can he actually promote someone?

What Belt Do You Have To Be To Promote Someone. Say From Blue To Purple

brown.

Purple belts can promote to Blue with 4 stripes

Blue can technically promote to white with 4 stripes

My first instructor in legit BJJ was a rereactional club guy at a college club who was a self-admitted white belt. I learned the basics solidly from him, mostly because he was a good teacher. Belt didn't matter, just getting down the skillset.

Funny enough though, I think if we rolled now, I'd steamroll him.

Basically, you're as a good as your teacher and training partners, but SOMEONE is better than no one.

Back