At what age did you feel like an adult?

Yeah I know what you mean. Took a risk at 31 getting married. That went hilariously bad. Took another risk moving cross country for school, which didn't work due to circumstances beyond my control.

And now Ive just taken another risk moving across country again to an area with more job opportunities. I don't really consider them risks, because in each situation it was realistically the only good option at the time. All you can do is try to line things up and then swing for the fences. As long as you're trying your best, you know?

I know exactly what you mean.

I agree strongly.

When I was 10 years old I felt pretty mature because I had to take care of my mother and the house when my mother was really lost. But by 15-18 I was living the life of a normal to slightly immature late teen. I went to school but wasn't serious about my studies despite being at a huge advantage over my peers and likewise I worked but I never took it seriously.

I really had my personal life sorted by 21 but my self worth was highly tied to my martial arts career but a few injuries later and getting laid off I wasn't even training anymore. I wouldn't call it a personal crisis but I certainly didn't know what the heck I was doing for a few years.

I can say I've very rarely tied my self worth to a woman and I've certainly saved myself a lot of trouble and pain in the process. Outside of my mother that is; but she's taught my a lot about the realities of a male/female relations.

I’ve gone through 3 major changes in my adult life that took me on completely different paths in different parts of the world. I ended up where I was with no plan and was sure I would be set there indefinitely until the first 2 went south and now I’m on my third, which looks to be the best place I’ve been in on a personal and professional level so far. I still dunno where it’s going exactly, but so far, so good.

It’s funny, any plan I’ve ever made never once worked out and my life went in a totally different direction. I just quit trying to make plans and just let the chips fall where they may. Seems to work the best for me.

It’s funny, any plan I’ve ever made never once worked out and my life went in a totally different direction. I just quit trying to make plans and just let the chips fall where they may. Seems to work the best for me.
Much less to lose that way and less resentment to go along with it. But for me I don't want to be a victim of circumstance and I'd like to feel like I've guided this wave at least a little.

That had nothing to do with your age, it was because you insisted on wearing speedos.
giphy.gif

Turning 37 was a holy shit moment. Not real sure why but since then I think I've accepted adulthood. Practicing my codgerism for old age. Honing my technique.

Maybe when I got sober at 23? Going through that process was pretty humbling.

In 27 and wouldnt mind not waking up tomorrow morning

Does that count?

When my dad died my whole family looked to me for support and comfort. It was odd because he was always that guy. I realized I had become him. I was 32.

Around 27, began to make plans for the future and not just for the day! A decent career and a family to go with that!

At 18 I was on my own. Worked a few years, saved up for school. Put myself through school while working. At 22 I was taking care of two of my brother In-law's kids. I Prolly didn't understand how fucked up humans were though until I was 26 or so. I didn't really understand how to cry until I was holding my first son in my arms while he died shortly after birth, and didn't really understand how to love until my second son was born.

Sorry for your loss.

I think 28 was the magic number. I was talking to a hottie in the local bar and she asked me my age. I said "28" and she went "Oh!" like she was thinking "I'm 22 and he's 28. He's nearly 30 years old!!!!!". It was funny but kind of unnerving. I had been in the Navy, living as an adult since I was legally an adult but that moment cemented the thought that I wasn't a kid anymore.

I'm 30 and still waiting.

23. I was a brand new officer in the Army, and I was in charge of an organization made up of 43 people, and I was directly responsible for the direction their lives took. I had a guy who was identified as a pretty severe alcoholic who had been hiding it, so I had to legally direct him not to have a single drink for next month, took steps to have him monitored, and took steps to have him sent to a rehabilitation program. It was a really powerful moment, and it made me grow up a lot. Yeah, I was 23 and still trying to figure myself out, but that wasn't as important anymore. What was important was taking care of this life in front of me, a life that I had been charged to care for. When that happened, I wasn't the same person I was beforehand, and I had to be an adult all the time. No more wandering, no more bullshit. If I was going to do that stuff, it needed to be compartmentalized for something to do on my own time. When I was doing my duty, I needed to display maturity, good judgment, and presence of mind.

Back